Disappearing Jet

faraway saint

Flying display at the Low Green Ayr, the seafront effectively and static display at the airport the following day. I spoke to one of the organisers yesterday and was told current regulations governing airshows mean the airport can't currently host the flying onsite. What she also told me was that the Red Arrows are looking very likely to appear at it in full display mode.

Flying display at the Low Green Ayr, the seafront effectively and static display at the airport the following day. I spoke to one of the organisers yesterday and was told current regulations governing airshows mean the airport can't currently host the flying onsite. What she also told me was that the Red Arrows are looking very likely to appear at it in full display mode.

http://www.scottishairshow.com/

Back on topic.How the hell can they find a wee boat 46 miles from Aberdeen but cant find a Feckin plane.Nothing nada zilch.Unless the grandson was screaming in a high pitched voice "No more stories from back in the day grandad"at the top of his voice.

My earliest memory of plane-spotting was over the fence between the Gockston prefabs where I lived and HMS Sanderling. In those days every single engined monoplane we saw was naturally automatically deemed to be a Spitfire. Occasionally it was. Then we graduated to Renfrew Airport. Boy that was class. All those 'Daks' flying in and then came Viscounts. The Vanguard for me was such a beautiful plane. And I'm sure the few of you out there of around my vintage will remember the old Avro York that flew out of Renfrew about teatime every day. It was a conversion of the Lancaster bomber from WW2. I think Dan Dare was the airline. Graduating to Prestwick like Poz did was a bit like going abroad. Trans-Atlantic airliners and American military types all over the place. It all seemed absolutely magical.

It never leaves you. I can't not look up when any aircraft flies over. A huge regret I have is that I have never flown in a DC3. Had the chance a couple of times and for different reasons couldn't go. There was one over here a few years back flying up and down Belfast Lough but it was all sold out before I heard about it. Bugger.

Back on topic.How the hell can they find a wee boat 46 miles from Aberdeen but cant find a Feckin plane.Nothing nada zilch.Unless the grandson was screaming in a high pitched voice "No more stories from back in the day grandad"at the top of his voice.

Not sure if you guys down there seen the press conference with these two in the boat from Gourdon.

Asked what they had to eat after 52 hours, 2 biscuits was the answer.

The grandson is obviously fond of his doughnuts so the old boy pipes up "He's lost 2 stone already". thumbup2.gif

My earliest memory of plane-spotting was over the fence between the Gockston prefabs where I lived and HMS Sanderling. In those days every single engined monoplane we saw was naturally automatically deemed to be a Spitfire. Occasionally it was. Then we graduated to Renfrew Airport. Boy that was class. All those 'Daks' flying in and then came Viscounts. The Vanguard for me was such a beautiful plane. And I'm sure the few of you out there of around my vintage will remember the old Avro York that flew out of Renfrew about teatime every day. It was a conversion of the Lancaster bomber from WW2. I think Dan Dare was the airline. Graduating to Prestwick like Poz did was a bit like going abroad. Trans-Atlantic airliners and American military types all over the place. It all seemed absolutely magical.

It never leaves you. I can't not look up when any aircraft flies over. A huge regret I have is that I have never flown in a DC3. Had the chance a couple of times and for different reasons couldn't go. There was one over here a few years back flying up and down Belfast Lough but it was all sold out before I heard about it. Bugger.

Have you ever counted planes from the back of the Family Stand at Greenhill Road ?

Not sure if you guys down there seen the press conference with these two in the boat from Gourdon.

Asked what they had to eat after 52 hours, 2 biscuits was the answer.

The grandson is obviously fond of his doughnuts so the old boy pipes up "He's lost 2 stone already". thumbup2.gif

I liked them.

They were funny. lol.gif

Have you ever counted planes from the back of the Family Stand at Greenhill Road ?

I always got mixed up after four or five. Ciphering was never my strong point. Mind you I always managed to count above five on the hundreds of occasions when Saints scored six or more.

I always got mixed up after four or five. Ciphering was never my strong point. Mind you I always managed to count above five on the hundreds of occasions when Saints scored six or more.

Abby will keep count and i'll text you the final figure and aw the different colours.

Abby will keep count and i'll text you the final figure and aw the different colours.

Could she throw in the registration numbers? Got into that habit when we got BXS in Paisley. It was big kudos to claim you had seen a higher BXS than your pals.

Could she throw in the registration numbers? Got into that habit when we got BXS in Paisley. It was big kudos to claim you had seen a higher BXS than your pals.

Depends how exciting the game is.

Probably.

My Dad was RAF during WW2 so I was kind of steeped in the plane thing as a boy. I remember him saying some evenings "There's the York leaving Renfrew , can you hear the 4 Merlins" :-)

My Dad was RAF during WW2 so I was kind of steeped in the plane thing as a boy. I remember him saying some evenings "There's the York leaving Renfrew , can you hear the 4 Merlins" :-)

I remember that noise so well too. My uncle was a radio operator/gunner on Lancasters and unfortunately was killed in 1944 over France when they were shot down by a night fighter. Two Canadian crew members managed to parachute to safety so the family heard the full story. Because of my uncle, when I came along I got kind of steeped in it too.

Spitfires were powered by Merlins as well but if you've heard a Spit or Hurricane flying, it always sounds to me like it's about to cut out. Never does, right enough. I'm sure there's a good reason for that sound.

I got a graphic design job in the communications department of Jetstream Aircraft in Prestwick in 1995/6. They were still building aircraft there then. It was a great job, only a one-year short contract though. Used to have lunch sitting watching British Airways pilots in 747s do bump-and-run training at Prestwick. It was a fascinating huge complex. Aviation history all around you.

I agree that if you were into aircraft and a 'plane spotter' as a kid - part of it never leaves you. I still look up myself every time I hear a plane, and still love the buzz, the vibe and the activity at airports. Maybe flying has lost a lot of its mystique, but I still love flying. Never take it for granted. Was walking in Edinburgh with my mate this week, and in crystal clear blue skies he looked up and saw the vapour trails of a jet going somewhere at full pelt. He says to me 'Weird isn't it. To think that thing is full of people being offered chicken or pasta, and a wee glass of wine. Miles up in the sky at 500 miles an hour.'

Cannae' take that for granted surely.

My uncle was based there during his National Service, and I recall my mother taking me down as a nipper to talk to him through the fence. I have a vague recollection of what I think now to be Seahawks and Gannets. I became hooked on planes, and spent a lot of time on the obs deck at Abbotsinch (I remember one particularly cold and foggy morning, waiting for an SAS Caravelle to make its arrival). We used to take a tent down to Prestwick and pitch it just at the railway bridge that goes over to the caravan site beyond the end of the runway. For breakfast, one of the lads would 'borrow' rolls and milk from the steps of the airport offices!

I got a graphic design job in the communications department of Jetstream Aircraft in Prestwick in 1995/6. They were still building aircraft there then. It was a great job, only a one-year short contract though. Used to have lunch sitting watching British Airways pilots in 747s do bump-and-run training at Prestwick. It was a fascinating huge complex. Aviation history all around you.

I agree that if you were into aircraft and a 'plane spotter' as a kid - part of it never leaves you. I still look up myself every time I hear a plane, and still love the buzz, the vibe and the activity at airports. Maybe flying has lost a lot of its mystique, but I still love flying. Never take it for granted. Was walking in Edinburgh with my mate this week, and in crystal clear blue skies he looked up and saw the vapour trails of a jet going somewhere at full pelt. He says to me 'Weird isn't it. To think that thing is full of people being offered chicken or pasta, and a wee glass of wine. Miles up in the sky at 500 miles an hour.'

Cannae' take that for granted surely.

I have an app on my phone, you point it at a plane in the sky and it tells you where the plane is heading. I thought that was so cool when I bought it!

I did work experience at Glasgow Airport as a kid (suspect most of Paisley did at that time!) and it was great fun- pre 9/11 so security wasn't as tight. I still like the technology and design of planes, but find the experience for an economy passenger these days is getting worse as airlines race to the bottom for cash. I guess it's only a seat for 7-10hrs but it can still be a crap experience depending on airline.

My aeroplane geekery started in primary 6 or so when during a schools 'jobs week' various people with interesting jobs came to the school to give us class talks about their careers. One of which was a Loganair pilot who came from Inchinnan and flew the wee Islander planes around the highlands & islands for a living. I was instantly hooked and wanted to be a pilot. As a result of that myself and a few equally impressed school mates started cycling down to the airport of a summer weekend to watch the comings and goings, it beat hanging about the piazza kicking stones.

We never really thought of ourselves as spotters, no logbooks, bincoculars or airband radios, we were never really interested in seeing a complete fleet of Tridents or BAC1-11's, we actually kind of sneered at those dudes in their anoraks. No we were more romanticists, (probably more like 'new' romanticists, given the era and some of the ridiculous attempts at looking 'cool' with half a tub of hair gel !) So we'd stand on the roof of the wee NCP car park, or sit in the old terminal, skim the big pond for a bus fare or something to spend in the shop and peek in the big hangars at the Loganair HQ to see what was inside. We'd wonder where some of those planes were going to, what the weather was like there and if we'd ever be able to afford a flight somewhere ?

The other thing that attracted me to the airport was the buzz and liveliness off the place, we liked people watching too, I remember chasing after John Craven one day, looking for an autograph in exchange for a strawberry chewit ! And of course as we grew up in Paisley and in the shadow of the place, everyone knew a mum or dad, auntie or uncle, big brother or sister, or yer neighbours dad or someone who worked there. So you'd get invited in for a look round the control tower, or the old Vickers plane on the fire dump, maybe a spin round the apron and runway in a security car or the main event... invited to the kids Christmas parties in the BAA offices. I saw the airport more as kind of mini community, and a buzzing exciting place with amazing big planes to gawp at and a few good looking stewardesses in their glamourous get up's to wolf whistle at ! My mate's maw worked as a manager in Servisair and would tip us off anytime something unusual was coming in, she got us in airside to see the Lockheed Galaxy flyover and the 747/Space Shuttle ! We'd usually also get given a nice wee goodie bag of those mini Schweppes cans you got on planes and wee bags of British Airways crisps or nuts, plus the odd plastic model plane from the duty free.

Of course as I got older, I grew into more traditional teenage pursuits, beer and burds and fitba, but yes as other's have said, it gets under the skin a bit and never leaves you. Eventually I grew up and finally made that flight to somewhere far away, I still do now, and appreciate it every time. Some of those wee pals of mine back in the late 70's and early 80's work there now, some have really good jobs and sometimes I still get invited down for a wee spin around in a security van or a look at what's going on behind the scenes. Aye, still never a dull moment !

Edited by FS

Must admit that I too have fascination with watching planes landing and taking off. Like many of you I was regularly taken to the viewing gallery at Glasgow Airport.

However, my main fascination is with car ferries. I think it stems from regularly travelling between Weymss Bay and Rothesay as a child, on the likes of The Bute, The Cowal, The Glen Sannox and latterly The Saturn.

Even sadder when I'm on holiday at a coastal resort I make beeline for the ferry port. Imagine my delight when in Malaga and Nice, when we turned up and the ferry ports were a stone throw away. My wife just shakes her head and lets me get on with my "ferry watching".

The photo below is one of the ferries that travels between Nice and Corsica/Sardinia.

post-5-0-32140500-1400851375_thumb.jpg

post-5-0-97883500-1400851474_thumb.jpg

post-5-0-55808700-1400851583_thumb.jpg

Edited by FTOF