Disappearing Jet

faraway saint

My earliest memory of plane-spotting was over the fence between the Gockston prefabs where I lived and HMS Sanderling. In those days every single engined monoplane we saw was naturally automatically deemed to be a Spitfire. Occasionally it was. Then we graduated to Renfrew Airport. Boy that was class. All those 'Daks' flying in and then came Viscounts. The Vanguard for me was such a beautiful plane. And I'm sure the few of you out there of around my vintage will remember the old Avro York that flew out of Renfrew about teatime every day. It was a conversion of the Lancaster bomber from WW2. I think Dan Dare was the airline. Graduating to Prestwick like Poz did was a bit like going abroad. Trans-Atlantic airliners and American military types all over the place. It all seemed absolutely magical.

It never leaves you. I can't not look up when any aircraft flies over. A huge regret I have is that I have never flown in a DC3. Had the chance a couple of times and for different reasons couldn't go. There was one over here a few years back flying up and down Belfast Lough but it was all sold out before I heard about it. Bugger.

Along with the Comet , I would agree that the Viscount and the Vanguard were beautiful aircraft . I was fortunate enough to fly on all three of them . The Vanguard produced a bit of vibration in the cabin during the cruise due to those massive props , you also knew when one was flying over your house per the vibration , also . Long after BEA ceased flying them on passenger flights , they converted them to frieghters(the Merchantman) , which meant you still saw them well into the 7ts. .

I was taken on a school trip to Ayr , when I was at primary school. The bus took us to Prestwick Airport first and we all went up to the viewing area mentioned earlier . Mainly 707's and VC10's(types not commonly seen when you lived under the Abbotsinch flight path) were there and the BOAC Viscount used for transferring passengers. .

There was also the ubiquitous Starlifter from the USAF . I don't think they were bringing in peanut butter. .

Along with the Comet , I would agree that the Viscount and the Vanguard were beautiful aircraft . I was fortunate enough to fly on all three of them . The Vanguard produced a bit of vibration in the cabin during the cruise due to those massive props , you also knew when one was flying over your house per the vibration , also . Long after BEA ceased flying them on passenger flights , they converted them to frieghters(the Merchantman) , which meant you still saw them well into the 7ts. .

I was taken on a school trip to Ayr , when I was at primary school. The bus took us to Prestwick Airport first and we all went up to the viewing area mentioned earlier . Mainly 707's and VC10's(types not commonly seen when you lived under the Abbotsinch flight path) were there and the BOAC Viscount used for transferring passengers. .

There was also the ubiquitous Starlifter from the USAF . I don't think they were bringing in peanut butter. .

Ahh, Memories ! smile.png

My uncle was based there during his National Service, and I recall my mother taking me down as a nipper to talk to him through the fence. I have a vague recollection of what I think now to be Seahawks and Gannets. I became hooked on planes, and spent a lot of time on the obs deck at Abbotsinch (I remember one particularly cold and foggy morning, waiting for an SAS Caravelle to make its arrival). We used to take a tent down to Prestwick and pitch it just at the railway bridge that goes over to the caravan site beyond the end of the runway. For breakfast, one of the lads would 'borrow' rolls and milk from the steps of the airport offices!

That was Barlinnie.

My uncle was based there during his National Service, and I recall my mother taking me down as a nipper to talk to him through the fence. I have a vague recollection of what I think now to be Seahawks and Gannets. I became hooked on planes, and spent a lot of time on the obs deck at Abbotsinch (I remember one particularly cold and foggy morning, waiting for an SAS Caravelle to make its arrival). We used to take a tent down to Prestwick and pitch it just at the railway bridge that goes over to the caravan site beyond the end of the runway. For breakfast, one of the lads would 'borrow' rolls and milk from the steps of the airport offices!

I went to Majorca in a Caravelle in 1981. It was some cheap Spanish airline but I don't remember the name. Something like Glue and String Airways. On the way out we were in the rear seats and the noise was horrendous. I had to yell into Margaret's ear so she could hear me so on the return flight a fortnight later I made sure we were at Palma Airport good and early and we actually got the front seats. I'm sure some of you have sat at Palma with the doors open and with the outside temperature at about 90c you bloody nearly melt. Then a stewardess brought us blankets! i asked wtf. but none of them spoke English. But I found out when we were a few thousand feet up. It would have froze the balls of you. A member of the aircrew was going for a pee or some such and as he spoke good English i asked him what it was all about. Apparently there was a build up of ice around the front doors and as the seal wasn't great, it got cold as hell. I could have done without knowing that. How safe could it have been? I've never been so glad in my life to get over the Clyde and land at Abbotsinch in my life. I've told that story to quite a few people and they don't believe me but I promise it is true. Thankfully Caravelles are things of the past now but I would never have gone near another one for all the money in the world.

I have an app on my phone, you point it at a plane in the sky and it tells you where the plane is heading. I thought that was so cool when I bought it!

I did work experience at Glasgow Airport as a kid (suspect most of Paisley did at that time!) and it was great fun- pre 9/11 so security wasn't as tight. I still like the technology and design of planes, but find the experience for an economy passenger these days is getting worse as airlines race to the bottom for cash. I guess it's only a seat for 7-10hrs but it can still be a crap experience depending on airline.

Can you still get an app like that? I'd love one.

Don't know if there are apps for them but try googling Flightradar or Planefinder, Rick. Not sure about pointing at the sky but if you know where you are and have a sense of direction they'll work for you.

Must admit that I too have fascination with watching planes landing and taking off. Like many of you I was regularly taken to the viewing gallery at Glasgow Airport.

However, my main fascination is with car ferries. I think it stems from regularly travelling between Weymss Bay and Rothesay as a child, on the likes of The Bute, The Cowal, The Glen Sannox and latterly The Saturn.

Even sadder when I'm on holiday at a coastal resort I make beeline for the ferry port. Imagine my delight when in Malaga and Nice, when we turned up and the ferry ports were a stone throw away. My wife just shakes her head and lets me get on with my "ferry watching".

The photo below is one of the ferries that travels between Nice and Corsica/Sardinia.

We went to Rothesay most years in the 50's and I just loved the paddle steamers. The Jupiter was my favourite but I liked the Jeannie Deans and the Waverley too. I liked them all, truth be told. The modern day car ferries just don't compare but I still enjoy my trips on Stena or P&O. I always keep my eye on AIS Ship and if anything interesting is heading for Belfast Lough I get myself down to the seafront. Just a big wean!

I went to Majorca in a Caravelle in 1981. It was some cheap Spanish airline but I don't remember the name. Something like Glue and String Airways. On the way out we were in the rear seats and the noise was horrendous. I had to yell into Margaret's ear so she could hear me so on the return flight a fortnight later I made sure we were at Palma Airport good and early and we actually got the front seats. I'm sure some of you have sat at Palma with the doors open and with the outside temperature at about 90c you bloody nearly melt. Then a stewardess brought us blankets! i asked wtf. but none of them spoke English. But I found out when we were a few thousand feet up. It would have froze the balls of you. A member of the aircrew was going for a pee or some such and as he spoke good English i asked him what it was all about. Apparently there was a build up of ice around the front doors and as the seal wasn't great, it got cold as hell. I could have done without knowing that. How safe could it have been? I've never been so glad in my life to get over the Clyde and land at Abbotsinch in my life. I've told that story to quite a few people and they don't believe me but I promise it is true. Thankfully Caravelles are things of the past now but I would never have gone near another one for all the money in the world.

I believe you. .

I heard of a similar door seal problem once on a Viscount but in that case it was the chattering noise rather than cold that bothered the occupants . The Caravelle was based on the Comet (same nose section and same engines) and it had those cabin windows that were shaped like rounded triangles . However , a more probable cause of the very cold conditions , I reckon , would be a problem with the heating system that worked off the engines at the back . It was also the first aircraft to have its engines there . Sud-Aviation charged every other manufacturer , that subsequently built aircraft with engines there , a license charge/royalty. .

The Caravelle sold in much greater numbers than the Comet and the last Caravelles were only withdrawn about 10yrs ago. .blink.png