Green Puke V St Mirren Top League 22/3/14

shull

That's because oor toons full of green reptiles

hold on a minute, green reptiles?, frogs?, celtic pub?, close enough for me....

yer covers blown big eyes, 'bad toad' 'bad toad' :hammer

The pub I hopped into was Cafe Borgia which I had been assured isn't a Celtic pub particularly.

Just on the game though, am I the only one who thinks we were very lucky that Celtics shooting was dreadful or else it could have been six or seven ?

That and Kello being a great keeper saved us a bit. Thank goodness we won't be seeing Celtic for a while.

Nerves summed up Saints performance yesterday! I'd say for most of the match we looked like relegation candidates

If Kenny MacLean had his best game in a Saints jersey last time out then this performance was one of his worst.

Now substitutions; I was elated to see Campbell coming on with most of the second half to play but DL played him in a center forward role. He's the size of tuppence and facing giants how on earth could he make an impression? Why wasn't he played on the wing where he's shone before? Whilst I agreed with the players coming on I totally disagreed with the players coming off especially Gowser and Thommo. Surely Magennis and MacLean should have been the two? This for me has always been my biggest problem with DL - substitutions. He hasn't got a clue.

Whilst I agreed with the players coming on I totally disagreed with the players coming off especially Gowser and Thommo. Surely Magennis and MacLean should have been the two? This for me has always been my biggest problem with DL - substitutions. He hasn't got a clue.

... unless the players coming off were being taken off with a view to Tuesday night's game?

Magennis has been another bad signing. He has been given several starts, unlike Campbell.

Look on the bright side. He's a contracted Aberdeen player, not a St Mirren player. He can piss off back to them at the end of the season. He's still got the club suit and tie.

The pub I hopped into was Cafe Borgia which I had been assured isn't a Celtic pub particularly.

Just on the game though, am I the only one who thinks we were very lucky that Celtics shooting was dreadful or else it could have been six or seven ?

That and Kello being a great keeper saved us a bit. Thank goodness we won't be seeing Celtic for a while.

Don't know why you're getting a hard time, it was 3 going on 10 with the number of clear cut chances they had.

Just watched the highlights.

Our defence lacks conviction, and cannot deal with pace. Celtic didn't need to work hard for their goals.

We seemed to conceded lots of space on the flanks with our full backs dropping into the centre, but it meant Celtic had plenty of time and space to pick out their men from crosses and passes.

Nerves summed up Saints performance yesterday! I'd say for most of the match we looked like relegation candidates

If Kenny MacLean had his best game in a Saints jersey last time out then this performance was one of his worst.

Now substitutions; I was elated to see Campbell coming on with most of the second half to play but DL played him in a center forward role. He's the size of tuppence and facing giants how on earth could he make an impression? Why wasn't he played on the wing where he's shone before? Whilst I agreed with the players coming on I totally disagreed with the players coming off especially Gowser and Thommo. Surely Magennis and MacLean should have been the two? This for me has always been my biggest problem with DL - substitutions. He hasn't got a clue.

Saving two of our most important players for a huge game on Tuesday night. Are you sure its Danny that hasn't got a clue?

Watching the highlights, I have to say we were lucky not to have been given a hiding. Surely playing against Celtic you need to provide protection to the back four. Not sure why Goodwin didn't get a start.

Thank you Sir Alex Ferguson. lol.gif

If you read over the posts it's impossible to keep everybody happy.

No matter what team is picked, no matter who is a sub, no matter who plays where, no matter who get's on or doesn't its.........................................well, even you can guess the last bit. whistling.gif

We seemed to conceded lots of space on the flanks with our full backs dropping into the centre, but it meant Celtic had plenty of time and space to pick out their men from crosses and passes.

Aye.

We also seemed to be chasing their forwards back at times, as opposed to making them have to play through our defence.

Aye.

We also seemed to be chasing their forwards back at times, as opposed to making them have to play through our defence.

Very true Drew, but I suppose that the gambit of pressing them high is always going to leave those wide open spaces at the back.

I'm happy that we at least tried to take the game to them, this tactic will hopefully reap greater rewards now that we won't be up against a team with the resources and playing staff of the bhigots for the rest of the season.

Very true Drew, but I suppose that the gambit of pressing them high is always going to leave those wide open spaces at the back.

I'm happy that we at least tried to take the game to them, this tactic will hopefully reap greater rewards now that we won't be up against a team with the resources and playing staff of the bhigots for the rest of the season.

Good point, mate.

It is a difficult balance to strike, and I wouldn't want to see the bus being parked. That said, there can be a wee bit of naivety in our defence from time to time, though that can be forgiven as they are a young(ish) unit.

We could do with a Tommy Turner type character in front of the defence. JG fulfills that role to a degree, but isn't disciplined enough at times.

Good point, mate.

It is a difficult balance to strike, and I wouldn't want to see the bus being parked. That said, there can be a wee bit of naivety in our defence from time to time, though that can be forgiven as they are a young(ish) unit.

We could do with a Tommy Turner type character in front of the defence. JG fulfills that role to a degree, but isn't disciplined enough at times.

Yes indeed Bud, it is unfortunate but true, we are hamstrung by the lack of a savvy leader at the back, but on the upside so are most of our rivals in the battle to avoid the playoff place, and with the genuine, if somewhat erratic ( excluding the mercurial McGinn ), talents and goal scoring threat from midfield, coupled with sheer bloody minded will to score from the Thommohawk I still feel that we will survive.

Yes indeed Bud, it is unfortunate but true, we are hamstrung by the lack of a savvy leader at the back, but on the upside so are most of our rivals in the battle to avoid the playoff place, and with the genuine, if somewhat erratic ( excluding the mercurial McGinn ), talents and goal scoring threat from midfield, coupled with sheer bloody minded will to score from the Thommohawk I still feel that we will survive.

Agreed.

I think we will survive, though I think it might be through the play-off, ultimately.

If nothing else, it won't be dull in the run-in....

Saving two of our most important players for a huge game on Tuesday night. Are you sure its Danny that hasn't got a clue?

Neil, I see your're getting a wee bit emotional.

When we get into that mode our judgement is scientifically proven not to be trustworthy. Now, my criticism of DL on substitutions didn't start on Saturday and if you care to do a search you'll find I started a thread some two years ago on this issue.

Thommo was subbed when we were one down. Hardly a scoreline to suggest the game was over! We've beaten Celtic in the past when all the odds were against us and for DL to retreat by making the substitutions he made is, well... inexplicable.

'huge game on Tuesday night', Given our league position don't you just think that every game from now on is, 'huge'? We don't have the luxury to choose what game is more important than others, we've got to fight tooth and nail in EVERY game!

In my thread a long time ago, I listed the reasons as to why substitutions are generally made and the final one was Danny's which is, 'still to be published'.

Edited by Desperately Seeking Susans

I'm not Danny's biggest fan, but to be fair, taking Thommo and Gowser off with an eye to Tuesday is fair enough.

Look on the bright side, no-one in the bottom 6 pulled further away from us, and our goal difference and confidence didn't take a battering. After the collapse at Tannadice, the weekend there wasn't nearly as bad for us as I feared going into it. I definitely had visions of Aberdeen and ICT losing with cup final hangovers. Didn't happen.

Get out of jail card.... Played one there.

Seems I have got it right about the Celtic game being written off as a "free" weekend, particularly as we didnt lose any more ground to the other teams in the drop zone.Just a bit disappointed that defeat appears to be taken as read in the league (played 12, lost 11 drawn 1 and the only goal scored was a penalty which was wrongly awarded)although the stats confirm this. I think we escaped lightly at just 0-3 as well, it could have been MUCH worse.

Tuesdays match surely has to be taken seriously now, as having listened to Chick Youngs post match "banter" with Lennon, all appeared to be well and the manager seemed pleased with what he saw.People say that Ally McCoist gets an easy ride from the press as well !!

I freely admit to having a complete downer on Lennon, so expect to be criticised for this, but I have a bad feeling that tomorrows match will be lost. I dont know where this will leave us. Depends on other results maybe, but we are on such a bad run at present I doubt any points will be picked up before the split.thereafter its in the lap of the gods I`m afraid.

Edited by Froggie

I'm not Danny's biggest fan, but to be fair, taking Thommo and Gowser off with an eye to Tuesday is fair enough.

Look on the bright side, no-one in the bottom 6 pulled further away from us, and our goal difference and confidence didn't take a battering. After the collapse at Tannadice, the weekend there wasn't nearly as bad for us as I feared going into it. I definitely had visions of Aberdeen and ICT losing with cup final hangovers. Didn't happen.

Get out of jail card.... Played one there.

The other results went favourable for us but lets not rely on them. If we take our foot off the accelerator our psychology is f**ked.