Things That You Find Weird, In Paisley.

dave.j

No they're not.

The majority of lights in Town are on a fixed timer.It doesn't matter how much traffic is in the area,the lights will be at red or green for the same amount of time.

Not my understanding. The lights run a system called Scoot, all controlled by a central computer system. It adjusts timings ad hoc to best keep traffic moving in the area. It will also skip roads where there is no traffic, but mainly at night.

Fixed timings are very old school and won't be used much now- only time they'll be seen is if there is a fault.

HSS explained above, that he'd organised it to happen.

Well now you see , if HSS was anything like the thing , he'd organise the resurfacing of Auchenlodment Road as , I became exasperated phoning the cunts at the council , to be told that the inspector is going out/been out and they are waiting on a report. .

Edited by saintnextlifetime

Well now you see , if HSS was anything like the thing , he'd organise the resurfacing of Auchenlodment Road as , I became exasperated phoning the cunts at the council , to be told that the inspector is going out/been out and they are waiting on a report. .

I showed your post to my wee Cooncil pal.Due to her dislike of bad language your Auchenlodment has dropped to the bottom of the "jobs needing done" list. Edited by HSS

A couple of junctions I use frequently Mill Street/Glasgow Road and Incle Street/Weir Street do have slightly different time sequences in their change over from day and night.

But why cant they run on auto after a certain time like the ones at Renfrew Road/Netherhill Road Junction.

No traffic = Red Light, Traffic = Green Light

They could do that, but as they are linked with other sets, they'll run the best timings for the network rather than individual junctions.

They don't want to keep the Traffic moving.

They want too piss off all Car Drivers.

They want us all walking,cycling or using Public Transport.

They want to save the Polar Bears.

f**kEM!!!

Ah yes, the integrated transport system, the cure to all commuters needs.

If you aim to be productive, or aim to be respectful of time management in any way in carrying out your work.career, you need to have flexibility, that includes the ability to travel quickly and attend appointments fairly often and at short notice ( if you are required to be mobile in your career )

As yet , there is no better method than the car. Attempts to punish, penalise and basically f**k folk off enough to ditch their commuting by car is doomed to failure, until a seamless, efficient and reliable integrated transport alternative is available. There isn't and there won't be.....its a pipe dream.

So float off polar bear..............while we wrestle with the traffic management regime that simply adds to the air pollution that is so allegedly destructive to your ice soap box.

I thought the idea was to keep the traffic moving.

I'll give you a couple of examples. Travelling down the Renfrew Road and turning right onto Weir Street. Plenty of times I've been stopped at a red light at the merge with Incle Street. Nothing has came through for the green light whilst I've been stopped. Only for the lights to change for me and traffic to arrive for the previously green thats just changed to red.

The same applies at the Sneddon/St James St lights outside the church. You can sit for a minute and see there's nothing coming towards you along St James Street.

All I ask/want is with all the wire loop and movement sensors is to get the traffic moving.

Granted it will never get everything perfect, it runs a common base timing with all the lights (I'd guess a 90 seconds or 120 second cycle), so there are occasions where the system will be running to maximise capacity rather than delay and considering more important junctions. Therefore anomalies happen for a number of reasons and it can break the flow.

If you are around late at night, when there is less traffic and it is less worried about capacity you can see it is far more responsive at some junctions- for example coming in from the racecourse it won't call the racecourse road if there is no traffic there etc and it tries to move things quickly.

The idea that signals are set up deliberately to make traffic bad, is largely bollocks. Most of the problems stem from lack of funding to maintain infrastructure. To be honest there is evidence that roads should be more regionally based rather than council run, as smaller councils lack the expertise/staff.