Helicopters

pozbaird

One just crashed at the foot of the Space Needle in Seattle. Some rich Irish bloke died in one last week. The inquest into the sixteen North Sea deaths was reported again this week. The other North Sea crashes, the Clutha Bar (cause still unknown), Colin McRae the rally driver, plus a ton of others.

I know aeroplanes, cars and trains crash, but I've been in a helicopter once in my life - and survived to tell the tale. Buggered if I'm ever getting in another one.

Don't like them. Don't trust them.

Travelled them for years as do other posters working in the north sea. Going to work off shore in Brazil which will mean chopper crew changes which does not thrill me with confidence. Have a brother who is a British Gas medic offshore who had to do a course on chopper crashes. Jesus one chopper rotter blade came lose down south full of gas workers , the blade went into the chopper cutting the work force into shreds. A chopper carrying Nogies back to the beach all lost their life's when the rota blade came lose making the chopper drop like a stone into the water. The most common injury from crashes is a broken back which means the poor souls cant get out their seats. My brother has told me to sit in the back seat of choppers such as the Puma as the gear box has a habit of falling into the cabin on impact trapping those passengers sitting around the middle of the chopper. Would not fly in them if I had too I'm sure other posters are the same.

Edited by Lochwinnoch Saint

Im sure theres a few guys on here would say they wished i had gone down in one .I was in a Chinook when one of the engines stopped working there was smoke belching in the cabin it dropped out the sky like a stone very scarey but if you let it bother you you would never go back in one hence having to give up the job.

Statistically speaking you're far more likely to die in a car crash than in an helicopter crash of course. However, car crash deaths aren't national news, whereas helicopter crash deaths are, and there's certainly been a few recently so this issue has been raised quite a bit.

I've been up in them a few times for different and even had one 'flying lesson' bought for me as a present a couple years back, loved every minute of being in them. See far more in a chopper than you do in a plane.

On average , the helicopter is 6x more dangerous than fixed wing . However , as has been mentioned they will be safer than certain other modes of transport. Per recent issues that have been reported it looks like maintenance procedures have slipped a bit. .

I've been up in a few helicopters , including a time when a trip in one was purchased by another family member as a birthday gift .I probably wouldn't go up in one again , unless I had to . I'm wondering a bit about that gift now , right enough. .

Edited by saintnextlifetime

My cousin's husband flew Super Hercs and Globemasters for the RAF. At the end of his first day of training at Cranwell the instructor told them that flying was the best job in the world and his only piece of advice was "don't get in a helicopter if you can avoid it"!

Aye there is always a rivalry between fixed wing personnel and those that work on eggbeaters. .

The authorities have just informed Offshore that as of Ist June, there will be a reduction of passengers on all Offshore flights.

After the recent Enquiry it was put forward that everyone on the flight should be able to sit by an emergency exit, therefore the outside seat in the double row section of the

Helicopter will be unoccupied. I did not think it would happen due to the extra flights involved but there you go, they DO care about our safety.......

Our flight will drop reduce from 19 to 13 passengers. The measures about flying when certain sea state conditions exist will decimate flights and make for enormous

delays with our winters. I have made near 600 offshore flights, which is a lot in anybodys book and statistics say...Nope...not going there.

87 Trips left......

Latest....Super Pumas down to 11 seats, and also implementing a weight limit of 140kg from next April, which is VERY heavy.

IIRC that is also the weight that is the recommended limit for the type of Lifejacket we use.

To put a wee bit of perspective on that, I weighed myself last year and I was 12st 5lbs. At my age and height,5ft 11" I was right on the line between ok and

being Partially Obese.ohmy.png That was using the BMI formula. One pound more would have put me over...

There will be pressure on a lot of people to lose weight before next year,but it has been largely ignored for years because it was such an emotive subject to bring up.

I blame the companies for letting it get this far, it's going to bite them on the arse for sure. Some arses won't even feel the bite....

It has to be a health as well as a career benefit.

Sorry for going on but I feel strongly about this and have seen loads of guys I work with feed their faces with food and sweeties and now they are squealing that there

job might be on the line. No one else is to blame.

Aplologies for hijacking this thread Poz.

Edited by thomsons dropped it

Latest....Super Pumas down to 11 seats, and also implementing a weight limit of 140kg from next April, which is VERY heavy.

IIRC that is also the weight that is the recommended limit for the type of Lifejacket we use.

To put a wee bit of perspective on that, I weighed myself last year and I was 12st 5lbs. At my age and height,5ft 11" I was right on the line between ok and

being Partially Obese.ohmy.png That was using the BMI formula. One pound more would have put me over...

There will be pressure on a lot of people to lose weight before next year,but it has been largely ignored for years because it was such an emotive subject to bring up.

I blame the companies for letting it get this far, it's going to bite them on the arse for sure. Some arses won't even feel the bite....

It has to be a health as well as a career benefit.

Sorry for going on but I feel strongly about this and have seen loads of guys I work with feed their faces with food and sweeties and now they are squealing that there

job might be on the line. No one else is to blame.

Thanks for that fatty. tongue.png

First helicopter flight: from the slopes of Wireless Ridge on the Falklands long time ago. Two of us waited all day for promised lift, eventually a big feckin chinook hovers in, lands and we run up with message scrawled on hand "2 x pax 2 PSC" (two passengers to Port San Carlos) you see we were feckin years ahead and down with the old 'txt tlk'...

The loadmaster gets on his helmet headset (Matron) then laughs at us, and beckons us onboard (this all done with the rotors still turning and being blown away with the down draft)... inside the dark and very noisy interior lots of small off-white smiles greeted us... about 100 Ghurkas to be precise... probably more than double the recommended load.

the only space for us was sitting on the ramp when it was raised up, and the crew and all those little feckers thought it was a great laugh that they kept dropping the tail ramp every so often in flight just to see our panicked expressions.... happy days (unless you hailed from the south american peninsula of course)