New Buyers?

Edinbuddie

You do know what was written above the entrance to Hell, don't you?

Does it say:-

"Welcome to Hell.

Timetable of todays entertainments:-

0900-1030 Rangers Forever - A lusty rendition of all your favourite RFC classic songs from the 20th century

1030-1100 Refreshments

1100-1300 Scottish Independence - a detailed look featuring Johann Lamont and Nicola Sturgeon. Analysis by Stuart Dickson

1300-1400 Lunch - finger buffet. A buffet of fingers with a selection of dips

1400-1500 Spelling and Grammar. An apostrophe isn't just for Christmas. Let our expert bluto show you why.

1500-1530 Afternoon tea.

1530-2300 Get pissed on Becks Blue Lager evening. Prizes for the best attempt.

Season tickets welcome" ???

Edited by oaksoft

Does it say:-

"Welcome to Hell.

Timetable of todays entertainments:-

0900-1030 Rangers Forever - A lusty rendition of all your favourite RFC classic songs from the 20th century

1030-1100 Refreshments

1100-1300 Scottish Independence - a detailed look featuring Johann Lamont and Nicola Sturgeon. Analysis by Stuart Dickson

1300-1400 Lunch - finger buffet. A buffet of fingers with a selection of dips

1400-1500 Spelling and Grammar. An apostrophe isn't just for Christmas. Let our expert bluto show you why.

1500-1530 Afternoon tea.

1530-2300 Get pissed on Becks Blue Lager evening. Prizes for the best attempt.

Season tickets welcome" ???

You forgot 'enter through the exclusive Hell entrance and receive a glass of champagne on arrival'.

Posted by a Cowdenbeath supporter on P&B:"In 2007, Gordon McDougall sold Cowdenbeath FC (c87% shareholding) for a substantial seven figure sum to Innovate (Cowdenbeath) Ltd. The idea was that the ground would be utilized for commercial property development with Cowden being relocated to a new ground. The new owners were not interested in football and so Gordon McDougall was retained as chairman. Then in 2008, Gordon McDougall resigned as Chairman following the owners’ sacking of Gordon’s son in law Brian Welsh who was manager when the club was relegated to Division 3.The Club was left in turmoil with its whole infrastructure devastated. Many others involved in running the club left with Gordon. The Cowdenbeath Supporters Club and various Cowdenbeath fans then tried to assist CFC as well as they could after the departure of so many staff. This was a confused and fraught time. Innovate was owned 33% each by 3 individuals who were more or less unknown to the fans and supporters – David Brewster, Alex Brewster and Alex Benson. Jim Methven, who worked on many building projects as project manager on behalf of Alex Benson, had originally been brought in to handle the owners’ interests while Gordon ran the club. He then replaced Gordon as chairman for season 2008/09.Matters thus were exceedingly complex as ultimately things were fragmented with different and somewhat competing views being rife – in essence there was the Brewster faction and the Benson/Methven faction plus the legacy of the McDougall faction plus the supporters all with differing perspectives. With the property crash the Brewsters effectively ended up owning a football team they didn’t want as the profitability of a property development project fell away – they sought to tighten the finances at Central Park at a time when Cowden were going for promotion and it would be fair to say they did not see eye to eye then with Jim Methven. Jim Methven at one point raised the possibility of buying out the club via a consortium involving supporters.It would be right to say Jim Methven ended up as a hands on and enthusiastic chairman. Indeed, he started out with no interest in football and by the end was to be found in the dugout alongside the manager such was his passion for the team. He became very close with Danny Lennon. Alex Benson though sold his 33% stake to the Brewsters in early 2009 and at the end of the season Jim Methven resigned as chairman being reported as due to personal reasons. The Brewsters then ran CFC for one season but were unwilling to continue doing so and thus in 2010 it was agreed that in essence CFC supporters would run the club albeit it remained 87% owned by the Brewsters. The new Board was 100% made up of supporters who brought in Donald Findlay as chairman and that remains the case 4 years on – with the owners not being club directors. It is an unusual situation"

Have not read rest of thread yet so maybe been answered already, brewsters are not interested in the football, it's the land( or was as there was gonna be a supermarket built there), don't think that's happening with access, but the stock cars make them plenty money there that's why they have improved the place..

I do not think there will be much more discussion as I suggest it isn't happening. As I stated in a previous post I did not hear the full comments wee Chick made the other night due to plenty other noise going on, but it was something along the lines of an approach had been made but there was not much chance of it being considered/accepted. He reckoned that story would simply vanish.

Considering the little I know of the people involved I have confidence that ouir Board would not sell to anyone that did not have the Club at heart and there seems little substance to the Cowdenbeath people having any such leaning.

Conjecture here - so why publish the story? Maybe to generate interest and put some pressure on the Swiss deal?

Whether it's Methven or not, there has to be some truth in the story, particularly the fact that Gordon and Ken have both pitched their shares in to a 75% deal.

So, a buyer somewhere is looking to have 75% shareholding and the board must be seriously considering selling to said person(s) if they have gone to the bother of roping in other major shareholders to the deal.

If I was a betting man, which I am, and a very bad one at that, I'd wager that the sale of the club is very close.

A group of new investors coming in might not necessarily be a bad thing , but much depends on the make up of the group . I don't,t think St Mirren are vulnerable in so much as there's not a huge profit to be made selling off the ground . I also feel a fresh enthusiastic group of directors could take the club forward.

With regards to having %75 ownership , of a company , I thought that allowed the companies losses to be set off against profits from another company owned by the same owner ( 120000) shares were created a few years back to allow Reg Brrearley to do this.

Will be interesting to see who is putting their money up to invest in the Saints.

Wondering if the Dollar branch of the Saints supporters club know anything about Mr Methven

We must be very suspicious of someone wanting 75 percent when they only need 52 percent to run the club anyway they want.

The only reason they need this percentage is to be able to pass a special resolution to chage the company articles, to absorb debts from their other companies, to put forward a buy and lease back scheme etc

We canot allow this to happen , its the end of the road for us, ask any business man ,we may have football, but we will be renting our ground , or we we will be in debt.

Aye, I don't see what was wrong in reading this story with specific individuals named, particular directors shares being bought, and then as supporters on a forum discussing this new development - mostly, it should be said, in a manner along the lines of 'if this is true....', 'if these guys DO come in...' etc.

Surely it would have been far stranger had there been no discussion on here following such a news story?

George Campbell, in the dressing room, with the candlestick? I'm going to guess this 'club for sale' mystery, I tell ye'.

There's only so many times you can hear the 'club is just about to be sold to.....' story and can still take it seriously surely.

And even more so when it's some dodgy geezer we've never heard of. Apologies to Graeme but the story is hardly credible, even though he is a Saints fan.

Hopefully any new owner will be happy enough to make sure their plans for the club are out in the open for everyone to see and we will know about any credible bids right from the off.

Either way I won't be taking any of these stories seriously until a deal actually goes through.

But at least I know who to ask to help me with these bloody wolves....:)

A group of new investors coming in might not necessarily be a bad thing , but much depends on the make up of the group . I don't,t think St Mirren are vulnerable in so much as there's not a huge profit to be made selling off the ground . I also feel a fresh enthusiastic group of directors could take the club forward.

With regards to having %75 ownership , of a company , I thought that allowed the companies losses to be set off against profits from another company owned by the same owner ( 120000) shares were created a few years back to allow Reg Brrearley to do this.

Will be interesting to see who is putting their money up to invest in the Saints.

Wondering if the Dollar branch of the Saints supporters club know anything about Mr Methven

HMRC have got wise (in theory) to this old trick and reason why many folk of means bought Football Clubs, you now have to show that that loss you are using from the loss making business to save you paying corporation tax on a profit making business is essentially trading in the same thing.

This means that the days of a Car Dealer who made profits in his Car Sales business but losses in his football Club cannot now net them off to reduce his tax liability as they are two different types of trade....at least that is the theory, however there are ways around this, which is about diluting how a club makes its income, for example i suspect that at Clubs like Killie and Hamilton where significant income is derived from non football sources.

If say SMFC was to start trading in other ways, using its property assets, including the vacant site it owns on the other side of the road from the away stand, then perhaps over a period of years you could do some interesting things with consolidated accounts etc.

This is certainly my understanding now....but someone else may have more recent info

Edited by rea

According my sources the Metheven bid is one of 3 the board are considering, the 2 others consist of a French consortium led by Nicolas Godet and Philippe Dupire who are directors of successful French plastics manufacturer called PUM Plastiques from the other information I gather that 2 local businessmen Scott Wilson and Will McDaid who run a business called MWBC (UK) LTD have placed a bid in the last 48 hours, however my sources cannot confirm the latter 100% at this moment in time.

Edited by Flareybob

According my sources the Metheven bid is one of 3 the board are considering, the 2 others consist of a French consortium led by Nicolas Godet and Philippe Dupire who are directors of successful French plastics manufacturer called PUM Plastiques from the other information I gather that 2 local businessmen Scott Wilson and Will McDaid who run a business called MWBC (UK) LTD have placed a bid in the last 48 hours, however my sources cannot confirm the latter 100% at this moment in time.

MWBC(UK) disolved

Hmmm, interesting.

Aherm, could certainly see 'PLUM PLASTIQUES' on a sponsor ad board on the stand...............a certain poetic symmetry about that

Hmmm, interesting.

Aherm, could certainly see 'PLUM PLASTIQUES' on a sponsor ad board on the stand...............a certain poetic symmetry about that

Is it Pum or Plum? Plum would make sense for a fair few of our fans talk a load of plums. And St.Mirren players hit too many plums over the bar or past the post. And we let too many plums into our own net. But it's a bloody stupid name anyway. Maybe get a nice plum logo on our strips?

Is it Pum or Plum? Plum would make sense for a fair few of our fans talk a load of plums. And St.Mirren players hit too many plums over the bar or past the post. And we let too many plums into our own net. But it's a bloody stupid name anyway. Maybe get a nice plum logo on our strips?

Good morning ye plum !! bye1.gif

ha ha, the way the teams been playing lately somebody should get a kick in the plums

Any updates?

Or have the senior players taken over the whole club and not just the dressing room?

Reckon you need to be mad to want to take over a football club...I'd imagine the purchase price will be significantly lower if we were to be relegated.

Unlikely to happen if we're relegated !