Vs The Fakes - 25/3/14

I felt Darren had a man with Cheesy deciding the guy needed marked twice instead of picking up the spare man. For all we know they play zonal, certainly didn't look man for man. Either way, awful awareness that Potter would have been proud of.

I really we hope we don't go knee jerk and bring Jim back in. He opened up the midfield for Celtic at Parkhead, anyone with pace will do him...especially if he "fills gaps" or as I call it finds himself well out of position.

They don't play zonal.

Darrens man spins off to the back post but like you say, Cheese should have then dealt with it.

Edited by davidg

OK, apart from Newton, who else has regularly been played out of position this year?

Kello - No

Dillo - No

Naismith - best position could be centre back but has done fine at right back

Kelly - No

DVZ - a few games as a holding midfielder when Goodwin was suspended

Grainger - had a few games as midfielder after losing his favoured LB spot

McGregor- No

McAusland -No

Mair - No

McGowan - No - unless people want to go back to using him as a winger?

McLean - No

McGinn - No

Goodwin - has played holding midfield and centre half

Teale - No

Magennis - No

Wylde - No

Campbell - No

Harkins - No

Thompson - No

Bahoken - No

Caprice - your guess is as good as mine!

Djembe Djembe - No

Unless we are going to start saying professional midfielders can only play in 1 favoured role and are useless elsewhere in midfield I think it is a stretch to say we see lots of players getting played out of position under DL.

McGowan was playing holding midfield at one point, McGinn is consistently out wide, McLean spent weeks out left, Grainger was used at centre back, Harkins was all over the place...3 positions in one game at times...Campbell isn't a winger and Bahoken was on the park.

To me, not using a player in their preferred position is playing them out of position. Even worse to move to accomodate or continue over and over in the hope you jam the player in to the slot. Why work on a player in training if he's actually gifted elsewhere?

OK, apart from Newton, who else has regularly been played out of position this year?

Kello - No

Dillo - No

Naismith - best position could be centre back but has done fine at right back

Kelly - No

DVZ - a few games as a holding midfielder when Goodwin was suspended

Grainger - had a few games as midfielder after losing his favoured LB spot

McGregor- No

McAusland -No

Mair - No

McGowan - No - unless people want to go back to using him as a winger?

McLean - No

McGinn - No

Goodwin - has played holding midfield and centre half

Teale - No

Magennis - No

Wylde - No

Campbell - No

Harkins - No

Thompson - No

Bahoken - No

Caprice - your guess is as good as mine!

Djembe Djembe - No

Unless we are going to start saying professional midfielders can only play in 1 favoured role and are useless elsewhere in midfield I think it is a stretch to say we see lots of players getting played out of position under DL.

Nonsense. Bahoken and Magennis have been played out of position. Their best position should be in French Ligue 2 and Aberdeen's reserves.

You forgot the quick free kick McGinn played to McLean who looked to be in a decent position to have a shot from the edge of the box, Instead he done his usual, turned back and played a sideways pass.

I do not want to be overly critical just pointing out he was at least as bad as the others in my opinion.

Possibly one of the worst team performances I have seen in a long time considering what is at stake here. No confidence, constantly giving the ball away, passing it out the park, refusing to shoot from anywhere outside the 2 yard box - one shot on target in 90mins!!! The thing is, I reckon we have some decent players out there. How come we were a total shadow of the team that played pretty well (up to a point anyway) in the previous 3 games?

Kello is a shadow of the Keeper he was a few months ago. 3 games in a row he has made mistakes.

McAusland was the very definition of a bombscare last night.

Kelly was caught in a perfect storm. With McAusland feeding him suicide passes. Croft having a good game on the wing, and McGinn failing to provide any sort of support for him.

McGinn was sloppy, and in trying to make up for his mistakes he tried to do too much elsewhere instead of focussing on his own job. I thought he also looked knackered as each time he was caught in possession he just let the guys run away from him.

Newton...did nothing. At all.

Magennis and Thompson were anonymous. Disappointing considering the amount of balls aimed at them.

The only positive perfomances were Naismith, McGregor and the substitutes.

When was the last time we were able to pass the ball through the opposition. Sure we swing in crosses from out wide and deep time after time, but I mean slide a pass through a defence for someone to run onto. I can only think of Newton in the final, Mair doing it from our half for McGowan against St Johnstone in the Autumn...and before that I can only remember it happening with Hasselbaink against Aberdeen.

Considering we play every with McGinn, McGowan, McLean and Newton that's just not good enough. Creative midfielders apparently.

Get Goodwin back in the middle, stop teams running through us, Wylde and Teale on each touchline to counter quickly.

Seriously ? I take it your letting him away with losing his man at the goal & staring at who the f**k knows what when the ball came over.

McAusland was awful last night, as has been said previously he constantly put young kelly in trouble with suicide passes but imo Darren was not much better.

The backbone of most succesful teams is usually a solid centre defensive pairing, i`m afraid our two look as if they`ve only just met !

McGowan was playing holding midfield at one point, McGinn is consistently out wide, McLean spent weeks out left, Grainger was used at centre back, Harkins was all over the place...3 positions in one game at times...Campbell isn't a winger and Bahoken was on the park.

To me, not using a player in their preferred position is playing them out of position. Even worse to move to accomodate or continue over and over in the hope you jam the player in to the slot. Why work on a player in training if he's actually gifted elsewhere?

OK so how many games did Grainger play at centre back, how many games did Campbell play as a winger, and was one of his games there his best game for us? Did McGinn not play out wide for most of last season?

I do not want to be overly critical just pointing out he was at least as bad as the others in my opinion.

Possibly one of the worst team performances I have seen in a long time considering what is at stake here. No confidence, constantly giving the ball away, passing it out the park, refusing to shoot from anywhere outside the 2 yard box - one shot on target in 90mins!!! The thing is, I reckon we have some decent players out there. How come we were a total shadow of the team that played pretty well (up to a point anyway) in the previous 3 games?

Things are bad enough without exaggerating. Watch the highlights, we had at least 4 shots on target, two of which were from distance.

I have no intention of splitting hairs with you and I look at games with St Mirren biased eyes.

Their keeper only made one save the other night from McGinn. A defender also cleared a header from McGinn. Mclean hammered a cross across goal which was not on target. Newton tried a cross which hit a defender and went over the bar. Besides that we had a couple of headers off target. As I said previously - one shot on target in 90 mins.

I have no intention of splitting hairs with you and I look at games with St Mirren biased eyes.

Their keeper only made one save the other night from McGinn. A defender also cleared a header from McGinn. Mclean hammered a cross across goal which was not on target. Newton tried a cross which hit a defender and went over the bar. Besides that we had a couple of headers off target. As I said previously - one shot on target in 90 mins.

We were bad but their keeper made 2 saves.

McGinn in the first half and McGowan in the second.

Those highlights for once make out we were better than we were.

Missed out a few fakes chances

Again, I would suggest you look at the highlights. Strangely, they make us look not too bad going forward. In addition to their keepers two saves, there were two cleared by defenders inside the six yard box. Two other attempts were diverted wide/over by defenders, while heading for goal. Don't they count? As I said, we're bad enough without people making it seem even worse.

Again, I would suggest you look at the highlights. Strangely, they make us look not too bad going forward.

Aye, I thought that, too. :unsure:

It also looked as though they COULD cut through the Buddies defence at will, though.

I felt a bit better about the team after seeing that, than I was after reading all the comments on here from folk who'd been at the game.

Deceptive...

The point I am making is we did not trouble their keeper very much. If we do not get shots on target we don't score. Constantly players in decent shooting positions kept trying to cross it to Thommo even when they were in the 18 yard box or they pass sideways to avoid responsibility. Our Goals Scored record proves we do not shoot enough. Sclaffs are all very well when they come off and I am happy to accept however the ball ends up in the net but for goodness sake start shooting - preferably on target!

Edit to add: the highlights are very deceptive for once because they do look as if we made a game of it which was the opposite of the reality.

Edited by Sonny

The point I am making is we did not trouble their keeper very much. If we do not get shots on target we don't score. Constantly players in decent shooting positions kept trying to cross it to Thommo even when they were in the 18 yard box or they pass sideways to avoid responsibility. Our Goals Scored record proves we do not shoot enough. Sclaffs are all very well when they come off and I am happy to accept however the ball ends up in the net but for goodness sake start shooting - preferably on target!

Edit to add: the highlights are very deceptive for once because they do look as if we made a game of it which was the opposite of the reality.

We can certainly agree that we don't score enough, and we could do much better on the chances created front. I think it's a joke to depend so heavily on a guy coming towards the end of his career to be our main source of goals.

Aye, I thought that, too. unsure.png

It also looked as though they COULD cut through the Buddies defence at will, though.

I felt a bit better about the team after seeing that, than I was after reading all the comments on here from folk who'd been at the game.

Deceptive...

I generally do';t watch highlights, I've been to enough games in the (distant) past where I've thought we've dominated and the highlights have shown what appeared to be a much closer game. It sounds like this time, they've decided to show all our chances.

For the first ten minutes or so I thought we were well up for the game and were taking it to the fakes, then, Christ knows what happened,we started passing the ball to them, we stopped closing them down and players were getting drawn about all over the park. For the first 5 minutes of the second half we looked up for it again and again we started passing to them, stopped closing them down and got drawn about all over the park.

We weren't bad, we were absolutely abysmal. Someone said earlier the fakes won without breaking sweat, well the buds didn't break sweat either. Not one of the players on the park could honestly say they gave that even 50% effort.The work rate has to improve drastically, the players need to set aside whatever personal agenda's they have, give full concentration to the game and show a determination to win,