Bad Defending

havin watched game on tues have come to conclusion the school boys could defend better than mcausland and Kelly for they don't know have to defend point one mcausland takes free kick an kicks it back to kello thus kello is under pressure to clear ball mcausland passes to Kelly when foreward is on top of him thus losing ball Kelly caught up field let me think know everytime we lost ball to st johnstonesl thus leavin gaping hole at left side 4 most of the game /midfield none existant for most of game forewards like havin a siesta for most of game so where does he think the points ar gona come from to keep us up /suggestion is drop the so called stars an give the players who will give u 200 percent all through the game and who know how to defend and make tackles that that ensure the other players round about them can pick up the ball to move foreward would like to know what the feeling of other supporters think

We've conceded the least amount of goals out of the bottom 5 clubs, why would the defence be the managers priority?

We're scoring fewer goals than the teams around us though.

You build your team from the back, if you don't lose goals you don't lose games.

You can be sure all other teams in the bottom 6 will pinpoint our poor defence as how they will beat us, and the thing that will worry them is our midfield and Thommo up front.

You build your team from the back, if you don't lose goals you don't lose games.

You can be sure all other teams in the bottom 6 will pinpoint our poor defence as how they will beat us, and the thing that will worry them is our midfield and Thommo up front.

Sorry, you aren't hearing me.

We have the best defensive record in the bottom 5 and we are still second bottom of the table.

Why can't we pinpoint the other teams defensive weaknesses to beat them? Because we don't have enough quality gong forward.

The lack of quality going forward is the bigger picture.

Is this a lack of quality in our play (team selection & tactics) or a lack of quality in our playing staff?

Edited by davidg

But that's the thing, we have Thompson who is the top scorer in the bottom 6, we have Campbell who is highly thought of at EPL Newcastle, in midfield we have McGinn, McLean, Newton and McGowan all of whom most teams in the SPL would love to have in their side, but I doubt any other side would take any of our defenders. The reason we are the lowest scorers in the SPL is down to our managers baffling tactics. So I still think the defence is the priority for a new manager.

Sorry, you aren't hearing me.

We have the best defensive record in the bottom 5 and we are still second bottom of the table.

Why can't we pinpoint the other teams defensive weaknesses to beat them? Because we don't have enough quality gong forward.

The lack of quality going forward is the bigger picture.

Is this a lack of quality in our play (team selection & tactics) or a lack of quality in our playing staff?

Both are an issue though, We have only scored 6 goals less than Inverness but they are 6 places and 21 points better off than us. showing us what can be achieved with a strong defensive unit (Before Yogi f*cked it up!!)

conceding 51 goals in 31 games clearly needs to be addressed.

But that's the thing, we have Thompson who is the top scorer in the bottom 6, we have Campbell who is highly thought of at EPL Newcastle, in midfield we have McGinn, McLean, Newton and McGowan all of whom most teams in the SPL would love to have in their side, but I doubt any other side would take any of our defenders. The reason we are the lowest scorers in the SPL is down to our managers baffling tactics. So I still think the defence is the priority for a new manager.

Really?

Why don't we start a couple of new threads called bad finishing and bad build up play.

I agree with Davidg. The thing we need to thank our lucky stars for is Thommo staying fit and not suspended. Can you just imagine the mess we would be in if had the same problems as Teale had.

I agree with much of what you're saying bud. Bottom line is we have a manager who can't strike that balance.

Both are an issue though, We have only scored 6 goals less than Inverness but they are 6 places and 21 points better off than us. showing us what can be achieved with a strong defensive unit (Before Yogi f*cked it up!!)

conceding 51 goals in 31 games clearly needs to be addressed.

And Motherwell have conceded 14 goals more than ICT and sit in 3rd place. It's all about the balance and we don't have it.

Sometimes we defend really badly, other times I think we defend rather well. We're just a very inconsistent team all over the park. That's why we're second bottom.

I do agree that we will need defensive reinforcements in the summer. The fact that we only have one left back in the first team squad is mental.

Edited by ulysses

I agree with much of what you're saying bud. Bottom line is we have a manager who can't strike that balance.

Creativity is our problem, and our much heralded midfield quartet of Newton, McGinn, McLean and McGowan have contributed virtually nothing all year.

Just shows how important Gary Teale was/is to our team. As he is our main outlet for creating chances and he does in consistently.

With the mass exodus last summer it was clear to see we were in desperate need of striking options. we failed to identify/loss out on targets and instead went down the route of panic signing the boy bahoken. for me that was a big big factor on not having the right preparation leading in to the start of the season.

Edited by kevo_smfc

Creativity is our problem, and our much heralded midfield quartet of Newton, McGinn, McLean and McGowan have contributed virtually nothing all year.

Just shows how important Gary Teale was/is to our team. As he is our main outlet for creating chances and he does in consistently.

I think that's incredibly harsh on McLean who has been our only real creative spark and source of goals from midfielder. It's beginning to look more and more that Harkins would have offered far more going forward than what McGowan has.

The overloading the midfield with central players and utter lack of punch up front exposes our defence. Kelly & Naismith are told to get forward, whilst you usually see all the midfield forward too. So we end up with either 60 yards between midfield and defence or, if Danny sits back, 60 yards between attack and midfield with the whole defence backing further as Goodwin sets the midfield on the defenders toes. We've had two perfect examples against Utd, the early season mauling where Thompson needed a flare gun to indicate his position and the Cup game where Kelly and Naismith were hung out to dry.

Kelly was exposed on Tuesday because McGinn was off form and Cheesy had his worst game ever for us. McGregor was actually okay, but can't be two places at once and can hardly not pass to Cheesy.

Cheesy had a terrible game , his decision making was terrible , I wish the central defenders would play the long ball , rather than risk dodgy passing in defensive areas , we continuously gave them the ball in dangerous area . Against us teams don't,t need a creative midfield , they will get enough decent passes from our back four