Classical Music

pozbaird

OK, a bit of a different one here. It's not normally my cup of Darjeeling, but I recently heard the Firebird Suite by Stravinsky, and it was superb. My normal bag is Led Zeppelin and associated hard rock, or Sugarland and associated country music, or a varied lot including Elvis Costello, Crowded House, Sheryl Crow... could go on all day.

Anyone got any recommendations about classical music?

This will surely test the mettle of the B&W Army clientele - a trusty group of fine men and women!

Whenever I need to calm doon, chill oot... say I've been on the Referendum Thread.... :rolleyes:

...I turn to Schubert - his Adagio in E Flat.

A wee trio called the Beaux Arts Trio is the best band, but this is the only video I could quickly find for you. 10 minutes or so... but worth the investment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmAFBU47tP4

You may well be asleep after it. :)

Whenever I need to calm doon, chill oot... say I've been on the Referendum Thread.... rolleyes.gif

...I turn to Schubert - his Adagio in E Flat.

A wee trio called the Beaux Arts Trio is the best band, but this is the only video I could quickly find for you. 10 minutes or so... but worth the investment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmAFBU47tP4

You may well be asleep after it. smile.png

If that doesn't work he can just read some of his Magennis posts? rolleyes.gif

Elgar's Cello Concerto in E minor (preferably beautifully performed by Jaqueline du Pre - has reduced me to tears on occasion).

A stunning piece of music.

Just found a youtube link (conducted by her husband, if I'm not mistaken):

Edited by Drew

Listen to this Poz after a game - great way to chill out ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLFVGwGQcB0

or my favourite ....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyUNbrgLezI

Same Composer ... Erik Satie smile.png

I was once read that there was no translation for Gymnopedies , which I thought was strange but indeed a great piece , which I used to be able to play on the recorder. .

As for Poz , you should listen to Stravinsky's The Right of Spring. Rimsky-Korsakov's Sheherizad is also good as is Borodins Prince Igor (well the Overture is good anyway). .

Elgar's Cello Concerto in E minor (preferably beautifully performed by Jaqueline du Pre - has reduced me to tears on occasion).

Not sure I want music that reduces me to tears when there's a fitba' team already performing that role.

Can't actually think of any music that reduces me to tears, unless you count X Factor dweebs murdering songs I love by the original artists.

Seriously though, thanks to all who have suggested stuff - will check them out.

All of the above are good, very good indeed. But if you want greatness please listen to this as it is a work of true and inspired genius. It is Ralph Vaughn Williams "Fantasia on a Theme by Thomas Tallis". (Read the notes on it on Wikipedia to understand what RVW was setting out to achieve - he just hit it in spades)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAtx578yaZ8&noredirect=1

It's only just over 16mins (he also wrote two revisions which were slightly shorter but the above is the real deal) so I try and listen to it every day.

Really depends on what mood you're in.

I've always liked "Rhapsody in Blue" by Gershwin, it's a fun listen. As is "An American in Paris."

Another personal recommendation would be the Planets Suite by Holst. I've been listening to that since I was like 9...

If you're thinking of the choral route, I'd say anything by Eric Whitacre. Especially "Sleep", "When David Heard" and "The Seal Lullaby."

As for Poz , you should listen to Stravinsky's The Right of Spring. Rimsky-Korsakov's Sheherizad is also good as is Borodins Prince Igor (well the Overture is good anyway). .

The Rite of Spring is good, but is a bit of an acquired taste imo. If you've seen Disney's Fantasia, you may be familiar with some of it.

Prince Igor's an opera, and a fairly long one at that but if you can get a recording of the Polovtsian Dances, you'll get some of the highlights (along with the overture, I think)

I was once read that there was no translation for Gymnopedies , which I thought was strange but indeed a great piece , which I used to be able to play on the recorder. .

Apparently Erik just made up words for titles for his music smile.png

Must say this has literally moved me to tears ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miLV0o4AhE4&feature=kp

Gorecki's Symphony No 3

Edited by Sonny

Lochwinnoch Arts Festival is closing with the village choir joining the Glasgow Titan choir to sing Carl Orff`s ` Carmina Burana` in the McKillop Hall this Sunday March 30th at 7.30 pm. It is a most unusual and stunning work which I am sure you would enjoy (the audience in the city hall three weeks ago gave it rapturous applause ! ).

Film buffs should recognise the music.

Or flash mob version

Edited by E=Mc2

Not sure I want music that reduces me to tears when there's a fitba' team already performing that role.

Can't actually think of any music that reduces me to tears, unless you count X Factor dweebs murdering songs I love by the original artists.

I think the fact that du Pre died very young from MS has much to do with it, as I always associate this piece of music with her performance (not helped by the fact that, if I recall correctly, her husband was a bastard).

Really depends on what mood you're in.

The Rite of Spring is good, but is a bit of an acquired taste imo. If you've seen Disney's Fantasia, you may be familiar with some of it.

Prince Igor's an opera, and a fairly long one at that but if you can get a recording of the Polovtsian Dances, you'll get some of the highlights (along with the overture, I think)

Indeed , The Rite of Spring is an acquired taste in that , it gets to be almost as aggressive as heavy rock !

For me Prince Igor is the Overture and the Dance of the Polovtsian Maidens as the opera section I can leave alone. .

Elgar's Nimrod is also worth a listen , again if you are in the mood along with other British stuff like the Planets Suite by Holst. .

Those of us of a certain vintage had our first touch of classical music with 'Esso Sign Means Happy Motoring'. only we didn't know it was classical then. For those that don't remember, it is the music to the Toreador Song from Carmen by Bizet. I still like it all these years later. At school, the only classical piece that stuck with me was another Bizet work. L'Arlesienne Suite. Once a week at Camphill we were marched over to the new huts at the back of the school and our music teacher Fanny Leishman tried to convert us to classical music. It didn't work. Incidentally, Fanny was provost of Paisley at that time.

I've mentioned my favourite piece of music on here before, Va,Pensiero from Nabucco by Verdi. Also known as the Chorus of the Hebrew Slaves. That can and does move me to tears no matter how often I hear it.

A wee plug for the 20th.century too. Leonard Bernstein was a genius and arguably the greatest composer of the century. Did you ever see the documentary with him and Kiri Te Kanawa, Jose Carreras and Tatiana Troyanos singing some of the songs from West Side Story? It was one of the best pieces of television I've ever seen. Three world famous classical singers absolutely shitting themselves in the face of genius. Poor Jose. A Spanish or Italian accent is great for grand opera but not nearly so good for songs in English. Bernstein was losing the rag at some of Jose's pronunciations but they just about managed to edit out most of Bernstein's 'Oh, for f**k's sake!' remarks when Jose slipped up. And there was none of the Lenny when the singers addressed Bernstein, only Maestro. And he was. Some would argue West Side Story doesn't merit being regarded as classical. Utter tosh. Listen to the music to Something's Coming. It's simply fabulous.

Edited by RickMcD

Not being religious in any way but I do like requiems.

Must be listened to in total darkness and loud enough to drown out all else.

Check out Durufle's requiem...

Makes me want to convert...shock1.gif

Good call on the Durufle!! Got to sing that a few years back in the Usher Hall - absolutely amazing piece!!

On the theme of Requiems - try any of Faure, Verdi and/or Mozart's variations.

I quite like Wagner, one of my favourites is Ride of the Valkyries and when I first saw the helicopter scene from Apocylapse Now the music just made it one of my all time favourite movie scenes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPf_PJlJsJQ

Another of my favourites is Tchaivosky and the 1812 Overture, this is Cozy Powell's take on it but not quite as good as hearing it from a full orchestra with the cannons going off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKRGjKOj46M

Or how about Mendelssohn's Hebriddean Overture

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3MiETaBSnc&feature=kp

Her husband is Israeli/Argentinian Daniel Barenboim who, along with Edward Said established the Western-Eastern Divan orchestra which comprises of young Israeli and Palestinian musicians. Recently he took out Palestinian citizenship to show solidarity.