St Mirren V Motherwell.. 5/4/14

Lex

Since when was it the wingers job to score goals? He done his job, Mclean never.

I don't expect him to score 10 a season but for an attacking player 0 in 3 years is dire.

I just watched the highlights for the first time OK so it was a good run & cross from Teale but from the games I've seen it not the norm from his time with the club. As for McLean, he took the ball first time got in on target and was a bit unlucky the keeper made a good save, there were plenty of ICT players so I reckon he had to do this, hardly Van Vossen material.

PS I love how couldn't praise Teale without having a dig at McLean - LOL material! thumbup2.gif

I don't expect him to score 10 a season but for an attacking player 0 in 3 years is dire.

I just watched the highlights for the first time OK so it was a good run & cross from Teale but from the games I've seen it not the norm from his time with the club. As for McLean, he took the ball first time got in on target and was a bit unlucky the keeper made a good save, there were plenty of ICT players so I reckon he had to do this, hardly Van Vossen material.

PS I love how couldn't praise Teale without having a dig at McLean - LOL material! thumbup2.gif

I think Mclean is a good player and I wasn't having a go at him but it was a great chance and he should have scored.. Im sure he'd admit that himself.

I was merely pointing out that it is Teales job to create chances and he does that.

I never suggested he was a superstar, but highlighting what I believe to be his main failing doesn't mean that I don't think he offers something to the team when he plays. Even the best players have failings, after all. Teale's final ball is often not the best, but this also applies to many players (McGowan being an obvious example) who offer other attributes nonetheless.

I'm not sure where the 'flatters to deceive" argument comes from. As I've already posted, even the very fact that he creates space for other players to exploit should be ticked off as a positive. Their failure to capitalise isn't Teale's responsibility.

It may be a hackneyed phrase, but it applies for all that - if he didn't have a few deficiencies in his game, he wouldn't be playing for St Mirren. Let's put it this way, on their respective showings, I'd have Teale ahead of Magennis, Campbell, or Newton on the right side of midfield. What other options do we have?

Flatters to deceive comes from me watching him play for St. Mirren over the last three seasons.

As for your bet, no thanks. Just cause I think something's going to happen doesn't mean I'm willing to bet my forum membership on it, jeez.

A good bet to duck we'd need a 6 goal swing to overtake County and at least a 3 goal win if Thistle draw at the weekend, more likely a Thistle defeat against Hearts who may be even more tired than Motherwell combined with a victory for us. Look forward to your next bout of soothsaying.

Edited by Bud the Baker

A good bet to duck we'd need a 6 goal swing to overtake County and at least a 3 goal win if Thistle draw at the weekend, more likely a Thistle defeat against Hearts who may be even more tired than Motherwell combined with a victory for us. Look forward to your next bout of soothsaying.

I think Thistle will lose and we will win this weekend. Would I bet money on it? Nope, it's just a prediction, and as you'll see by looking at the prediction league, people get them wrong a lot.

As for Teale's goal scoring record, I agree it's certainly been poor, he's never scored in the league for us. I think it can be explained by a clichee. Teale plays as an 'old fashioned winger'. By that I mean he will end every game with chalk on his studs as he spends the entire game hogging the touch line.

Guys like Campbell and Wylde play the same position differently, they come inside constantly, and therefore get far more opportunities. Teales m/o, is beat a man, hit the line and cross the ball, he doesn't shoot often compared to most wide players we've had in the past and the others we have just now. His lack of goals is offset by his huge amount of assists in my opinion.

I think Mclean is a good player and I wasn't having a go at him but it was a great chance and he should have scored.. Im sure he'd admit that himself.

I was merely pointing out that it is Teales job to create chances and he does that.

I don't see how else you can describe saying "He (Teale) done his job, Mclean never."

I never expected Teale to be prolific but I'd say his job includes chipping in with a few goals a season.

As for Teale's goal scoring record, I agree it's certainly been poor, he's never scored in the league for us. I think it can be explained by a clichee. Teale plays as an 'old fashioned winger'. By that I mean he will end every game with chalk on his studs as he spends the entire game hogging the touch line.

Guys like Campbell and Wylde play the same position differently, they come inside constantly, and therefore get far more opportunities. Teales m/o, is beat a man, hit the line and cross the ball, he doesn't shoot often compared to most wide players we've had in the past and the others we have just now. His lack of goals is offset by his huge amount of assists in my opinion.

He didn't play this way in his first season with us and said so himself, there was a brief spell when he did so last season mainly coinciding between Isma's arrival and his (Isma's) suspension after the Celtic game. I struggle to remember creating much at the start of this season either although perhaps he can be excused this on the grounds of Lennon's bewildering tactics at that time.

I hope he can reproduce moments like the one on Saturday that created the chance for McLean but at 35-y-o and given his injury record this season I'd be surprised if we get 90 minutes from him. Given that he can be a game changer I think Lennon has to consider how to get the best out of him in the remaining games this season - I'd say this would be coming on after 60 minutes or so. This doesn't change my opinion of his time with the club nor my feeling that he doesn't deserve another contract next season.

I don't see how else you can describe saying "He (Teale) done his job, Mclean never."

I never expected Teale to be prolific but I'd say his job includes chipping in with a few goals a season.

So we're no longer allowed to point out when a player misses a good opportunity to score an important goal? The guy is on a lot of money and I pay alot of money to watch him play so I think I have every right to point out if he's missed a good chance.

Even so, that wasn't the point of my post it was just a flippant comment which you seem to have taken to heart.. are you Mclean in disguise? bye1.gif

Edited by irvine_buddie

So we're no longer allowed to point out when a player misses a good opportunity to score an important goal? The guy is on a lot of money and I pay alot of money to watch him play so I think I have every right to point out if he's missed a good chance.

Even so, that wasn't the point of my post it was just a flippant comment which you have you seem to have taken to heart.. are you Mclean in disguise? bye1.gif

He didn't miss, the keeper made a good save - I wasn't the only one to point this out.

Got money problems, you obviously don't get paid as much as I do erm I mean Kenny does. bye1.gif

Motherwell seem to have a few players out including McFadden so it's a good chance to get something here which means we will probably blow it, it really is a must win game as we could be going into the split 5 behind Partick and 6 behind County which would make it game over for us I'm afraid, I'm that confident Partick and County will win that I'm going to stick money on it, we MUST take something from this game.

There's a complete lack of goals from midfield in our team.

I agree with this. I was just on the BBC St Mirren site. Thommo got 11 goals, next best is Gowser and McLean and a few others with 3. If the big man wasn't here we'd be proper fooked.

Can't do it on his own, the rest of the troops need to start standing up and being counted.

McAusland and McGregor should be scoring a few more from set pieces. Has Goodwin scored his wonder goal for the season yet? Don't think he has.

Getting Teale back will be a huge bonus for us. We have really missed him this season. I wonder how many assists he contributed last season? My guess is quite a few, must be near double figures?

Motherwell seem to have a few players out including McFadden so it's a good chance to get something here which means we will probably blow it, it really is a must win game as we could be going into the split 5 behind Partick and 6 behind County which would make it game over for us I'm afraid, I'm that confident Partick and County will win that I'm going to stick money on it, we MUST take something from this game.

Our recent home match against St Johnstone featured a below full strength fakes team, by all accounts. There will always be other players looking forward to an opportunity to impress, so I never tend to subscribe to the idea that we will necessarily benefit in these circumstances, and you seem equally dubious.

The teams aren't in their respective league positions for no reason, and I think we will toil on Saturday. I've predicted a 1-3 defeat elsewhere, and I am sticking with this, sadly. There simply aren't enough goals in this team, and allied with our defensive frailties, and the fact that this is a home match, means that I'm struggling to find any real confidence just now.

I assume from the continued silence emanating from the boardroom, that Lennon is to be allowed to "manage" the team till the end of the season.This to include the play-off games also I assume.

Apart from the recent horrendous form,the complete lack of fight and the fact we have three home games where we rarely win, having Lennon in charge seems a very big risk for a team supposedly fighting for its life.

I have more or less given up hope of avoiding the second bottom spot and even given up calling for Lennons head, such is the apathy he has induced.

Surely, surely, if we lose yet again against Motherwell, he HAS to be sacked before the post split fixtures if we are to have ANY chance.Or does no-one care enough ?

I assume from the continued silence emanating from the boardroom, that Lennon is to be allowed to "manage" the team till the end of the season.This to include the play-off games also I assume.

Apart from the recent horrendous form,the complete lack of fight and the fact we have three home games where we rarely win, having Lennon in charge seems a very big risk for a team supposedly fighting for its life.

I have more or less given up hope of avoiding the second bottom spot and even given up calling for Lennons head, such is the apathy he has induced.

Surely, surely, if we lose yet again against Motherwell, he HAS to be sacked before the post split fixtures if we are to have ANY chance.Or does no-one care enough ?

Isabella was right, football supporters ARE stupid. 1eye.gif1eye.gif1eye.gif

... or we could be going into the split 1 ahead of Partick and level with County?

I offered you a £100 charity bet months ago in an attempt to call your bluff and get you to cut out the negative, speculative nonsense you post. You crapped yourself...

The offer still stands Mr "Confident"

Edited by Vambo57

I dont think anyone cares anymore think everyones excepted we will be in playoff

McAusland and McGregor should be scoring a few more from set pieces. Has Goodwin scored his wonder goal for the season yet? Don't think he has.

Getting Teale back will be a huge bonus for us. We have really missed him this season. I wonder how many assists he contributed last season? My guess is quite a few, must be near double figures?

Was thinking thay myself about McGregor. He wins a lot of headers from corners and crosses when he pushes up chasing an equaliser, but can never seem to convert. He should be scoring at least a few goals a season

I'm sure there was a stat posted on here that he had gotten more assists last season than McGowan had in his first three seasons combined.

Not bad for someone that 'flatters to deceive'.

Getting Teale match fit post split is crucial to our hopes of avoiding the playoff.

He's one of the few players of genuine class we have.

If he can put this seasons injuries behind him I'd definitely like to see him offered one last contract for next season.

Was thinking thay myself about McGregor. He wins a lot of headers from corners and crosses when he pushes up chasing an equaliser, but can never seem to convert. He should be scoring at least a few goals a season

I'm sure there was a stat posted on here that he had gotten more assists last season than McGowan had in his first three seasons combined.

Not bad for someone that 'flatters to deceive'.

I reckon if Teale was a Saints fan and Thommo wasn't he would of took all the player of the year awards last season. I'd say he was our best player but opted for Thommo for the obvious reason.

Here is another take on it

get DL to put the last 6 fixtures up on the board

4 at home 2 away

gee the boys up and say 6 cup finals to go

P.S. as a ST.MIRREN fan...why be so confident about other teams winning

keep the faith wee man

Games between the teams in Paisley are normally tight affairs. There hasn't been more than 1 goal between the teams in any of the league matches at our new stadium, a lot of draws and the odd 1 goal win for both teams.

Think will be the same this weekend. I'm predicting a nervy affair which we will just edge with a last minute winner.

...............and yet despite Teale being up against 10 men for the majority of his time on the pitch he/we failed to produce anything tangible. Indeed the term "flatters to deceive" could have been coined for him during his spell with us apart from the brief period just after Isma arrived. I certainly would not offer him another contract.

I'll offer you a bet - if we move off 11th spot this weekend I'll not post on this site again if we're still there you don't.

Season 2012/13

Gary Teale - Games Started 23

Used Sub 7

Assists 8 (Joint 6th in most assists all season)

St Mirren scored 38 league goals in those games. So Teale assisted in over 20% of our goals.

Then there is the cup run.

Scored against Ayr

Scored in the shootout at Aberdeen.

Involved in the opener against Celtic

Wins the penalty.

Gives the ball to Cheesy to cross the third.

Lifts us off the canvas in the final.

Flatter's to deceive you say...

jiFfM.jpg