Old Paisley Nightclubs

saintstu

The Earl of Cranby and The Latin Quarter were at their peak at the same time as Shuttles.

I'm beginning to think that I've frequented a lot of pubs in the past and that's not even mentioning the endless hours spent in Corkers when the football team I ran played out of there for 7 years.

Earl of Cranby....Shuttle St.

Do we know each other?laugh.png

Cannes in Forbes Place was a another place I frequented in the 80's, then upstairs to Backchat.

The bean bags were difficult to cope with when you were pished.

Used to converse with Mr.McAvennie in there quite often.

Cannes was a great venue , also. They used to play some awesome music in there , lots of good 12" singles . I once went in there straight after work with a guy I worked with at the time , the owner threw him out on account of him wearing steel toe capped shoes " Sorry, no work wear , now GTF. ."

9iRimL5.gif

Edited by saintnextlifetime

I like this thread, it's making me thirsty

It's also making me yearn for another wee go at the Wine bar, that was a crackin place in the day I reckon. If only I only knew then what I know now, that blonde would have been mine without all that extra investment , ffs !

Anyway, anyone want to open a nostalgia boozer for Sentimental Buddies, or even semi mental ones. Win win , unless you talk about the game

Brilliant. I was trying to remember the name of that place.

There was also a pub/club that was located at the top of Love St on the edge of the ring road which I think is called Moncrieff House.

Maybe I was just pished and imagined being in their drinking in the dim and distant past.

Under the Koh-I-nor?

Some of the haunts mentioned on here were different by the time I was doing my thing out in town, was never much into the Glasgow thing, did it occasionally but my usual Thur/Fri/Sat was in Paisley.

I thought of about 10 clubs during the late 90s and crazy amount of pubs catering to all styles.

Thinking about the vacant buildings... Mannequin's (Templar hall) / Carnegies and the pub at the corner (Was it Bar Soba? / Tell Mamas). Bit of a wild corner and after I was 18 never really ventured back down there apart from Carnegies pre/post match.

Then there was the one that became the institute, think it was the Kasbah and can't remember what it was before that. There was also a pub attached to it. Now both vacant.

Shuttle street - wow that was buzzing. I remember having work mates in town from Edinburgh and they were amazed. Loved it.

Really wonder what the youth do today... perhaps they're all in the gym!

Where did it all go wrong, I think it's all been said, cheap booze in the supermarkets / smoking ban / other things to do.

Then there was the one that became the institute, think it was the Kasbah and can't remember what it was before that. There was also a pub attached to it. Now both vacant.

Was called "Make for the border" IIRC.

Tex/Mex themed.

Ah Kasbah - Friday nights from around 1997-1999 with 'Mr Stretch Limo' :-) That guy was awesome!! :-) Still remember one night at the top of the stairs when making his entrance, he fell over his own platform shoes and 'fell' down the entire flight of stairs without actually falling over.... If that makes sense.... :-D Made it to the bottom and got on the microphone saying 'Nearly broke my god damn neck!' with a huge grin on his face. Happy memories! :-)

"Paisley did have a time eh , where did it all go Pete tong"

Prices and the Smoking ban.

I warned folk that the smoking ban would be the final coffin... "Nah" they said " Pubs will fill with non-smokers. You Know? The ones that don't go to pubs now because they don't want to smell like auld ashtrays?" well... where the f**k are yees?

The Social Clubs have died a death too, because of the smoking ban primarily IMO. No place for an auld biddie tae go and have a fag and a hauf-n-hauf...

Shame on you stay at home non-smokers.. You have reaped what you wished sown.

Paisley was dead before the smoking ban. I am a non-smoker and I DESPISE smoking, and whilst I do like coming home from a night out and not STINKING like hell I did say at the time that they should have tried to just get some kind of segregation even - a wee bit thru back of pub if possible etc. I don't go out much now cos its too dear (for me) and tbh I prefer a night in, pals, drink, and tunes. all good. noo go have a fag and cheer up :-)

I don't think the closure of Paisley's nightclubs is down to the smoking ban which came into place in Scotland in 2006.

Most places mentioned on this thread had closed or been burnt down before 2006.

As an example Carnegies was on it's last legs by 99/00 season when it only seemed to open for the match day trade IIRC.

Harvie's Showbar was another place that was a good late night haunt, but it must have shut well before the smoking ban.

I'd like to say that as a nation we are all healthier and wealthier as a result of smoking ban, but sadly it looks like more and more of our young playstation generation are unable to walk a few hundred yards as a result of becoming couch potatoes with the advent of the games and the internet.

The supermarkets have also made it more attractive to stay at home with the price of a 4pack less than the price of a cab into town.

Since the boom of the 80s nightclub fever in Paisley we have seen the introduction of multi-screen cinemas and various other outlets.

With the right vision Paisley could become a very attractive place to develop a new nightlife.

So is anyone up for pooling our wisdom and Shull's Shekels to build a Black and White themed nightclub?

Suggestions for names?

"Macca's"

"Fony Titz"

"Guni's"

Only one name - ABER'S!

Brilliant. I was trying to remember the name of that place.

There was also a pub/club that was located at the top of Love St on the edge of the ring road which I think is called Moncrieff House.

Maybe I was just pished and imagined being in their drinking in the dim and distant past.

think I was in there when I was about 10 for a family party!

Ah Kasbah - Friday nights from around 1997-1999 with 'Mr Stretch Limo' :-) That guy was awesome!! :-) Still remember one night at the top of the stairs when making his entrance, he fell over his own platform shoes and 'fell' down the entire flight of stairs without actually falling over.... If that makes sense.... :-D Made it to the bottom and got on the microphone saying 'Nearly broke my god damn neck!' with a huge grin on his face. Happy memories! :-)

Forgot about that part of the night clap.gif

I loved Shuttle Street and the whole vibe of the area.

I worked in Shuttles... next door in the Bistro... across the road in The Earl of Cranby... Glovers would have given me a full set!

Uset to drink my breaks in The Wine Bar!

Loved The Cotton Club... was there on its opening night... classy for a Toledo Junction regular!

Was there a bar on St Miren brae about 15 years ago?

My mate went to paisley Uni to do a post grad and I'm sure he got me through on a double date with two lassies off his course.

Anyway, the bar was, I'm sure lilac or purple decor, split level. Somewhere near where the cash machines are and the newsagent.

Just been told it was on Causeyside Street.

Edited by dave.j

I don't think the closure of Paisley's nightclubs is down to the smoking ban which came into place in Scotland in 2006.

Most places mentioned on this thread had closed or been burnt down before 2006.

Sorry mate, was really talking about the Pubs and I think I said the smoking ban "was the last nail in the coffin" for pubs & social Clubs.

Chaplin's?

... and before that... The 3 Horseshoes?

Some of the haunts mentioned on here were different by the time I was doing my thing out in town, was never much into the Glasgow thing, did it occasionally but my usual Thur/Fri/Sat was in Paisley.

I thought of about 10 clubs during the late 90s and crazy amount of pubs catering to all styles.

Thinking about the vacant buildings... Mannequin's (Templar hall) / Carnegies and the pub at the corner (Was it Bar Soba? / Tell Mamas). Bit of a wild corner and after I was 18 never really ventured back down there apart from Carnegies pre/post match.

Shuttle street - wow that was buzzing. I remember having work mates in town from Edinburgh and they were amazed. Loved it.

Really wonder what the youth do today... perhaps they're all in the gym!

Where did it all go wrong, I think it's all been said, cheap booze in the supermarkets / smoking ban / other things to do.

I think its a vicious circle as folk (certainly me, apart from home games) seldom go out to a place unless there's a band or comedy on and most pubs won't put on entertainment cos of not enough punters.

Our Town's University has the highest population of Ethnic students in Scotland. A couple of years ago I tried to set up a Ska n Reggae night in The Students Union, but the Ents President took cold feet, as he said all the Students want to do is just drink and play Xbox in the bar.

I've told anybody who would listen about my dream/idea (if I won the Lottery) to open up (or run the place if there's any rich Buds out there?)the old What Every Women Wants shop in Smithills St as a music/entertainment venue, called 'The Alternative'.

That place is huge and ideal. Upstairs would be a lounge, chock-a-block with comfy settees, couches and armchairs (a bit like TV's Frazier's brother Niles's apartment). Each night there would be a regular theme e.g. Monday Rock & Blues, Tuesday Electronica, Wednesday Folk or comedy, Thursday Country, Friday Ska, punk & Reggae, Saturday afternoon Jazz, Saturday night Alternative/Indie, Sunday afternoon Dub Lunch, Sunday night Soul, that kinda thing. That way everyone would know which night there favourite stuff was on.

Downstairs on each night, there would be a live band or DJ playing the theme of the night.

Build it and people will come!

Paisley was dead before the smoking ban. I am a non-smoker and I DESPISE smoking, and whilst I do like coming home from a night out and not STINKING like hell I did say at the time that they should have tried to just get some kind of segregation even - a wee bit thru back of pub if possible etc. I don't go out much now cos its too dear (for me) and tbh I prefer a night in, pals, drink, and tunes. all good. noo go have a fag and cheer up :-)

ty!

Yep, with modern extractor's and air conditioning 'walls', smoking areas would not impinge on the Fag Fascists. Or you could just have smoking and non-smoking pubs... I know which ones would be busiest...

Edited by Vambo57

Was there a bar on St Miren brae about 15 years ago?

My mate went to paisley Uni to do a post grad and I'm sure he got me through on a double date with two lassies off his course.

Anyway, the bar was, I'm sure lilac or purple decor, split level. Somewhere near where the cash machines are and the newsagent.

Just been told it was on Causeyside Street.

Possibly Lush which is just up from Mr Kebabs.

Yep, with modern extractor's and air conditioning 'walls', smoking areas would not impinge on the Fag Fascists. Or you could just have smoking and non-smoking pubs... I know which ones would be busiest...

aye I did think smoking or non smoking pubs also but every landlord would have gone for non-smoking. It might not be so bad in years to come cos a lot of younger folk aren't taking up smoking now

Our Town's University has the highest population of Ethnic students in Scotland. A couple of years ago I tried to set up a Ska n Reggae night in The Students Union, but the Ents President took cold feet, as he said all the Students want to do is just drink and play Xbox in the bar.

I've told anybody who would listen about my dream/idea (if I won the Lottery) to open up (or run the place if there's any rich Buds out there?)the old What Every Women Wants shop in Smithills St as a music/entertainment venue, called 'The Alternative'.

That place is huge and ideal. Upstairs would be a lounge, chock-a-block with comfy settees, couches and armchairs (a bit like TV's Frazier's brother Niles's apartment). Each night there would be a regular theme e.g. Monday Rock & Blues, Tuesday Electronica, Wednesday Folk or comedy, Thursday Country, Friday Ska, punk & Reggae, Saturday afternoon Jazz, Saturday night Alternative/Indie, Sunday afternoon Dub Lunch, Sunday night Soul, that kinda thing. That way everyone would know which night there favourite stuff was on.

Downstairs on each night, there would be a live band or DJ playing the theme of the night.

Build it and people will come!

That sounds horrendous

Sorry mate, was really talking about the Pubs and I think I said the smoking ban "was the last nail in the coffin" for pubs & social Clubs.

... and before that... The 3 Horseshoes?

Was it also called 'The Centre Circle' or something at one point?