Old Paisley Nightclubs

saintstu

Just the whole idea isn't any good to be honest. A stramash of themed nights in a unit that would never be close to being half filled never mind at capacity.

That may be your opinion, but tell me...

which Paisley Hostelry is close to being near half-filled on a daily basis?

Which pub in Paisley do you go to on a weekly basis and what entertainment does it provide?

Sorry mate, was really talking about the Pubs and I think I said the smoking ban "was the last nail in the coffin" for pubs & social Clubs.

... and before that... The 3 Horseshoes?

I think its a vicious circle as folk (certainly me, apart from home games) seldom go out to a place unless there's a band or comedy on and most pubs won't put on entertainment cos of not enough punters.

Our Town's University has the highest population of Ethnic students in Scotland. A couple of years ago I tried to set up a Ska n Reggae night in The Students Union, but the Ents President took cold feet, as he said all the Students want to do is just drink and play Xbox in the bar.

I've told anybody who would listen about my dream/idea (if I won the Lottery) to open up (or run the place if there's any rich Buds out there?)the old What Every Women Wants shop in Smithills St as a music/entertainment venue, called 'The Alternative'.

That place is huge and ideal. Upstairs would be a lounge, chock-a-block with comfy settees, couches and armchairs (a bit like TV's Frazier's brother Niles's apartment). Each night there would be a regular theme e.g. Monday Rock & Blues, Tuesday Electronica, Wednesday Folk or comedy, Thursday Country, Friday Ska, punk & Reggae, Saturday afternoon Jazz, Saturday night Alternative/Indie, Sunday afternoon Dub Lunch, Sunday night Soul, that kinda thing. That way everyone would know which night there favourite stuff was on.

Downstairs on each night, there would be a live band or DJ playing the theme of the night.

Build it and people will come!

Yep, with modern extractor's and air conditioning 'walls', smoking areas would not impinge on the Fag Fascists. Or you could just have smoking and non-smoking pubs... I know which ones would be busiest...

Your idea in some form may have some potential, the offices above the monstrosity piazza is to be turned into student digs - thats a lot of potential custom.

I am never oot nowadays but ended up going for a 'couple' at 6pm - went into bankhouse as central and just for a 'couple' I was thinking if it turns into another couple - we'll go to The Bull. So 6 hours later let bankhouse, sat in a wee booth gabbed away good night - but Thursday night dunno about anywhere else but it was empty! 'Back in the day' when I was a lass Thursday was the start of the weekend and the pubs were busy!

Wasn't there a pub in Lawn Street called the Jihadi Bar?

There used to be a Palestinian DJ in there on a Thursday night and they used to pit a bunnet

roon to collect for their comrades in the Westbank who fought for the cause and got huckled

at New Love street making rip roaring cùnts of themselves laugh.png

Also known as Zowies or was that somewhere else in Forbes Place?

There was a snooker club in Forbes Place too.We used to go there when the pubs shut from 2:30/6:30pm on a Sunday.

Zowies was at the river end of Forbes Place. On the corner.

The original Corkers was a great wee pub. I heard its reopened.

Does anyone remember if there was a club called The Kazbar in Paisley? Must have been in 1998/99, after working in Cathcart, I think I came to Paisley- bits i can remember where good, no idea how I got home though and didnt make it into the house though- Passed out in the Garden, hugging my fish supper like a teddy!

And Manquins was a bearpit- in there twice and both had massive barnies going on- Still dont think they have torn the building down though. Probably a have for Jakies, junkies and pigeons

What about the old Lighthouse pub in Cotton St rolleyes.gif You would have to as old as me or NSS to remember this place. 16 years old and this auld guy in it ask me for a half, I thought he meant a half penny lol.gif ( pre decimal time here) but no, a whisky he wanted and he was not to happy when I drop a ha'penny into his hand lol.gif

What about the old Lighthouse pub in Cotton St :rolleyes: You would have to as old as me or NSS to remember this place. 16 years old and this auld guy in it ask me for a half, I thought he meant a half penny :lol ( pre decimal time here) but no, a whisky he wanted and he was not to happy when I drop a ha'penny into his hand :lol

I think I had my first pub pint in there. I was well under age, and looked it, but the barman still served me.

I think I had my first pub pint in there. I was well under age, and looked it, but the barman still served me.

The night before it was closing for good, the barman ask me if I was 18.. Does it matter I said, don't reckon it does he said before pouring my pint drinks_cheers.gif

My first underage pint was in a decent music venue - The Bungalow Bar at bottom of Renfrew Rd. Became Stag's Head then a tapas bar. Saw Midge Ure in Slik there among many other good bands in 70s. Also had towns first Pong video game. Four pints of lager, four bags of crisps and change from a quid! Don't know if the venue of same name in Shuttle St is related in any way.

Does anyone remember if there was a club called The Kazbar in Paisley? Must have been in 1998/99, after working in Cathcart, I think I came to Paisley- bits i can remember where good, no idea how I got home though and didnt make it into the house though- Passed out in the Garden, hugging my fish supper like a teddy!

And Manquins was a bearpit- in there twice and both had massive barnies going on- Still dont think they have torn the building down though. Probably a have for Jakies, junkies and pigeons

Kazbar aye that's sounds familiar was the bridge st one at some point? mankys was ok for the first wee while then went to fook

The Cellar Bar in Lady Lane was our favoured Friday Night haunt when we were in S6.

The Silver Tassie was Saturday night's venue. I remember being in there celebrating my mate's 18th. The bar maid asked him what we were celebrating and he told her it was his 18th. This was swiftly followed by the bar maid uttering the words, "Ya wee bastard". She didn't chuck him out though.

Seem to remember The Abercorn across from the police station, was none too fussy about serving us.

Went to The Cellar for a pint one afternoon, instead of double English. Took our JNHS ties off and sat at the bar. Think we had a cigar too.

I remember a lot of "21st" parties in the function suite at The Clippens Inn in S6.whistling.gif

Edited by FTOF

My first underage pint was in a decent music venue - The Bungalow Bar at bottom of Renfrew Rd. Became Stag's Head then a tapas bar. Saw Midge Ure in Slik there among many other good bands in 70s. Also had towns first Pong video game. Four pints of lager, four bags of crisps and change from a quid! Don't know if the venue of same name in Shuttle St is related in any way.

I'm sure those wee Chinese guys used to sell them round the pubs, Dirty baisturds...

Used to love going in there myself, especially instead of sitting through some dull lecture at Reid Kerr. The one in Shuttle Street is effectively a 'tribute' to the old one. Lot's of good info and pictures on www.viciousriff.com

The Cellar Bar in Lady Lane was our favoured Friday Night haunt when we were in S6.

The Silver Tassie was Saturday night's venue. I remember being in there celebrating my mate's 18th. The bar maid asked him what we were celebrating and he told her it was his 18th. This was swiftly followed by the bar maid uttering the words, "Ya wee bastard". She didn't chuck him out though.

Seem to remember The Abercorn across from the police station, was none too fussy about serving us.

Went to The Cellar for a pint one afternoon, instead of double English. Took our JNHS ties off and sat at the bar. Think we had a cigar too.

I remember a lot of "21st" parties in the function suite at The Clippens Inn in S6.whistling.gif

Far canal , I had a very similar pattern in drinking at one time . Tho' I would be in the Silver Tassie of a Friday and then go up stairs to the Lounge or head for Coanes. .

Saturday was the Cellar bar . A fantastic venue . It was the first pub I ever saw a video juke box in , fantastic. It was well known for 5th and 6th years from certain schools to go in there of a lunchtime. It is also the venue where I first met a well known poster that used to be on this very site . It was certainly my favourite pub in Paisley back in the day. .

Yeh , there were always loads of private functions in the Clippens . Sometimes there would be one on the Friday night and then another on the Saturday with an almost similar crowd at both . The part where those functions were held has now gone. .

Kazbar aye that's sounds familiar was the bridge st one at some point? mankys was ok for the first wee while then went to fook

Good, means I was in fact in Paisley. Woke up in Killie one time after going for a few pints in Glasgow. And that pub across from Killie train station- 'Fanny by Gaslight' Good term for Jiggery-Pokery during a power cut, not sure about as a name for a boozer!

Good, means I was in fact in Paisley. Woke up in Killie one time after going for a few pints in Glasgow. And that pub across from Killie train station- 'Fanny by Gaslight' Good term for Jiggery-Pokery during a power cut, not sure about as a name for a boozer!

FBG is a great pub.