Old Paisley Nightclubs

saintstu

10 hours ago, linwood buddie said:

That was some place ,never far away from going up in the air with all the guys who were after each other .

They didn't take kindly when they got pumped, the long walk (none of us had a car in them days) down Murray Street was spent looking backwards, just in case. :wink:

1 hour ago, faraway saint said:

They didn't take kindly when they got pumped, the long walk (none of us had a car in them days) down Murray Street was spent looking backwards, just in case. :wink:

I remember it having a bad reputation, it was on the go around the same time as the Bob inn. 

Just now, ALBIONSAINT said:

I remember it having a bad reputation, it was on the go around the same time as the Bob inn. 

My first local, I only stayed 2-3 mins away.

Learning to play pool in there at the time was a painful process as they were league champions.

It also taught me to be smart as things kicked off on a regular basis. 

I played in there for 2 years, costing me plenty in 20p pieces, the price of a game at the time. :lol:

There used to be some amount of pubs in Paisley, in the North End you had the cottage arm’s, Bob Inn, Alamo , Caledonia bar, wee barrel, elbow room, the court bar, argyle, hole in the wall , ring of bells, and the airport club and Caledonia bowling club. And that’s just the north end ! 

2 minutes ago, ALBIONSAINT said:

There used to be some amount of pubs in Paisley, in the North End you had the cottage arm’s, Bob Inn, Alamo , Caledonia bar, wee barrel, elbow room, the court bar, argyle, hole in the wall , ring of bells, and the airport club and Caledonia bowling club. And that’s just the north end ! 

Where was ring of bells?Only one I knew was in Elderslie.

4 minutes ago, ALBIONSAINT said:

A mates family owned The Alamo when I was young.

Too young to get any advantages of a mates family pub. 

My wife's mother worked in The Bob Inn for a while and a long time in The Caledonia bar. 

2 minutes ago, magnus said:

Think it was Eamonn. He passed away very young. Very nice guy 

Just asked her who must be obeyed, she thinks it was Owen as well. 

I lost touch in my mid teens when I started work.

His mother was a fiery woman, wouldn't have messed with her if I was of age to drink. 

Shame he's gone, probably would have been about the same age as me. 

2 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

This story gives some details.

It's 5 years old so he could have passed away since then if it's the same guy? 

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/incoming/joanne-keeping-family-goes-gold-5607707

It's the same family but might be a different man. Eammon went to St Aelreds and I'm pretty sure he passed more than 5 years ago. Was a Civil Engineer then financial services - a really nice guy.

7 minutes ago, magnus said:

It's the same family but might be a different man. Eammon went to St Aelreds and I'm pretty sure he passed more than 5 years ago. Was a Civil Engineer then financial services - a really nice guy.

I just searched Facebook, found Owen Ferry, and even although it's been about 50 years I'm convinced it's the same guy I knew.

Owen would have went to St James's then St Mirrens academy. 

I've messaged him, if he rubbers me I could be wrong. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the memory jog. :thumbs2

4 hours ago, ALBIONSAINT said:

Yeah...if only there was a thread on here which listed them all.

Oh wait, there is!

I just searched Facebook, found Owen Ferry, and even although it's been about 50 years I'm convinced it's the same guy I knew.
Owen would have went to St James's then St Mirrens academy. 
I've messaged him, if he rubbers me I could be wrong. :rolleyes:
Thanks for the memory jog. :thumbs2

St Mirin's Academy - only guttersnipes call it St Mirren's Academy.

[emoji846]

3 hours ago, faraway saint said:

Yip, Owen I think, also had a sister, can't remember her name but she was a stunner.........................:rolleyes:

Was it Mary Ann , or similar ? I knew them well , Owen , the late Alan Erskine and me hung about together for a while , even went on holiday. Eamonn was head of Airfield Ops at Stansted Airport until he sadly took his own life. 

Just now, billyg said:

Was it Mary Ann , or similar ? I knew them well , Owen , the late Alan Erskine and me hung about together for a while , even went on holiday. Eamonn was head of Airfield Ops at Stansted Airport until he sadly took his own life. 

Bang on Billy, couldn't get it for the life of me. :thumbs2

As I said earlier, I've dropped him, Owen, a message, as soon as I seen a pic of him I recognised him straight away. 

• 3 months later...