Old Paisley Nightclubs

saintstu

Cowped a few hairy arsed hingoots in there, rich pickings of paisleys dirty cows in this dive. laugh.png

I was steamboats outside there one night and did a piss up against the hedge, right in front

of a meatwagon full of polis, 50 quid fine up ma hole. laugh.png

I hope they let you finish first ! lol.gif

My 'young out on the town' days were 1979/1984 approx. We never went to Paisley for nights out. We always hit Coanes wine bar in Johnstone, then into Glasgow and some beers in La Marelle and onto the Cardinal Folly. Wandering through the dry ice and blue lasers trying to get a dance. 'Wham' haircuts, white jackets with sleeves rolled up...

A quieter night would be pints and space invaders / pool in the Cochrane House in Spateston. Never went to the Osprey in Spateston - although the chippy next to it was well frequented. A very quiet pint just for a chat with my mates meant going to the Lynnhurst Hotel in Johnstone with its' red carpets and hammered-copper top tables.

Memories, memories!

Was called "The Institute" in its latter years.

Won Scottish nightclub of the year in the mid-nineties during that particular incarnation.

They used to bus people in from all over the Glasgow area.

Had some fun evenings in there.

Yup - my first nightclub experience was in there! I actually think it was burned down twice. First attempt wasn't as successful as the second mind you....

Willie Thorn played an challenge match against Eddie Sinclair, Scottish professional but pretty rubbish, at the Cue Ball.

Thorn won the first couple of frames, almost had one of his famous 147's and was looking like he couldn't miss a ball.

Sinclair then produced one of THE best potting exhibitions I've ever seen, won 6-2.

A few week slater he was playing Kirk Stevens n the World Championship, he was 10/1.

I'm having some of that I said, he got beat 10-1, was lucky to get one, bottled it in front of the cameras.

B'strd.

I was at that game too... tho no recollection of the outcome. If that was from memory then I applaud you!

My 'young out on the town' days were 1979/1984 approx. We never went to Paisley for nights out. We always hit Coanes wine bar in Johnstone, then into Glasgow and some beers in La Marelle and onto the Cardinal Folly. Wandering through the dry ice and blue lasers trying to get a dance. 'Wham' haircuts, white jackets with sleeves rolled up...

A quieter night would be pints and space invaders / pool in the Cochrane House in Spateston. Never went to the Osprey in Spateston - although the chippy next to it was well frequented. A very quiet pint just for a chat with my mates meant going to the Lynnhurst Hotel in Johnstone with its' red carpets and hammered-copper top tables.

Memories, memories!

Ah yes back in the day , the Cochrane House (coaky doak?) was a quiet pint indeed , as long as you weren't down stairs on dancing night. When Ind Coupe moved in on the place the beer got bad , Courage (you needed courage to drink it ) was rank , so we mixed it with sweet stout to get black and tans. Aye the Lynnhurst was a very quiet pint , but we only went a couple of times . As for Coanes , it was the first bar of its type in Johnstone and the old Masonic next door had great beer even back then. .

Where in Johnstone was the Ludovic? I remember being in it but can't remember where it was.

McDowall Street.

Used to drink in there on a Friday night on the odd occasion.

We used to do pies and pints and dominoes for lunch in the Ludo, when I worked at Rootes.

It was in a different place then, IIRC.

A new build (60s) on the north side of Main Road, here on Streetmap:

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x=244357&y=663155&z=110&sv=244357,663155&st=4&ar=y&mapp=map.srf&searchp=ids.srf&dn=779&ax=244357&ay=663155&lm=0

I had a nostalgic look for it when I walked past a couple of weeks ago. There it was, no there. :(

Think that building's now a club or restaurant. Didnae pay attention, when I saw it wisnae Ludo.

Edited by bluto

Mibbe it never was the Ludo.... unsure.png

Ludovic is definitely a Johnstone name, no Elderslie....

But we definitely did go to a pub in that position, as described... And I thought it was called that....

AnyBuddie....?

The establishment in the position you mention , was the Wallace Tree Inn before being taken over by triads , er , the Chinese. .

The Wallace Tree was a popular place back in the day and the carpark would often be full. .can't ever recall it being refered to as the Ludo. .

The Ludovic was deffo in MacDowall St and wasn't an old building despite its demolition . .

I think Ludovic , comes from the name Ludovic Houston , who was one of the last Lairds of Johnstone. .

Yup - my first nightclub experience was in there! I actually think it was burned down twice. First attempt wasn't as successful as the second mind you....

And here's me thinking you were a man of the law. What happened to 'allegedly'?

Mibbe it never was the Ludo.... unsure.png

Ludovic is definitely a Johnstone name, no Elderslie....

But we definitely did go to a pub in that position, as described... And I thought it was called that....

AnyBuddie....?

Wallace Tree Inn

A good pub when ran by John Devlin who had it for years

When downhill when taken over by the son of the owners of Graham's buses

Who held raves on the weekends in the big lounge which attracted the all the idiots all around.Fights galore and the local custom went elsewhere.

It ended up a chinese restaurant with various owners depending what way the cards went.

Now only the takeaway is being used.

Rumours that it might be a pub again as Elderslie is expanding all the time as every bit of spare land seems to be hooses.

There use to be 4 pubs but now only 1 so it would be good for some competition

True - thing is, whether I allege it or not, the building still became smouldering rubble... :-P

Now I don't want to sound pedantic (that's somebody else's job) but how can anything burn down twice? If it got burned down then rebuilt, it's not the same place. Are you sure it didn't just get a bit singed round the edges first time? And moving on to Johnstone Castle (I know you didn't start it and I don't mean the fire) I always thought Johnstone Castle was a cooncil scheme. Not a proper castle like, for instance, Paisley Castle.