Old Paisley Nightclubs

saintstu

Wallace Tree Inn

A good pub when ran by John Devlin who had it for years

When downhill when taken over by the son of the owners of Graham's buses

Who held raves on the weekends in the big lounge which attracted the all the idiots all around.Fights galore and the local custom went elsewhere.

It ended up a chinese restaurant with various owners depending what way the cards went.

Now only the takeaway is being used.

Rumours that it might be a pub again as Elderslie is expanding all the time as every bit of spare land seems to be hooses.

There use to be 4 pubs but now only 1 so it would be good for some competition

Any idea what's happening with Jimmy Blue's? There's a shed load of work going on and I noticed they've kept the Wallace Tavern sign in place so wondered if it was reopening as a pub.

Now I don't want to sound pedantic (that's somebody else's job) but how can anything burn down twice? If it got burned down then rebuilt, it's not the same place. Are you sure it didn't just get a bit singed round the edges first time? And moving on to Johnstone Castle (I know you didn't start it and I don't mean the fire) I always thought Johnstone Castle was a cooncil scheme. Not a proper castle like, for instance, Paisley Castle.

Indeed, Johnstone castle is a council scheme named after said castle , which was more of a stately home once called Easter Cochrane and then renamed at some point in the 18th c. The castle was mostly demolished in 1950 and the picture below shows what is left , including a wee add on bit erected by the current owner. .

johnstonecastle01.jpg.

Any idea what's happening with Jimmy Blue's? There's a shed load of work going on and I noticed they've kept the Wallace Tavern sign in place so wondered if it was reopening as a pub.

I'm reliably informed that they are building a small mini-mart next to the old pub . What will happen to the pub , would be better answered by Windae Cleaner. .

Indeed, Johnstone castle is a council scheme named after said castle , which was more of a stately home once called Easter Cochrane and then renamed at some point in the 18th c. The castle was mostly demolished in 1950 and the picture below shows what is left , including a wee add on bit erected by the current owner. .

johnstonecastle01.jpg.

Is it occupied or is that another dopey question?

Was it near the football pitches ,I've forgotten the name, out towards the Miliken Park End of Johnstone?

Do you mean the public park pitches? Shanks Park is the full name, I think, you'd pass Johnstone Castle on your left along Beith Road to get to the park. Keep going along Beith Road past the woods and the next scheme to your left is Cochrane Castle, named after the same castle, with the public park on your right.

Where in Johnstone was the Ludovic? I remember being in it but can't remember where it was.

Ah, the Ludovic. I was introduced to Moscow Mules there - never been so sick in my life. My mate's sister had a flat just up the road, and apparently I was puking out of her (2nd floor) window. Some sod called the rozzers, and I was given a stern talking to.

A key shop store i was told

The pub part i was told would be a chemist

http://www.scottishgrocer.co.uk/2013/05/pub-to-shop-beats-mass-objections/

"A PLANNED new convenience store in the town that’s said to have been the birthplace of Scottish hero William Wallace has won the right to sell alcohol – despite major opposition from residents who say they fear trouble in the village if another licensed outlet opens."

Ah, the Ludovic. I was introduced to Moscow Mules there - never been so sick in my life. My mate's sister had a flat just up the road, and apparently I was puking out of her (2nd floor) window. Some sod called the rozzers, and I was given a stern talking to.

I blame the lime!!!

Wine bar in New Street (?) at the bottom ..................was that a night club or wis it just open dead late............cannot recall whistling.gif

La Verte was the name of the wine bar. When it closed, it was empty for years, then opened as a pub/restaurant/venue... forget the name. Then became a nightclub (again forget the name) and the nightclub's last name was Moloko.

Wine bar in New Street (?) at the bottom ..................was that a night club or wis it just open dead late............cannot recall whistling.gif

A great place.

Definitely a trendy pub. Great, relaxed atmosphere.

They used to have a bus which took you to The Cotton Club near closing time.

A great place.

One half was known as La Verte and the other as La Rendezvous IIRC, latterly as Moloko and The Yard respectively. One of my first under aged drinking haunts. I remember a load of us Wellmeadow co-op back shift crew going in one night only for one of us getting flung oot for ordering a "pint". "A pint of what ?" enquired the bar maid... "Dunno, what kind of pints have ye got ?" replied the dunderhead from the meat counter !

One half was known as La Verte and the other as La Rendezvous IIRC, latterly as Moloko and The Yard respectively. One of my first under aged drinking haunts. I remember a load of us Wellmeadow co-op back shift crew going in one night only for one of us getting flung oot for ordering a "pint". "A pint of what ?" enquired the bar maid... "Dunno, what kind of pints have ye got ?" replied the dunderhead from the meat counter !

La Rendezvous was the bit we used to frequent.

Used to be a group of us from the golf club who went there frequently. Most of us were overage, but there were a couple who constantly walked the tightrope of being knocked back.

Also, I'm sure in the early 00's it was briefly a tapas restaurant called La Coccina.

A great place.

Yaaaaahs, brilliant

Exotic bottled lagers , electric soup like, and a late night bus trip to try yer luck.......Paisley did have a time eh , where did it all go Pete tong

What was the name of the pub that was across from The Bull? It eventually became the shish mahal.

Was it Minstrels?

We used to drink in there too. We knew the barmaid in there and used to get more back in change than we handed over for payment. Endless cans of Schlitz (whatever happened to it?) were downed in there.

What was the name of the pub that was across from The Bull? It eventually became the shish mahal.

Was it Minstrels?

We used to drink in there too. We knew the barmaid in there and used to get more back in change than we handed over for payment. Endless cans of Schlitz (whatever happened to it?) were downed in there.

Here's one for you .........'the centurion 'I am told is maybe the place name ? I think my cousin worked there.