Sign in to follow this  
saintstu

Old Paisley Nightclubs

Wine bar in New Street (?) at the bottom ..................was that a night club or wis it just open dead late............cannot recall whistling.gif

Ah , the wine bar ! So many great nights in there .thumbup2.gif Great msuic, lots of fantastic talent ( but only when the missus wasnt looking !!) Red stripe lager & Furstenberg Beer. ....... & a corrugated plastic roof on the new bit !

Here's one for you .........'the centurion 'I am told is maybe the place name ? I think my cousin worked there.

I believe that's what it was called before it became hip and trendy, with a requirement for wearing the "Miami vice" jacket and t-shirt ensemble.whistling.gif

I had a wee night in the Centurion for my 18th.Nessie the Manageress wasn't too happy.........I'd been a regular in there for 2 years!!We used to keep out of the way in the upstairs pool room.

Was that Bar Bossa about 2000 ? Had a restaurant bit upstairs?

yeah couldn't tell ye the year mind you but aye remember that - even did the door one night tho I cant for the life of me remember why - must have been a favour!

I think at some point most people had been in Paris (silk st) The Garage & Body shop

Paris started the underage nights which gave the under 18s a taste of nightlife.

Me and a good mate from Foxbar spent our teens in The Garage good nights were had.

Tried the Cotton Club but only once , tried Toledo junction a couple of times.

Hard for some to believe but Paisley was a good night out in the 80s

Where did it all go wrong ?

I think at some point most people had been in Paris (silk st) The Garage & Body shop

Paris started the underage nights which gave the under 18s a taste of nightlife.

Me and a good mate from Foxbar spent our teens in The Garage good nights were had.

Dunno , Paisley just seems empty now compared to back then , it is almost deserted even at the weekends and one can only assume that buddies go elsewhere for a night out. .

Combination of factors I'd guess.

"Accidental" fires ravaged at least 3 venues.

Turf wars involving local drug gangs and security firms brought bad press to the town. Probably no different to any other large town or city, but it seemed that the local media were determined to keep the bad news on the front page.

Some owners probably got complacent.

Club goers decided that Glasgow was a better alternative and once you lose your market, terminal decline sets in.

One place that has not been mentioned that was buzzing through that period was Carnegie's. Sad to see such a shell of venue that was a very lively nightspot.

Used to frequent Paris when it was still called Valentinos. It was a popular pulling spot for a number of Saints players. Met 'whaurs the burds' there on several occasions, before he got the taste for London nightlife.

Wondered that myself many times. My time of clubbing was mid nineties to about 2005 and there were easily 10 clubs when I started and loads of decent pubs. Really don't know what happened but there were always people from all over the place in town. Shawlands these days seems to have the nightlife now that we used to have.

Carnegies - brilliant! Wednesday, Thur, Fri, Sat and Sund night I spent in there - you couldn't afford that noo a days!!!

I was never one for going to Glasgow carnegies, Toledo and the cotton club did me.

Harvies showbar was popular too went a few times. What's left for the young yins noo?

Carnegies - brilliant! Wednesday, Thur, Fri, Sat and Sund night I spent in there - you couldn't afford that noo a days!!!

"Paisley did have a time eh , where did it all go Pete tong"

Prices and the Smoking ban.

I warned folk that the smoking ban would be the final coffin... "Nah" they said " Pubs will fill with non-smokers. You Know? The ones that don't go to pubs now because they don't want to smell like auld ashtrays?" well... where the f**k are yees?

The Social Clubs have died a death too, because of the smoking ban primarily IMO. No place for an auld biddie tae go and have a fag and a hauf-n-hauf...

Shame on you stay at home non-smokers.. You have reaped what you wished sown.

A good wee pub for me on a Friday when I was about 18 was Harvey's up Glasgow road.

I used to as a teen work in fine fare/Gateway was a smashing wee pub to fall into right beside work they usually had a band on if I recall ?

Ach those were the days eh ?

There was and still is some fantastic people in Paisley , certainly much more good than bad , I would love the towns night life to be 'reclaimed' by the decent folk !

Did someone mention a time machine :P

Edited by whydowebother

I warned folk that the smoking ban would be the final coffin... "Nah" they said " Pubs will fill with non-smokers. You Know? The ones that don't go to pubs now because they don't want to smell like auld ashtrays?" well... where the f**k are yees?

The Social Clubs have died a death too, because of the smoking ban primarily IMO. No place for an auld biddie tae go and have a fag and a hauf-n-hauf...

And great it is, nice lovely quiet pubs, no stinking fag smoke, I love it. thumbup2.gif

I had a wee night in the Centurion for my 18th.Nessie the Manageress wasn't too happy.........I'd been a regular in there for 2 years!!We used to keep out of the way in the upstairs pool room.

A lassie I used to know from The Cellar (Pat's) Bar days did that very thing too, got barred on her 18th... numpty !

I don't think the closure of Paisley's nightclubs is down to the smoking ban which came into place in Scotland in 2006.

Most places mentioned on this thread had closed or been burnt down before 2006.

As an example Carnegies was on it's last legs by 99/00 season when it only seemed to open for the match day trade IIRC.

Harvie's Showbar was another place that was a good late night haunt, but it must have shut well before the smoking ban.

I'd like to say that as a nation we are all healthier and wealthier as a result of smoking ban, but sadly it looks like more and more of our young playstation generation are unable to walk a few hundred yards as a result of becoming couch potatoes with the advent of the games and the internet.

The supermarkets have also made it more attractive to stay at home with the price of a 4pack less than the price of a cab into town.

Since the boom of the 80s nightclub fever in Paisley we have seen the introduction of multi-screen cinemas and various other outlets.

With the right vision Paisley could become a very attractive place to develop a new nightlife.

So is anyone up for pooling our wisdom and Shull's Shekels to build a Black and White themed nightclub?

Suggestions for names?

"Macca's"

"Fony Titz"

"Guni's"

Cannes in Forbes Place was a another place I frequented in the 80's, then upstairs to Backchat.

The bean bags were difficult to cope with when you were pished.

Used to converse with Mr.McAvennie in there quite often.

In my teens, it was Watermill Hotel on Friday and Saturday nights. Friars Hall on Sunday night with the Normandy Hotel on Monday night. Plus the Tudor Arms on a Saturday before and after our games, those were the days punk.gif

Cannes in Forbes Place was a another place I frequented in the 80's, then upstairs to Backchat.

Also known as Zowies or was that somewhere else in Forbes Place?

There was a snooker club in Forbes Place too.We used to go there when the pubs shut from 2:30/6:30pm on a Sunday.

Brilliant. I was trying to remember the name of that place.

There was also a pub/club that was located at the top of Love St on the edge of the ring road which I think is called Moncrieff House.

Maybe I was just pished and imagined being in their drinking in the dim and distant past.