Accident In Johnstone

RickMcD

There was a photo on the Scottish News section of the BBC website about an hour ago of what was left of a car in which a 21yr.old died yesterday right outside Johnstone High School. What a mess. The photo and even the article seem to have disappeared now. Not sure why. I've rarely seen so much damage and really it would have been surprising if anyone in the front seats survived. Not trying to prejudge what happened but it would appear that the car was probably going at high speed. I haven't been on that road for a few years but I think it used to be a 30 zone there. In any event, a tragic end to a young life.

I saw the article and picture, and yes at first glance it was horrendous, however it would have looked worse as I could tell on closer inspection that parts of the car had been cut away with equipment to get the poor boy out and try to save him. Like you say though - there was barely even a front end left on it... Very sad.

I was visiting my mum in Ranfurly care home on the Beith Road when it happened. Out the window of the resident's lounge we saw emergency vehicles arriving on the scene. We left the home and the police were stopping traffic right outside on the Beith Road / Rannoch Road junction. We turned right past Thomas Shanks public park and headed home. At the time we said to each other 'must be a bad one', but didn't know the extent of it.

I know a friend of the deceased driver. Let's not pander to misplaced manners - it was caused by stupid and dangerous driving. I just wish I had a reason to believe the waste of a kid's life would stand as a warning to his friends who drive like idiots, but I don't.

As others have said, thank goodness no-one else was hurt.

It might not sound like it, but I do feel sympathy for the driver's family & loved ones.

I know a friend of the deceased driver. Let's not pander to misplaced manners - it was caused by stupid and dangerous driving. I just wish I had a reason to believe the waste of a kid's life would stand as a warning to his friends who drive like idiots, but I don't.

As others have said, thank goodness no-one else was hurt.

It might not sound like it, but I do feel sympathy for the driver's family & loved ones.

I had little doubt when I made the original post that high speed had to be a contributory factor but didn't want to appear to be jumping to conclusions. Like you, I feel for the family of the deceased. And far too many young drivers still learn the hard way.

That kind of thing makes me sick as would an Irish tricolour if it was being used as a sectarian symbol.

At the risk of jumping to further conclusions, my take on it is that you see a lot of these tributes these days. Usually involving OF tops. Many of the football tops and flowers placed beside lamp-posts and trees etc WILL be from relatives and friends of the deceased, but these will be added to by 'hangers on' intent on adding more Celtic or The Rangers taps' to the 'display'. Perhaps a UVF flag was placed by a family member, or a 'hanger-on'. In either event, (and here's me jumping to a conclusion) - that person is a thick arsepiece.

Feel free to disagree forum buddies.

At the risk of jumping to further conclusions, my take on it is that you see a lot of these tributes these days. Usually involving OF tops. Many of the football tops and flowers placed beside lamp-posts and trees etc WILL be from relatives and friends of the deceased, but these will be added to by 'hangers on' intent on adding more Celtic or The Rangers taps' to the 'display'. Perhaps a UVF flag was placed by a family member, or a 'hanger-on'. In either event, (and here's me jumping to a conclusion) - that person is a thick arsepiece.

Feel free to disagree forum buddies.

There's 2 shrines on display

A tasteful one of flowers on one side of the road and another one on the other side of the road which has been talked about

Guest TPAFKATS

If its shrines at the roadside yer after, royston road in weegie land has at least one, normally at least a couple. The road itself is full of traffic lights, schools and speed bumps so you tend to notice the decor as you crawl along. I'm sure they don't all involve RTA's either - mibees thats just me jumping to conclusions!

Wouldnt be surprised if google earth streeview has them in all their mixed old firm, non-sectarian, "beauty".

I had little doubt when I made the original post that high speed had to be a contributory factor but didn't want to appear to be jumping to conclusions. Like you, I feel for the family of the deceased. And far too many young drivers still learn the hard way.

Sadly, the young driver in question is no longer in a position to learn.

Drove past it today on the way to Ranfurly care home. On the fence at what used to be the Benson petrol station is what can best be described as a Northern Irish unionist/paramilitary display.

One half of the arse cheek taking the opportunity to show their colours.

Was speaking to a nurse at the home. Her son was travelling in a bus immediately behind the victim's vehicle. He's pretty shaken up as he witnessed the whole thing. He told his mum that 'mental speed' was involved. I think we know that though. Senseless waste of a young life, but thank goodness he never killed or injured anyone else. Two big schools right beside the crash site, and the new Johnstone sports hub. Could easily have ploughed into a group of schoolkids if the timing had been different.

Not much else to add. Poor lad has lost his life, but it seems entirely self-inflicted.

Not comfortable with the unnecessary focus on what type of "mark of respect" is being left at this crash.

Would any St Mirren supporter be happy if an OF forum was deriding black & white related items?

A tragedy, even if self inflicted, is still a tragedy.

Whatever team he supported matters not one jot, and really doesn't merit continual reference never mind any equally as "cheap shots".

Not comfortable with the unnecessary focus on what type of "mark of respect" is being left at this crash.

Would any St Mirren supporter be happy if an OF forum was deriding black & white related items?

Whatever team he supported matters not one jot, and really doesn't merit continual reference never mind any equally as "cheap shots".

Nonsense. If a St Mirren fan died the tributes would be black and white scarves and St Mirren flags. As it would be with Motherwell, Aberdeen, or...

If this poor lad was a Sevco fan, fair enough. Blue and white scarves and The Sevco flags... No problem. I drove past it today. What place do 'Ulster Volunteer Force' flags, UVF messages and other Northern Irish loyalist tat have tied to a Johnstone fence?

It's worthy of discussion because Sevco scum arseholes have stuck this shit up.

There's a big difference between football colours, even Rangers and Celtic, and out and out flags etc. of Protestant or Catholic paramilitary organisations and clearly some are involved in this case.

Nonsense. If a St Mirren fan died the tributes would be black and white scarves and St Mirren flags. As it would be with Motherwell, Aberdeen, or...

If this poor lad was a Sevco fan, fair enough. Blue and white scarves and The Sevco flags... No problem. I drove past it today. What place do 'Ulster Volunteer Force' flags, UVF messages and other Northern Irish loyalist tat have tied to a Johnstone fence?

It's worthy of discussion because Sevco scum arseholes have stuck this shit up.

Indeed, nice of you in your "ivory tower" to decide what's right and what's not.

If these people decide that's what they feel right, well, it's their reaction to a tragedy.

Will it upset me and get me getting all angry, like your recent rants about almost everything, nah.

I disagree, if that's different from your view, I'm ok with that.

PS Peoples choice, if it's legal, is allowed, as far as I'm aware.

If I don't like it, I'm sure they really don't care.

PPS I also said the "focus" was turning the thread into an OF thread by some, rather that the fact a young person had been killed.

Edited by faraway saint

Indeed, nice of you in your "ivory tower" to decide what's right and what's not.

If these people decide that's what they feel right, well, it's their reaction to a tragedy.

Will it upset me and get me getting all angry, like your recent rants about almost everything, nah.

I disagree, if that's different from your view, I'm ok with that.

Reel your neck in. Go back and read what you posted about OF fans taking offence at any St Mirren tribute - that's the nonsense part of your post.

No-one is bothered about The Rangers colours if a The Rangers fan was involved. The place has been festooned with paramilitary banners, and that is what we are discussing.

You are, of course free to post your opinion, which is also of course, all that anyone else taking part here is doing.

If a Motherwell supporter who lived in Hamilton died - your opinion seems to be that any passing Accies fans might find any claret and amber colours put up objectionable. I reserve my right to think this is nonsense. Accies fans might however find it objectionsble if a 'Well flag had a picture of Bobby Sands and 'up the RA' on it... Like the shite on display in Johnstone, but obviously involving white horses, guys called Billy, and associated Sevco scum bollocks.

Reel your neck in. Go back and read what you posted about OF fans taking offence at any St Mirren tribute - that's the nonsense part of your post.

No-one is bothered about The Rangers colours if a The Rangers fan was involved. The place has been festooned with paramilitary banners, and that is what we are discussing.

You are, of course free to post your opinion, which is also of course, all that anyone else taking part here is doing.

If a Motherwell supporter who lived in Hamilton died - your opinion seems to be that any passing Accies fans might find any claret and amber colours put up objectionable. I reserve my right to think this is nonsense. Accies fans might however find it objectionsble if a 'Well flag had a picture of Bobby Sands and 'up the RA' on it... Like the shite on display in Johnstone, but obviously involving white horses, guys called Billy, and associated Sevco scum bollocks.

See edit above.

Cheers.