Accident In Johnstone

RickMcD

A young, local lad has died in a terrible car crash and this topic has turned into an argument over flags left at the scene.

Leave it out. it's utterly pathetic.

That's forums for you though. The original topic of a thread, no matter what it is, can turn on one comment - as this one did with one comment that someone put up a UVF flag.

None of the discussion about the distasteful display made by some in the name of a 'tribute' detracts from the fact that it is indeed a tragic waste of a young life - as I said myself in posts which also discussed the 'tribute' scene.

I make no apology for discussing it while absolutely agreeing that the incident is tragic.

Hillsborough was tragic, there was lots of discussion about aspects surrounding the tragedy itself. This is in the same vein.

That's forums for you though. The original topic of a thread, no matter what it is, can turn on one comment - as this one did with one comment that someone put up a UVF flag.

None of the discussion about the distasteful display made by some in the name of a 'tribute' detracts from the fact that it is indeed a tragic waste of a young life - as I said myself in posts which also discussed the 'tribute' scene.

I make no apology for discussing it while absolutely agreeing that the incident is tragic.

Hillsborough was tragic, there was lots of discussion about aspects surrounding the tragedy itself. This is in the same vein.

Good god. thumbdown.gif

I despair.

Edited by faraway saint

Oh for god sake.

Good god. :thumbsdown

The main thrust of the distraction in this wee interweb stramash is the introduction of religious bigotry to what should be a simple act of humanity -transient memorial.

I can see where Poz and others have come from. What possible relevance to the dead boy and his family can one specific, exclusive route to a god have?

Let it lie...

...or as HSS perhaps more accurately reflected, "I despair...".

The main thrust of the distraction in this wee interweb stramash is the introduction of religious bigotry to what should be a simple act of humanity -transient memorial.

I can see where Poz and others have come from. What possible relevance to the dead boy and his family can one specific, exclusive route to a god have?

Let it lie...

^^^^ This. Exactly this. Nailed it.

Oh for god sake.

What's your problem with what I posted? After the Hillsborough tragedy there was much anger and debate about the press reaction (The Sun), the role of the police, the fact that Forest (with far fewer fans) were allocated bigger stands, the fencing, the general layout of Hillsborough, the 'drunken' hordes of Liverpool fans, the gates being flung open to let a rush of fans flood in, no stewards ushering fans to the two end pens.... Etc, etc.

All discussed while 96 people were dead and families were in shock and grief.

One unsavoury aspect following this tragic incident was discussed too. I genuinely don't get your reaction. I do agree it is time to let it lie, but I really don't see it as being any way disrespectful to the victim or his family. I guess that every time I drive past this loyalist paramilitary shite I'll just need to accept it.

Let it lie...

^^^^ This. Exactly this. Nailed it.

What's your problem with what I posted? After the Hillsborough tragedy there was much anger and debate about the press reaction (The Sun), the role of the police, the fact that Forest (with far fewer fans) were allocated bigger stands, the fencing, the general layout of Hillsborough, the 'drunken' hordes of Liverpool fans, the gates being flung open to let a rush of fans flood in, no stewards ushering fans to the two end pens.... Etc, etc.

All discussed while 96 people were dead and families were in shock and grief.

One unsavoury aspect following this tragic incident was discussed too. I genuinely don't get your reaction. I do agree it is time to let it lie, but I really don't see it as being any way disrespectful to the victim or his family. I guess that every time I drive past this loyalist paramilitary shite I'll just need to accept it.

Would be funny if..............................

Good, drove by it last night and had to take a double take when I seen the UVF paraphernalia. Whoever thought it was appropriate to leave that at the scene of a young mans death really needs their head examined.

As for the crash itself, it's lucky that no innocent victims were involved. That's a residential area with a lot of kids and people walking around, especially at that time on a Saturday morning. Had the young man taken out a family as he crashed at high speed then I don't think he'd be getting as much sympathy.

The driver was involved in a drag race with his pal when he lost control. He very narrowly missed a father out for a walk with his young children. He also leaves behind a young child of his own. And yet it just won't serve as a lesson to anyone else as the 'it won't happen to me' mentality prevails. I'm sure Conor thought that too ... Tragic!

• 3 weeks later...

Indeed, nice of you in your "ivory tower" to decide what's right and what's not.

If these people decide that's what they feel right, well, it's their reaction to a tragedy.

Will it upset me and get me getting all angry, like your recent rants about almost everything, nah.

I disagree, if that's different from your view, I'm ok with that.

PS Peoples choice, if it's legal, is allowed, as far as I'm aware.

If I don't like it, I'm sure they really don't care.

PPS I also said the "focus" was turning the thread into an OF thread by some, rather that the fact a young person had been killed.

I think you are calling this wrong bud.

The good news is that no innocent people were killed by this f**king maniac's driving.

Seems there was another incident yesterday morning . There was a strong police presence at Fergusson St and today , I see there are some floral tributes at the site. .

A 26 year old female fell out a 1st floor window.

There was a photo on the Scottish News section of the BBC website about an hour ago of what was left of a car in which a 21yr.old died yesterday right outside Johnstone High School. What a mess. The photo and even the article seem to have disappeared now. Not sure why. I've rarely seen so much damage and really it would have been surprising if anyone in the front seats survived. Not trying to prejudge what happened but it would appear that the car was probably going at high speed. I haven't been on that road for a few years but I think it used to be a 30 zone there. In any event, a tragic end to a young life.

Shame someone so young has lost his life.

It's difficult to tell what make of car he was driving.

Shame.

I think you are calling this wrong bud.

The good news is that no innocent people were killed by this f**king maniac's driving.

Exactly just 200 yards away there were kids 60 kids playing each hour at the sports hub. If one team had parked across the road as parking is a nightmare and was in the process of crossing the road it could have been a massacre as It was said that he was doing around 100mph. As for the kerbside that is something for the council to deal with.