Led Zeppelin Remasters

pozbaird

I'm a huge fan, but come on... The albums came out on CD ages ago, rushed out, and were crap. Then years passed with talk of Jimmy Page wanting to do them properly, and nothing happened. Then it did happen, and they sounded great. Having avoided the original crap CDs I bought all the remastered CDs and love them. Now they have all been 're re re mastered' - and I'll now paraphrase but you get the idea...

CD with original artwork

Double CD with original and new artwork

Double CD with artwork, booklet, and bonus tracks

Double CD with bonus live album

Double CD in 'super duper audiophile standard sound'

Double CD with all of the above and one of Jimmy Page's baw' hairs.

180gm vinyl....

and off we go again.

Here's my take on it. Clears throat.... Fcuk off.

Completely understand where you are coming from. Bought loads of cd's in the 80"s only for nearly everyone to come out remastered The only original cd I bought that sound better than the remaster was Quincy.Junes the Dude.few years ago changed to a streamer with a double Naz hard drive which gives you back up copies should anything go wrong. Have bought the Led Zeppelin vinyl box set which sounds great but for sure the music industry is taking the piss.

I'm a huge fan, but come on... The albums came out on CD ages ago, rushed out, and were crap. Then years passed with talk of Jimmy Page wanting to do them properly, and nothing happened. Then it did happen, and they sounded great. Having avoided the original crap CDs I bought all the remastered CDs and love them. Now they have all been 're re re mastered' - and I'll now paraphrase but you get the idea...

CD with original artwork

Double CD with original and new artwork

Double CD with artwork, booklet, and bonus tracks

Double CD with bonus live album

Double CD in 'super duper audiophile standard sound'

Double CD with all of the above and one of Jimmy Page's baw' hairs.

180gm vinyl....

and off we go again.

Here's my take on it. Clears throat.... Fcuk off.

i'm sure it's only because they need the money

It's NAS Network Attached Storage.

This is turn works on physical hardware that will break down or is stolen and needs to be replaced.

Better off with Cloud Storage which will be provided by the broadband or media supplier through internet.

That's the future for music collections.

Until the cloud storage is bought out, or new legislation at some point makes having that format illegal, or some other not positive fate befalls it.

Should go for the "If it's not in three places, it doesn't exist" rule... one copy locally on HD, another on an external HD (ideally it should be stored somewhere offsite when not doing back-ups), and a third copy in the cloud.

With the advent of high speed internet and 4G its only a matter of time that as part of broadband and mobile contracts hi quality streaming will consign CDs to history.

The new media player Pono that Neil Young is behind is the future for audiophiles.

I've stopped buying CDs altogether.

I've also stopped going to gigs because frankly I'm tired of watching numpties videoing the gig on their super duper phone to post on Facebook.

I hear what you're saying and you're probably right. However, I much prefer having the physical item rather than something ethereal. A bit like the Kindle type readers - give me the book, any day. I'm just a neanderthal.

I agree with posters who say high quality digital downloads will likely be 'the future', but someone else mentioned wanting to own a physical object.

There's the thing. I have certain physical objects that are already worth a few bob - the Rush 'Hemispheres' album in red vinyl autographed by the band, a clear vinyl copy of Rainbow's 'Down to Earth' album - and many more. I intend to hand them on to my neice and nephew. I don't need the £75 or whatever it is they are worth, but as the years go by, I can't take them to the grave, so the next generation can have them to either keep or punt - and go have a few beers and a curry on the proceeds, whatever.

How can we do that if Neil Young (for example) actually doesn't release a physical object at all, but simply has 12 new songs floating around on a digital cloud?

The people behind the Zep remasters are simply ripping the pish out of completists... What about Pink Floyd's 'Dark Side of the Moon' too? How many re-jigged versions of that have been released?

Pah. I'm happy with the audio quality of my existing Led Zep initial re-mastered CDs. Won't be spending a penny piece on any of these.

I agree with posters who say high quality digital downloads will likely be 'the future', but someone else mentioned wanting to own a physical object.

There's the thing. I have certain physical objects that are already worth a few bob - the Rush 'Hemispheres' album in red vinyl autographed by the band, a clear vinyl copy of Rainbow's 'Down to Earth' album - and many more. I intend to hand them on to my neice and nephew. I don't need the £75 or whatever it is they are worth, but as the years go by, I can't take them to the grave, so the next generation can have them to either keep or punt - and go have a few beers and a curry on the proceeds, whatever.

How can we do that if Neil Young (for example) actually doesn't release a physical object at all, but simply has 12 new songs floating around on a digital cloud?

The people behind the Zep remasters are simply ripping the pish out of completists... What about Pink Floyd's 'Dark Side of the Moon' too? How many re-jigged versions of that have been released?

Pah. I'm happy with the audio quality of my existing Led Zep initial re-mastered CDs. Won't be spending a penny piece on any of these.

As a format streaming is quite good. On the iPad have a programme called TWONKY where all your albums covers are on one page have a couple of thousand so its great scrolling through with your finger. All albums can be found easily ether by scrolling or touch a letter of the alphabet. When your album comes up touch the cover and the page will reverse with a full screen of the cover with year producer and so on basically you have more information at your finger tips than from a CD. When you pick what you want to play the iPad tell;s the NAS. Also like your iPod you can make endliess playlists Streaming has no moving parts so the sound quality is better than cd. All cd players have an error correction built in because a spinning disk can not be 100% read properly though I understand some take the quality of sound more than others. The other posistive with streaming is the avilability of 24bit and 36bit studio master music , in other words straight from the studio with no loss of quality however you need the right DAC or hifi eqipment that can decode 24/36bit.

Use both streaming and vinyl for me vinyl is still top for playback quality though with streaming digital has taken a big leap over CD for playback.

Edit to add Slash is correct regarding Cloud though have not used it with my own collection as yet.

Edited by Lochwinnoch Saint

I'm in my late 30's so a child of the cd revolution.

My dads first CD player was made by Philips, and is still in full working order.

From what I can remember the first cd's he bought were;

Robert Cray: Bad Influence

Frankie Miller: Dancing in the Rain

vivaldi's Four Seasons

Some Simply Red album for my mum.

Through the 90s I went a bit over the top buying everything I could lay my hands on.

All my music is now backed up to the iCloud. 24000 tracks. It's great, I can stream it through my iPad onto the docking station in the kitchen or through the stereo in the living room.

The majority of the time I have it on shuffle and if something catches my fancy, I'll get the cd out to play in the car, or make up a mix cd for the car.

I'd also recommend the free download of spotify.

Streaming services (I use Deezer) are particularly good for discovering new music. Bands and pieces of music that you wouldn't otherwise hear unless you sought them out are often suggested based on what you listen to routinely, and I have found the Deezer set up very effective in this respect.

In saying that, I listen Radio6 Music regularly and have discovered a great deal of new sounds this way too. I find comfort in the fact that radio still has its place despite technological and cultural advances in the online age.

Edited by Drew

Personally I see the premium services from Deezer, Spotify, Soundcloud etc being provided as bolt-ons to your home broadband and/or mobile contracts.

Music and Video will all be serviced this way.

It is certainly far more affordable to have an all you can eat service on a monthly basis for less than the price of one CD.

And that price will continue to fall which will then be absorbed by the mobile and broadband contracts.

Radio is great. Decades ago I swore I'd never listen to radio stations my parents did. Now I find myself doing exactly that,

f**k auld age!

Virgin TV customers recently got the choice of Netflix or Spotify Premium for free.

I've got the free version of Spotify on my laptop and Deezer on my mobile through my contract with Orange. I've had a few "negotiations" with Orange about data charges connected to Deezer but got all my money back and eventually reached an understanding with them. In my favour, I'm glad to say.

Virgin TV customers recently got the choice of Netflix or Spotify Premium for free.

I've currently got the XL service. Do you reckon I should be elligible for the Spotify deal (we already pay to subscribe to Netflix)?

Guest TPAFKATS

It's my mum and dad who have Virgin and it's the XL package they have. So I'd give them a phone.

I've got xl as well and would be chuffed with premium Spotify for hee haw. What's your mum and dads number?