A Lot Of Rebuilding To Do!

I realise this season hasn't even been settled yet but was just thinking about our squad for next season if we do stay up and it is quite frightening how much it could be disbanded.

It looks like McLean is going and there has been genuine interest from Rotherham in McGinn and naismith. Newton, Campbell, Bahoken (not too bothered about) and Magennis's loans will end and the likes of Kello may not be with us. Then you add the fact that both Thompson and teale will be another year older and closer to retiring and our defence already needs a complete overhaul. So all in all it looks like we will need to build a complete new team from scratch.

I realise this season hasn't even been settled yet but was just thinking about our squad for next season if we do stay up and it is quite frightening how much it could be disbanded.

It looks like McLean is going and there has been genuine interest from Rotherham in McGinn and naismith. Newton, Campbell, Bahoken (not too bothered about) and Magennis's loans will end and the likes of Kello may not be with us. Then you add the fact that both Thompson and teale will be another year older and closer to retiring and our defence already needs a complete overhaul. So all in all it looks like we will need to build a complete new team from scratch.

Next season's relegation thread has started a wee bit early.......

Yes there is a big rebuilding job to be done but I see that as a positive. For whatever reasons this squad of players has under achieved this season and if the likes of Caley can build a new team almost every season and finish in the top 6 then there's nothing to stop us doing something similar.

Yes there is a big rebuilding job to be done but I see that as a positive. For whatever reasons this squad of players has under achieved this season and if the likes of Caley can build a new team almost every season and finish in the top 6 then there's nothing to stop us doing something similar.

A big bag of cash is a reasonable enough reason to stop us?

Rebuilding scares me under the current management.

We effectively tried to rebuild between preseason and January... the players brought in were brought in too late... not for the right positions... and in most cases simply not good enough!

I think it's quite an exciting prospect to look forward to rebuilding St MIrren 's squad for the SPFL next season. Who will manage the team who will come in who will leave ?

I would like to see Thomson and Teale retained, albeit hugely reduced playing time no doubt , but great for younger players. Other than these two and a midfield built around McGinn frankly I' m a bit meh for the rest, a huge overhaul is certainly odds on..............magic !

One tip for whomsoever takes over the team......... fair warning, please go for pace and width in the team, anything else is just limited gash .

But I thought wee Danny had said in the media last week that he wanted to stay as he has laid the foundations of something ?

Sorry Danny you haven't

When only 6 out of the 18 players stripped on Saturday are still under contract for next season then you have laid no foundations year on year at the club

To be fair to Danny the foundations he is talking about is the youngsters that he has brought through this is the future of our club. Kelly, Naismith, Dillo, Cheesy, McLean.

However his signing policy is horrendous this season

Wee bit unfair to target Danny for the contract situation as I believe that Brian Caldwell negotiates the contracts and the Board of Directors sanction the deals.

Jim C.

Danny himself said a few days before the opening match of the season that he hoped the team would peak 3-4 weeks later... thats what he was aiming for!

The board may sanction the deals... but I would say their job should be to back their managers judgement.

Out of interest Jim... how do you rate the pre and mid season signings?

To be fair to Danny the foundations he is talking about is the youngsters that he has brought through this is the future of our club. Kelly, Naismith, Dillo, Cheesy, McLean. However his signing policy is horrendous this season

I agree with the other guys who query how much say Danny has actually had in the last few transfer periods. Most managers nowadays might have a wish list but the board hold the purse strings and dictate what can and can't happen. We've seen posts here regularly from those of us who claim to have insider knowledge or know someone who really knows what's going on. And how often do we hear that clubs of a similar stature to ours can offer a few hundred pounds a week or even more than our best offer? That's hardly Danny's fault, I do at the same time understand the board's situation because they want to sell so why would they splash cash. I think Danny had little choice but to take a few chances with some of the signings because he was under pressure. We've seen the reaction from sections of our fans but there's nothing new in some of our fans simply not giving new signings a chance to bed in. Danny has made mistakes but so far as signings are concerned his hands have been tied.

Nothing will happen until we know what division we are in next season and who our manager will be.

Knowing our luck it will later rather than sooner before this process can begin.

By my reckoning of the current first team squad Dilo Kelly, Naismith, McGinn, McAusland, Reilly & Wylde are contracted beyond the end of this season.

Assuming we're in the SPFL the only out of contract players I'd want to keep are McLean (who's all but certain to go) & Thompson, perhaps Newton assuming his contract with Newcastle is up and he's a free agent.

Not bothered about whether Kello, McGregor or McGowan stay or go although if rumours that McGowan is one of our highest paid players is true then I'd let him go as he's an average bottom six player.

As for the rest van Zanten, Goodwin, Teale, McGennis, Djemba Djemba, Bahoken, Yaqub & any others that I've missed they can all go with varying degrees of good wishes.

Harkins is the tough choice as he'll still be under contract, I'd be inclined to move him on if we can but it'd also be possible to bring him back if McGowan goes - although that would require a new manager.

As we budget to finish a place above the relegation slot then we will only ever be graced with players on a six month or year contract unless their wage demands are low enough to be covered in the Championship.

Having said that, the players we currently have can finish 7th this season which would give the bank account a wee boost for maybe re-signing some of them. Funnily enough that would probably secure Danny a further contract and also give us our best league performance since the early 80's.

punk.gifpunk.gifpunk.gif

Nothing will happen until we know what division we are in next season and who our manager will be.

Knowing our luck it will later rather than sooner before this process can begin.

By my reckoning of the current first team squad Dilo Kelly, Naismith, McGinn, McAusland, Reilly & Wylde are contracted beyond the end of this season.

Assuming we're in the SPFL the only out of contract players I'd want to keep are McLean (who's all but certain to go) & Thompson, perhaps Newton assuming his contract with Newcastle is up and he's a free agent.

Not bothered about whether Kello, McGregor or McGowan stay or go although if rumours that McGowan is one of our highest paid players is true then I'd let him go as he's an average bottom six player.

As for the rest van Zanten, Goodwin, Teale, McGennis, Djemba Djemba, Bahoken, Yaqub & any others that I've missed they can all go with varying degrees of good wishes.

Harkins is the tough choice as he'll still be under contract, I'd be inclined to move him on if we can but it'd also be possible to bring him back if McGowan goes - although that would require a new manager.

Agree with most of this but I reckon Teale has another good season in him and I would keep Goodwin although not play him every week. I would also keep Mcgregor but we need to sign another CB, keep Mcgowan and Kello unless their wage demands are unreasonable. Keep Newton if we can get him on a free.

The most important ones to keep are Mclean and Mcginn, we could build a good team around them. We should play those 2 in the middle and have Teale and Wylde wide (assuming they can play consistantly close to what they're capable off) with Thompson up front and Mcgowan/Harkins playing off him or sign someone better.

Keep the two young full backs and sign a CB (possibly 2).

Not a bad team and a lot of young players, a half decent manager should be able to fight for top 6 with this team.

Edited by irvine_buddie

As we budget to finish a place above the relegation slot then we will only ever be graced with players on a six month or year contract unless their wage demands are low enough to be covered in the Championship.

Having said that, the players we currently have can finish 7th this season which would give the bank account a wee boost for maybe re-signing some of them. Funnily enough that would probably secure Danny a further contract and also give us our best league performance since the early 80's.

punk.gifpunk.gifpunk.gif

Season 1985-86, in fact. Funnily enough, this sprung to mind after last night and were it to happen would be fúcking hilarious. :)

Like any spl manager, their hands are tied by their budget. The bottom line is that the manager picks the players he wants and will fit within his budget

Brian Caldwell will probably do the majority of the contract negotiations but there is no way he will pick the players

That is the mangers responsibility and that is where the current manager has made a bit of a mess of things.

Some very decent players in the squad but the squad as a whole is misbalanced especially defensively

I agree with the other guys who query how much say Danny has actually had in the last few transfer periods. Most managers nowadays might have a wish list but the board hold the purse strings and dictate what can and can't happen. We've seen posts here regularly from those of us who claim to have insider knowledge or know someone who really knows what's going on. And how often do we hear that clubs of a similar stature to ours can offer a few hundred pounds a week or even more than our best offer? That's hardly Danny's fault, I do at the same time understand the board's situation because they want to sell so why would they splash cash. I think Danny had little choice but to take a few chances with some of the signings because he was under pressure. We've seen the reaction from sections of our fans but there's nothing new in some of our fans simply not giving new signings a chance to bed in. Danny has made mistakes but so far as signings are concerned his hands have been tied.

Not sure I buy this. Appreciate what you are saying re: the budget DL has had available but his approach and handling of signings has been quite frankly embarrassing;

He proclaims that Bahoken is "the one we have been waiting for". In reality the guy was rank. What did we see before we signed him, a 20sec YouTube clip?

He openly pursues Campbell for over a year and talks him up at every opportunity. He then signs, scores a few goals and then he gets left on the bench for weeks on end getting splinters in his arse whilst the team continue to lose!

He signs a clearly unfit Djemba Djemba, states that he is "possibly the biggest signing in our history" and then benches him after a couple of games (meaning he can't get match fit).

At the same time managers with similar budgets are making good, effective signings (Taylor to Partick, Iwelumo to St J).

You couldn't make it up!