Thommohawk's New Deal

Brilliant news. thumbup2.gif

Hope he doesn't read this forum, he'll find out he's always tired and too old for another season. laugh.png

it is indeed brilliant news.

Your second comment however is typically crass - the theories behind squad rotation are well known and indeed Lennon has done it this season resting Naismith & Kelly for the Cup replay against QotS and last season with Thompson resting him in certain league games between the LC semi-final & final. We'll never know how much better Thompson & Saints would have done this season had Lennon been a competent manager - to quote HHiBSS f**king hilarious. laugh.png

Brilliant news. thumbup2.gif

Hope he doesn't read this forum, he'll find out he's always tired and too old for another season. laugh.png

If whoever is in charge next season can actually sign competent back up/support, then it will make his job a lot easier.

Someone in the mould of MaGennis, but who can score some goals and pass the ball to his team mates.

Edited by FTOF

it is indeed brilliant news.

Your second comment however is typically crass - the theories behind squad rotation are well known and indeed Lennon has done it this season resting Naismith & Kelly for the Cup replay against QotS and last season with Thompson resting him in certain league games between the LC semi-final & final. We'll never know how much better Thompson & Saints would have done this season had Lennon been a competent manager - to quote HHiBSS f**king hilarious. laugh.png

Hilarious. laugh.png

So, are you saying Lennon showed he was competent by resting Naismith & Kelly this season and was also competent last season yet, when it suits your long running, and tiresome, agenda he's incompetent? 1eye.gif1eye.gif1eye.gif

Couldnae make it up. bye1.gif

PS Let's leave Lennon out of this thread, there are plenty of threads to post your views on this particular subject.

Edited by faraway saint

Hilarious. laugh.png

So, are you saying Lennon showed he was competent by resting Naismith & Kelly this season and was also competent last season yet, when it suits your long running, and tiresome, agenda he's incompetent? 1eye.gif1eye.gif1eye.gif

Couldnae make it up. bye1.gif

No I'm saying Lennon handling of Thompson is incompetent because it's true.

Didnae have to make anything up - if you can offer an explanation other than incompetence please do so. A further example of Lennon's incompetence is that with the departure of Grainger in January we have no alternative to Kelly at LB - at a stroke removing any competition for a second squad player.

Pots & kettles! 1eye.gifbye1.gif

Edited by Bud the Baker

I doubt it would automatically trigger a 1yr extension, more likely the club are obliged to offer another 1yr contract. Whether Thommo takes up that offer or not is another question.

Thommo, please accept that offer!

I suppose that may well be the case.

It doesn't say he's been "offered" a contract, but that he has "got" a contract extension and that the "new deal has been triggered", as a result of his signing last year's contract extension.

It also doesn't mention any "options" linked to the contract.

Although to be fair, the text of the article is a combination of PDE journalism and quotes from DL, so maybe we shouldn't expect it to make much sense.

I suppose that may well be the case.

It doesn't say he's been "offered" a contract, but that he has "got" a contract extension and that the "new deal has been triggered", as a result of his signing last year's contract extension.

It also doesn't mention any "options" led to the contract.

Although to be fair, the text of the article is a combination of PDE journalism and quotes from DL, so maybe we shouldn't expect it to make much sense.

Hopefully a new 1yr deal is in place.

Whatever the actual details of the clause, the reason why in doubt it is automatic is because such clauses should favour of the player. If 25 appearances automatically triggered an extension, then the player could be tied to a club against his wishes purely on the basis of the managers team selection the season before.

If the club are obliged to offer a contract, then the player retains control of the situation. He can look for another club or accept the contract and guarantee his income for another year.

Hopefully Thommo feels he can last another season. I think he will need to be used more sparingly if he was to play on. He was nearly completely burnt out at certain points this season.

He is still scoring goals and looks in great shape.

I'm assuming Lee Mair had one of these in his contract? Hence the lack of game time? Pretty sure he triggered an extension after playing a certain amount of games a couple of years ago.

Hopefully a new 1yr deal is in place.

Whatever the actual details of the clause, the reason why in doubt it is automatic is because such clauses should favour of the player. If 25 appearances automatically triggered an extension, then the player could be tied to a club against his wishes purely on the basis of the managers team selection the season before.

If the club are obliged to offer a contract, then the player retains control of the situation. He can look for another club or accept the contract and guarantee his income for another year.

I don't doubt your reasoning.

Maybe, I was suffering from a rare spell of optimism.

Anyway, I'm sure we'll find out soon enough, unless of course he's got a get out clause if we get relegated.whistling.gif

It's all about finding a system to use his strengths instead the lone figure chasing aimless punts is the problem

Thommo should able to like Brewster who played on forever it seemed

Hugh Keevins said the other night"Steven Thompson is St Mirren at the moment"

Should stick to being a box player with Teale and Wilde feeding him with the ball.

Running all the place is exhausting him.

Great news.

He is your archetypal 15-20 goal a season man at this level, which we have seen in each of his 3 seasons with us. As we well know, these players are hard to find.

Remarkably, for a player his age he's never had a serious injury in his time here. I think he has at least 2 more seasons in him at this level, and I hope he thinks that too.

We need to get someone in next year to take the load off him though. I know it was meant to be Bahoken this year, and that hasn't worked. Next year we need an experienced back up to give Thommo a rest. It will be better for us and him if he isn't forced into playing 90 minutes virtually every week.

Thommo won't leave.

Assistant manager role beckons....

ETA - should qualify that by saying that it is baseless speculation, and unlikely to happen until he stops playing.

I reckon he should link in with some other party and buy the club. It would be only fitting, and in line with a Roy of the Rovers type story.

Go on big guy, you know it makes sense....

Edited by Drew

Great news.

He is your archetypal 15-20 goal a season man at this level,

He's also a "donkey"; it just depends which attendee of Greenhill Road you speak to and at what time in the season.......

Thommo won't leave.

ETA - should qualify that by saying that it is baseless speculation, and unlikely to happen until he stops playing.

I reckon he should link in with some other party and buy the club. It would be only fitting, and in line with a Roy of the Rovers type story.

Thompson isn't interested in management, he's got his budding media career more in mind. Fuds that want Danny Lennon punted & big Thommo to take over should realise this then headbutt a brick wall until their arses bleed.

Thommo won't leave.

I'm sure if both Thompson and Teale wanted to they could russel up there spare change and buy the club no bother if they wanted to, we can but dream.

He's also a "donkey"; it just depends which attendee of Greenhill Road you speak to and at what time in the season.......

Thompson isn't interested in management, he's got his budding media career more in mind. Fuds that want Danny Lennon punted & big Thommo to take over should realise this then headbutt a brick wall until their arses bleed.

I have always been against any notion of Thompson taking over the management role. It is a nonsensical notion, and wouldn't work, IMO.

That said, I would wonder why he took his badges if he has no interest in management in the future. I don't think it is too far-fetched, but should not happen until he stops playing and he should cut his teeth in the same way that all young managers should - ie: lower leagues or an asst berth.

Edited by Drew

I have always been against any notion of Thompson taking over the management role. It is a nonsensical notion, and wouldn't work, IMO.

That said, I would wonder why he took his badges if he has no interest in management in the future. I don't think it is too far-fetched, but should not happen until he stops playing and he should cut his teeth in the same way that all young managers should - ie: lower leagues or an asst berth.

Well, that I can't answer but personally I'd reckon it may be for either a back up for his post-playing career or in case he feels like giving it a go later in life once he's more distanced from playing.