Foodbank Collection - St Mirren Park, 19Th April

Tennant's Lager

Shared on SMiSA.net, details taken from the St Mirren Official Website :)

A week on Saturday St Mirren fans will come together at St Mirren Park to back Saints in their opening post-split Premiership match-up with Hibernian which is sure to be quite a battle. But we are also wanting to help in another battle and that is in the growing fight against hunger within our communities.

Over the last few years the hardship that many of us face has grown as families are finding it harder to put food on the table but thankfully the growth of Foodbanks has been helping that battle and at St Mirren FC, as a community club, we want to play our part in that battle and we’re asking our fans to join us.

On Saturday 19th April between 2:00pm and 3:00pm, St Mirren Park will act as a collection point for food donations for the Renfrewshire Foodbank.

Members of the St Mirren Fan’s Council, ‘Street Stuff’ Volunteers and members of the St Mirren FC Community Trust will be looking to collect your donations for Renfrewshire’s Foodbank at St Mirren Park on Saturday 19th April between 2 and 3pm. If you can bring any of the following types of items (foodstuff that won’t spoil) the volunteers will be delighted to collect it!

• Milk (UHT or powdered)

• Sugar

• Fruit juice (carton)

• Soup

• Pasta sauces

• Sponge pudding (tinned)

• Tomatoes (tinned)

• Cereals

• Rice pudding (tinned)

• Tea Bags/instant coffee

• Instant mash potato

• Rice/pasta

• Tinned meat/fish

• Tinned fruit

• Jam

• Biscuits or snack bars

The volunteers will make themselves known to you and all Fan’s Council members will have ID badges approved by the club.

The collection points will be as follows:
  • South Stand – Middle between Turnstile 7-8 and 9-10
  • West Stand – Beside the West Stand Ticket office between Turnstiles 11-14 and 15-16
  • Main Stand – Two collection points beside the Ticket Uplift Window for Turnstiles 1-3 and Hospitality Entrance for Turnstiles 4-6
Renfrewshire Foodbank is part of the Trussell Trust Foodbanks. It provides emergency food to local people in crisis. It provides a minimum of 3 days food to those in need. People in Britain face hunger from time to time for a variety of reasons from Debt to Benefit delays to the new Welfare Reform stipulations. Renfrewshire Foodbank seeks to deal with the immediate crisis of food provision and go on from there to listen to the person and establish the root cause of the issue. We then signpost clients to agencies best placed to deal with the root cause. this prevents a dependency culture building up and in turn restores dignity and revives hope to those in need. Trussell Trust Foodbanks like Renfrewshire's work closely with other agencies to this ends. These agencies also hold food vouchers to issue to clients, therefore ensuring that the most in need benefit from the service.

out of curiosity does anyone know how they assess who can get from a foodbank, don't know much about them. Remember seeing a thing on the news a while back about a type of supermarket that had opened down south - food much cheaper and seemed to be some debate that folk could use it even if not 'entitled' to as such.

out of curiosity does anyone know how they assess who can get from a foodbank, don't know much about them. Remember seeing a thing on the news a while back about a type of supermarket that had opened down south - food much cheaper and seemed to be some debate that folk could use it even if not 'entitled' to as such.

well since the abolition of "crisis loans" by the tories foodbanks have become busier, in the main you need to apply to your local council crisis team and be issued vouchers to go to the foodbank, and you are limited in what you get and how often you can be given vouchers,

the money set aside for crisis loans was made available to councils (dont know if all of it is given out to them though), i dont really see why they have to beg for tins of food - the social fund money given to councils should be enough to provide food, the trussell trust who run the foodbanks operate as a charity and just like every charity a vast amount of donations they get do not go where you think they do. paisley food bank is run by a church in broomlands street, most trussell trust foodbanks are in church halls, trussell trust also operate in bulgaria where they in fact started up so your food tins could be going to bulgaria,

Some of the statements on this forum are at best "ill-informed."

Take a look around you! This is one of the richest countries in the world. and, while, YES, there are a lot of wasters, THIS is what Paisley & Scotland are reduced to - the mere fact we are having this discussion,,,,,,,,,,

To use the "Bulgarian" line was insensitive.

This is BUDDIES / Scots - wake up & smell the coffee - (If you can afford it!)

Some of the statements on this forum are at best "ill-informed."

Take a look around you! This is one of the richest countries in the world. and, while, YES, there are a lot of wasters, THIS is what Paisley & Scotland are reduced to - the mere fact we are having this discussion,,,,,,,,,,

To use the "Bulgarian" line was insensitive.

This is BUDDIES / Scots - wake up & smell the coffee - (If you can afford it!)

dont get what you find insensitive, read the trussell trust website - i did, thats where i found they operate in bulgaria,and thats where they started, tell me why what i stated is insensitive and ill-informed, its all on their website and as part of my job i have to direct people on how to get access to foodbanks, so i'm not ill-informed i am in fact well informed on the subject,

Okay - fair comments!!

There are many locals that have to seek help - this is not a case of "lets laugh at the poor folk"

Without getting political, is this a status of our rich country we should sit back & accept it is a fact of modern society?

You were inferring that a tin of cheap soup at the match, might end up in Sofia!

well since the abolition of "crisis loans" by the tories foodbanks have become busier, in the main you need to apply to your local council crisis team and be issued vouchers to go to the foodbank, and you are limited in what you get and how often you can be given vouchers,

the money set aside for crisis loans was made available to councils (dont know if all of it is given out to them though), i dont really see why they have to beg for tins of food - the social fund money given to councils should be enough to provide food, the trussell trust who run the foodbanks operate as a charity and just like every charity a vast amount of donations they get do not go where you think they do. paisley food bank is run by a church in broomlands street, most trussell trust foodbanks are in church halls, trussell trust also operate in bulgaria where they in fact started up so your food tins could be going to bulgaria,

Folowing this post, I went to the Trussell Trust website and, struggle as I might, I could find no reference to the provision of food banks in Bulgaria nor to the transport of food from the UK to Bulgaria. I think that anyone who contibutes to the collection at Greenhill Road can be reassured that that their contributions will be used locally.

Okay - fair comments!!

There are many locals that have to seek help - this is not a case of "lets laugh at the poor folk"

Without getting political, is this a status of our rich country we should sit back & accept it is a fact of modern society?

You were inferring that a tin of cheap soup at the match, might end up in Sofia!

you are adding in the word "cheap" for what reason ? i admit i have no proof that any "tins of food" will end up in bulgaria and even if they did i have not said it is a bad thing, what i am inferring is that the collection is by trussell trust and as they are not confined to local outlets then what is donated may not go to local needy people. I do appologise for saying they might go to bulgaria, and accept this is unlikely

Who said it had anything to do with laughing at poor folk, apart from you ?

Folowing this post, I went to the Trussell Trust website and, struggle as I might, I could find no reference to the provision of food banks in Bulgaria nor to the transport of food from the UK to Bulgaria. I think that anyone who contibutes to the collection at Greenhill Road can be reassured that that their contributions will be used locally.

see my previous post, i appologise for inferring food would go to bulgaria as i have no proof of that

How does a good thing turn into a row???

happens all the time, we all read the same posts but can interpret them differently, i am not rowing just explaining, miss saint asked how one could access foodbanks - i answered and went on to add info on Trussell trust, added a bit about them operating in bulgaria and without any real knowledge stated that food collected here could go there, i accept i was wrong on that and appologised.

iit's not a row

Dumbarton FC held a similar initiative a couple of weeks back

I agree that it is a shocking state of affairs that people have to rely on food banks, but while this is the case, I applaud those who are doing their bit to help out.

I have a memory like a sieve, so have stuck a reminder on the phone's calendar to take a few bits and pieces along on Saturday.

happens all the time, we all read the same posts but can interpret them differently, i am not rowing just explaining, miss saint asked how one could access foodbanks - i answered and went on to add info on Trussell trust, added a bit about them operating in bulgaria and without any real knowledge stated that food collected here could go there, i accept i was wrong on that and appologised.

iit's not a row

Fair play to you for having the balls to openly admit you were wrong & to apologise!

To use my quote of "cheap soup" - I wasn't inferring it should be "smartprice" rather than "Heinz" - merely the fact that a tin of soup costs 50p-ish

For the fact that people in this country have to even ASK for same says a lot about modern day Britain!

Think of THAT on September 18

downing-street.jpg

Fair play to you for having the balls to openly admit you were wrong & to apologise!

To use my quote of "cheap soup" - I wasn't inferring it should be "smartprice" rather than "Heinz" - merely the fact that a tin of soup costs 50p-ish

For the fact that people in this country have to even ASK for same says a lot about modern day Britain!

Think of THAT on September 18

downing-street.jpg

How dare you post a picture of my recent delivery. whistling.gif

PS I'm having a very nice life, thanks for trying to have me change it. clap.gif

food banks are NOT a "good thing - that was the point!

Food banks ARE a good thing though - it's the reason they have to exist that isn't good.

I know you kind of said this earlier in the thread, but it's a subtle yet important distinction to make.

I for one am glad that if, as an example, a serious domestic abuse victim leaves the family home at short notice, possibly with children, that for at least a few days whilst other arrangements are made they have a service like this that they might be able to rely upon.

this thread doesn't,t half show up the people who scour forums in the hope that something, anything will offend them!

should we just accept everything that is done in the name of charity, and never question where, what and who is involved?

given the recent revelation that Comic Relief funds were invested in the Arms and Tobacco industry should we not be a. Bit more vigilant than a dumb sevconian waiting to be ridden round Govan for their ST money again?

I for one am glad that if, as an example, a serious domestic abuse victim leaves the family home at short notice, possibly with children, that for at least a few days whilst other arrangements are made they have a service like this that they might be able to rely upon.

ZA, no disrespect to You, But Ffs open your eye's ? I Think Social Work Dept would take care of this scenario ? Most recipients of handouts from food banks are people who have been sanctioned by DWP .

ZA, no disrespect to You, But Ffs open your eye's ? I Think Social Work Dept would take care of this scenario ? Most recipients of handouts from food banks are people who have been sanctioned by DWP .

Sorry - I should have qualified my previous quote, been 'pompous' as others have said in the past and declared that I'm in charge of the area of victimology where I work, and deal with research into various victims' groups. So no, I don't need to open my eyes, others do.

Sorry - I should have qualified my previous quote, been 'pompous' as others have said in the past and declared that I'm in charge of the area of victimology where I work, and deal with research into various victims' groups. So no, I don't need to open my eyes, others do.

I tell you what, my visit to the opticians yesterday was a real eye opener