Worst Detour Whilst Drunk

Happy Buddie

I worked with a guy years ago, who lived in Kilmarnock. After getting pished on a night out in Glasgow, he got on the train at Central, fell asleep and woke up in Carlisle. No traisn coming up that night so he had to sleep in the station overnight there, then back up on the first train in the morning. Anyone been more "adventurous" than that?

Not personally but long, long ago an old mate was working as a spark for Kilpatricks and to finish a job in Cumbernauld he did three 12 hour days, finishing at 8pm on the Saturday night. He got a lift back into Glasgow, had a couple of pints with his workmates, bought some cans and a double double of Bells (remember it was the early 70's) and downed a couple of cans waiting on the train. He got on the Ayr train around 10pm and a guy woke him in Prestwick and asked him where he was wanting off. When he said Paisley the chap advised him to stay on till Ayr, get off there, and get the last train back up to Paisley. While waiting for the last train back he scoffed the double double as he was getting a bit chilly. He then got on the train and a cleaner woke him at 4am in a siding outside Central Station. He swore off the drink then but the funny fags he started on didn't do him much good either!!

I fell asleep in a car once on the way to Kilmarnock... I woke up in Moscow!

Does that count?

Nothing, at least that's the same continent, my mate was driving me to Durham, we both had some coke in Carlisle, when I woke up we were in Quebec.

Edited by Happy Buddie

Something similar happened to me Friday night, I was meant to get the number 9 bus from Glasgow to the Aldi on Paisley Road West and then walk home from there. I fell asleep and the driver woke me up in Linwood, then I had to wait half an hour for a taxi which cost me nearly £20 bangin.gif

A guy I worked with offshore lived in Methil. One night he was on a night out with the lads and fell asleep (pished) on a train and woke up in Edinburgh. When he got off in Edinburgh he thought, "f**k it, I've come this far, I might as well go to Ireland". Don't ask me the timescales of how he got there so late at night, but I do know he was in Cork for 3 days before he thought about phoning the wife.

Wonder if he's still married?

Not so long ago was out with my brother in Paisley , the taxi rank was busy so thought I would walk and flag one down. Ended up walking to Lochwinnoch have done that twice and can confirm its quite a walk. smile.png

Aye , it will be over 9miles possibly 10miles. .

I would imagine you'd be pretty sober by the time you got home. .

after an afternoon at the Famous 3 Kings in West Kensington with The London Saints watching a St Mirren match {St Mirren v Celtic when Graveson scored a hatrick}

it took me 9 trains to get home instead of the usual 3 because I had to keep taking detours as I had poisoned myself with the drink that day.

Whilst a student, I had been out in Glasgow, and woke up on a flat roof somewhere in the early hours. I had to scale a high fence to get out to the street. Perhaps more worryingly, I still have no idea where I was, or how I got home.

Dearie me, I must only have a couple of my nine lives left at best....

Some of you will be old enough to remember back in the 70's when it almost seemed like half the guys in Paisley were working on rigs in the North Sea. Typically it was a fortnight off and then a fortnight on. There was a strictly no alcohol rule on rigs and most of the guys hit the pubs in Aberdeen as soon as their helicopter touched down. I often heard that after the fortnight off bevy, a lot of the guys got pissed quite easily. A mate of mine who shall be nameless got so drunk that he stayed in Aberdeen for a week on a massive bender. Unfortunately, his wife was waiting for him back in Paisley. She was at school with me and she was a big lass. At first she was worried that something had happened to him and then she started worrying in case he didn't come home because she was going to kill him. When he half sobered up, he somehow managed to change shift and got back to his rig a week early rather than go face his wife. A wise move. I never actually heard what happened when she finally got hold of him but I don't think it would have been pretty to watch. I've been married twice and I've no doubt that the former and present Mrs.McD would take a knife to my wedding tackle.

Some of you will be old enough to remember back in the 70's when it almost seemed like half the guys in Paisley were working on rigs in the North Sea. Typically it was a fortnight off and then a fortnight on. There was a strictly no alcohol rule on rigs and most of the guys hit the pubs in Aberdeen as soon as their helicopter touched down. I often heard that after the fortnight off bevy, a lot of the guys got pissed quite easily. A mate of mine who shall be nameless got so drunk that he stayed in Aberdeen for a week on a massive bender. Unfortunately, his wife was waiting for him back in Paisley. She was at school with me and she was a big lass. At first she was worried that something had happened to him and then she started worrying in case he didn't come home because she was going to kill him. When he half sobered up, he somehow managed to change shift and got back to his rig a week early rather than go face his wife. A wise move. I never actually heard what happened when she finally got hold of him but I don't think it would have been pretty to watch. I've been married twice and I've no doubt that the former and present Mrs.McD would take a knife to my wedding tackle.

Only twice? rolleyes.gif

Not so long ago was out with my brother in Paisley , the taxi rank was busy so thought I would walk and flag one down. Ended up walking to Lochwinnoch have done that twice and can confirm its quite a walk. smile.png

I missed the last train (11:30, it was a Wednesday) back from Glasgow to Bishopton, taxi q outside Central like an execution, so feckit, I'll walk. Got home at 5 am, I wasn't think straight (pished) so followed the bus route, into Paisley along Paisley Road, Glasgow Road, Caledonia St, St james interchange, etc. 18 miles. Sair feet for days.

Went to party in Motherwell, one drunken stupor later, and woke up in Liverpool- Continued drinking there, fell asleep against a speaker stack in the Cavern whilst a Beatles tribute act where playing and when a Barmaid tried to wake me and couldnt, she thought I might have been dead