Kilmarnock V St Mirren Top League 7/5/14

shull

Erm, old mistakes like not strengthening the CH position in January coming back to haunt us.

Not really the night for our passing game, should've been more direct although maybe it's no surprise we were less committed than a Killie side coming off a 5-0 defeat and still in the play-off fight but the old chestnut remains - when things are going wrong more often than not Lennon has been unable to alter the game for the better. Maybe it's churlish to criticize Lennon 'cos our good run was obviously gonna come to an end, and it's always disappointing when you hit the earth.

Board meeting today and I'm 50/50 on Lennon, heard SG on the radio last night and I don't know how to call it on the basis of that interview - I wouldn't put up my poker-face against SG's!

As it goes, I suspect that is probably how some of the directors feel too.

I don't think this is a straightforward call by any manner of means. In saying that, reading Gilmour's interview - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27320720 - you have to feel that a but would sit quite nicely between his comments about the positives, and needing to look at the whole picture.

I feel for Danny this morning. Can't be good waiting to find out if you'll have a job after the end of the month.

Edited by Drew

As it goes, I suspect that is probably how some of the directors feel too.

I don't think this is a straightforward call by any manner of means. In saying that, reading Gilmour's interview - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27320720 - you have to feel that a but would sit quite nicely between his comments about the positives, and needing to look at the whole picture.

I feel for Danny this morning. Can't be good waiting to find out if you'll have a job after the end of the month.

If he was on £4.20 an hour i would tend to agree with you

I don't think attitude was our problem last night it was an inability to pick a team and play tactics that suited the conditions. McGregor was attrocious and why he and Cheesey kept trying to control the ball / play it out / cushion clearances in monsoon conditions like that is beyond me.

Continuity in selection is all very well but on a heavy wet pitch in a monsoon we should have adopted a different approach with different personel. Killie kept it simple, cleared their lines, battled in midfield, got it wide and delivered good ball for Boyd. We kept trying to tippy tappy through the middle when the conditions just wouldn't allow it. We looked better after Magennis and Teale were on but it was too late in changing it.

Forecast is another monsoon on Saturday so lets adapt and give a few tired players a rest. Unfortunately we cannot replace the centre backs so they have to just clear their lines first and foremost.

Given DL's fate is being decided in the aftermath of this game that will have done him no good at all.

If he was on £4.20 an hour i would tend to agree with you

He strikes me as a decent bloke, so I don't think it is unreasonable to spare a thought for him, regardless of the fact that he won't be destitute whatever happens.

I don't think attitude was our problem last night it was an inability to pick a team and play tactics that suited the conditions. McGregor was attrocious and why he and Cheesey kept trying to control the ball / play it out / cushion clearances in monsoon conditions like that is beyond me.

Continuity in selection is all very well but on a heavy wet pitch in a monsoon we should have adopted a different approach with different personel. Killie kept it simple, cleared their lines, battled in midfield, got it wide and delivered good ball for Boyd. We kept trying to tippy tappy through the middle when the conditions just wouldn't allow it. We looked better after Magennis and Teale were on but it was too late in changing it.

Forecast is another monsoon on Saturday so lets adapt and give a few tired players a rest. Unfortunately we cannot replace the centre backs so they have to just clear their lines first and foremost.

Given DL's fate is being decided in the aftermath of this game that will have done him no good at all.

Despite the BBC stats showing position in our favour , the highlights don't seem to reflect that. .

I blame that third change strip , we never seem to do well when we play in that strip. .

Get it sorted , Macpherson. .

kkpazUM.gif

Edited by saintnextlifetime

We tried a passing game on a waterlogged pitch and constantly gave the ball away. The central defence require a basic course on 'How to Clear Your Lines'. There was little / no support for Thommo when the occasional ball ended up in the box.

I think last night was a defining moment for DL. Had we won that game and kept the feel-good factor going (and 7th place), with the assured performances of late I think he maybe gave himslef a 50/50 chance of keeping his job. The defeat and the manner of it has reduced his chances significantly in my opinion.

Deary me, what a shambles we were last night. Killie are terrible yet could have humped us.

Wrong team from Danny- should have freshened it up, Wylde deserved a start, Magennis and Teale could have started.

Even when the changes were made they were the wrong ones. Newton had been one of the better mids, McGinn was having a really poor game and stayed on too long.

Oh and and McGregor and McAusland were a comedy duo. McGregor was pathetic in the first half. Short back passes, passed it straight out of play etc. McAusland struggled with Boyd all night and constantly backed off from challenges.

Wylde likes the ball at his feet and to run at defenders-do you think last night was a good one for that kind of play?

I enjoyed the game last night.....probably because we didn't really need a result.Was nice to watch a game in a relaxed manner.We were all over Killie before they scored,think Dillo had only touched the ball a couple of times before picking it out the net.Killie should have been 3 ahead by half time tho,the goal completely changed the game. Our passing was good at times but more often than not we gave the ball away easily.Killie were the hungrier team and got the points which is fair enough.

Great Saints support,almost 1200 for a pretty much meaningless game so well done Buds.What is it tho with the constant singing about the soap dodgers?Do we really care that much about them?

Seen Saints Fans being kettled by police horses outside and felt really sorry for them.......the horses that is!!!

Despite the BBC stats showing position in our favour , the highlights don't seem to reflect that. .

I blame that third change strip , we never seem to do well when we play in that strip. .

Get it sorted , Macpherson. .

kkpazUM.gif

Pretty much how it was - we had most of the ball Killie had most of the chances. The more direct approach was the one needed on the night. Need to have a plan B and the game was crying out for the more direct approach of Magennis, Teale and Wylde long before they were introduced. McGowan and McGinn are no use on a pitch like that and probably shouldn't have started imo.

I think last night was a defining moment for DL. Had we won that game and kept the feel-good factor going (and 7th place), with the assured performances of late I think he maybe gave himslef a 50/50 chance of keeping his job. The defeat and the manner of it has reduced his chances significantly in my opinion.

Totally agree...............a good unbeaten run through the bottom six fixtures culminating in a home win against Hearts would have been very significant imo

Last night might have been a meh game for us in real terms but there have been too many meh games and meh moments with the current team, hot and cold does not get close. I'm afraid our consistant inconsistancy in broad terms, kills off most managers. DL is no better than his predecessors in this regard. Always be grateful to him for our First League cup, no matter what happens , he made history with us.

I think DL's transfer dabblings though will swing the pendulum against him, as his track record is not good, he has been let down here.

Fwiw the Club For Sale sign is preventing any kind of firm decision being made either way......................just please to whom it may concern, do not dare think of getting Kenny Shiels in here if indeed the much respected DL is not awarded a new contract.

dry.png mehhhhh, its been a funny old season tbh

Perhaps so.

Let's be honest, we've had plenty of time to get used to this being our lot.

I don't believe this is true. We should always expect more than that. We've done so in the past and, for the size of the town, we should expect better.

Yeah, some years will be shit ones, and some will be really good. But we should not expect to be perennial strugglers.

If teams the size of Motherwell can sit where they are in the table, pretty regularly too, then there's no reason why we shouldn't be able to do the same.

"I've really got a true understanding now of what this club means for the people of Paisley. It's truly unique. They've got a beautiful mentality that they believe their team should be out there winning, and I love that"

Who said that? Danny Lennon.