New Contract For Lennon - Got To Be 2 Years

See in other threads there is a groundswell of opinion that he should be offered a one year deal. I presume this is a sorta compromise position in response to the recent turnaround which has seen us safe with a couple of games to spare.

The managers position is probably the most important in a football club and I reckon if you have confidence in Lennon then you ought to back a two year deal, a one year deal says you're not really sure and will lead to new Lennon out threads as soon as we have a few bad results and then by Christmas at the latest we'll be going through the whole should he stay or should he go process again.

My option would be to go for a new manager, but if Lennon stays then he should get a two year deal, it's only hearsay but the BoD supposedly took a vote on his future after the Thistle game last August and they have remained quiet on the issue despite Lennon asking for a new contract in December. Throughout all the troubles we've had this season Lennon has acted with dignity and perhaps it's churlish of me to want a new manager but that's my opinion, whatever the outcome thanks for the memories Danny.

Edited by Bud the Baker

With our future in the top division now confirmed I would expect (if any/all of the rumours are true) that we could see a number of important developments in the very near future.

Is St Mirren on the verge of being sold ?

Will we see Swiss Tony and his fellow Toblerone-chompers put pen to paper and seal the deal ? Or is there someone else lurking in the background with money to burn ?

Will it still be DL in the manager's office or is someone else already lined up ?

What about players who will leaving the club ? Who is getting shown the door, who will be offered new contracts ? Who is deciding on new players for next season ? Will we see Harkins back in Paisley or could he stay at Oldham ?

Exciting times, but please get things moving ASAP to get a stable structure in place long before next season's kick-off.

I was calling for Danny's head but we all have to admit the run in has been great. His subs have proved crucial at the right time. Add maybe we could finish in our highest league position in a long time then you also have that national trophy. Also like the fact young ones get a chance under Danny. Some of the signings have been rank but let's be honest here Granger and Harkins looked good signings at the time. Maybe Danny has learned a lot this season in which cause he might be worth keeping.

I am swaying toward the present manager being handed another opportunity and on a 2 year deal for the reasons already highlighted. My opinion has been changed and, now, rechanged. oops.gif

The one thing for sure is the club need to act quickly. What needs done is a review of players and deciding who should be offered future employment.

This CANNOT be done properly if the manager's position is unclear. If he's in, get it sorted. If not? Then identify and formalise an offer for the future incumbent This has to be done as near to now as possible.

Then and only then can the players be chosen and contracts handed out.

We do not want to be chasing our tails as we head for the first training session of 2014-15 as we did in 2013-14.

With our future in the top division now confirmed I would expect (if any/all of the rumours are true) that we could see a number of important developments in the very near future.

Is St Mirren on the verge of being sold ?

Will we see Swiss Tony and his fellow Toblerone-chompers put pen to paper and seal the deal ? Or is there someone else lurking in the background with money to burn ?

Will it still be DL in the manager's office or is someone else already lined up ?

What about players who will leaving the club ? Who is getting shown the door, who will be offered new contracts ? Who is deciding on new players for next season ? Will we see Harkins back in Paisley or could he stay at Oldham ?

Exciting times, but please get things moving ASAP to get a stable structure in place long before next season's kick-off.

Agreed. Whatever happens needs to happen ASAP after Saturday's game so that whoever is in charge can get planning/ signing for next season . We do not want a repeat of what happened last summer

In light of an excellent spell that has redeemed Danny - and his squad - a great deal in my eyes, I wouldn't be at all upset now if he were offered a further two years.

Stability is no bad thing, and if he has put the disastrous signing debacle behind him, I would be relatively confident that he will continue to do a decent job for us.

On reflection, Wylde has been a more than decent capture, and even big Josh has shown that he can be called on to do a job for us. We are already shot of some of the deadwood such as Grainger, and, hopefully, Harkins, who clearly isn't interested in playing for Saints given his petulant digs on Twitter etc.

I would like to witness a clearer vote of confidence in Danny from his senior players and the Board, however. That would reassure me that he has the genuine backing required to kick on. Without this, one has to wonderwhat kind of future he has at the club.

If he leaves, as I have said previously, I will be absolutely delighted for the man - and Tommy Craig - that he will depart with an intact reputation, and, hopefully, a positive future in the game. That is the very least he deserves. He is a club legend for winning a cup, and deserves great credit for backing and nurturing talented kids such as McLean, McGinn, Kelly, and Naismith.

I would also credit Danny for revitalising my seriously flagging enthusiasm for the game. Cheers for that Danny - a thoroughly decent man:

post-1965-0-48071400-1399292275_thumb.pn

Edited by Drew

The decision must be made this week. If his contract isn't being renewed he deserves a standing ovation and lap of honour after our game with Hearts.

I'd go with that, but I think the BoD will want the dust to settle after the final match before making a decision.

It is my opinion that his contract shouldn't be renewed, and I've said that all season. He got too much too badly wrong in the summer, and I don't want us being in that situation again.

However I do appreciate the opinion of those who think he should stay, and I do appreciate the fact that he is a club legend.

During the Hearts commentary yesterday Rob McLean said he asked Danny about his future on Saturday evening. The reply was "ask me again this time next week". May mean nothing, but it would make sense to deal with the manager's contract before everyone disappears on holiday after the last game. I reckon we might hear something end of this week.

Its a difficult one. He certainly made an arse of the squad in the summer. Then there was the Lee Mair stuff. BUT under severe pressure he has delivered and he has done this more than once now. He has the inclination to fanny around with the team too much which may lead to some of th inconsistencies. He stuck with his new signings for too long at the start of the season when it was obvious the bulk of them were poor BUT he then changed it. His first season went this way a bit and there have been issues in most of our league seasons under him. Has he learned from these things? Dunno. Has he delivered what he was asked? Probably, and of course he is one of our rare cup winning managers. The football his teams play when its working tends to be good to watch, and horrible when its not working

I have to admit I havent got a clue what I would do. Like a lot of folk Id tend to hang on to him now and hope he doesnt make the same mistakes again when squad rebuilding. And I like him too, he seems like a really decent chap who gives a shit about the job he is doing. We might do better in the league with a new manager, but thats never certain. One thing that is for certain is that the decision either way needs to be done swiftly as there is a lot that has to be done in the summer.

We need the BoD to make a decision, or if they are selling, to make some sort of announcement that it will be a decision for the new owners. Mind you, as an example of BoD silence, as far as I am aware, the BoD have not used their own club website to even mention the fact that the club's well-known and well-liked merchandising provider has reluctantly decided to part company with the club for a second time.

Not a peep of thanks, not a peep about what they are doing to fill the gaping hole awp's departure will leave. Personally, I would have thought a public vote of thanks on the website should be a given - considering the club's merchandising operation was a fcuking disaster and when we reached a national cup final, awp rode gloriously to the rescue like the sherriff in Blazing Saddles.

Annyway... I have veered way off topic. My personal view on Danny staying is that I now genuinely don't know what to think. I thought poor signing decisions like Caprice, Bahoken, Cornell, Harkins and Grainger would kill him. Allied to crashing out to Queens, throwing away the home Hearts game, the pitiful capitulation at Tannadice, and Danny looking increasingly ill sitting quietly in the dugout. I thought he was a dead man walking...

He's bounced back, and I am genuinely pleased for him as both a manager, and a man.

Good luck to the guy. Maybe continuity and a manager learning from his mistakes is the best thing.

Edited by pozbaird

I don't think we need to go into the reasons why we've all been frustrated, at times, with Lennon over the last couple of seasons, suffice to say there are enough of them and I'll leave it to others to pick over the bones of that.

I simply didn't think he nor his team had it in them to put a run like this together. Under tremendous pressure they have delivered some of their best stuff and it's been a joy to watch. We've still got two games to go and if we manage to achieve our highest league position is a generation, the year after he delivered a national trophy, then I'm not sure what else we, realistically, would expect?

If he does continue it has to be a two year deal. I mentioned this on another thread and Oaksoft made the point that most players have one year deals so why not the manager? I understand the logic but I feel the manager is the bedrock of a football club and sets the tone for everything we do both on and off the field. You want to achieve stability and consistency and that can't be achieved with a manager on a one year deal IMO.

Ultimately the decision will be made by the BOD, taking into account things that few of us have any knowledge of as well the football side but one hopes that it's not something that rumbles on and that we can start the re-building process for next season quickly.

Edited by DLBud

Got my shades on , the amount of 'reverse lights' on this thread is blinding. :P

Less consistency by forum posters than the team over this season.

It's a good idea to have faith , support current managers and players and see where that takes us , leaving the decisions to the people that make them !

The people that repeatedly slagged some fans for supporting the current manager that have now have changed their minds is quite surprising .... You should of just 'believed' what we were telling you :P

A month or two ago, I prophesied that Saints would NOT be relegated.

And also that DL would be safe in his job till season's end, at least.

And I wouldn't mind if he was kept on as Manager (in another thread a couple of months ago, I suggested he may have learnt from his mistakes about what it takes to be an SPFHell manager.)

But I am not yet convinced that Saints WILL finish seventh...

You should of just 'believed' what we were telling you :P

Christ, typical St Mirren. So, you "kept the faith" throughout the season when others faltered a bit. You'd think you'd be happy that the team has done well of late and people are coming around to your way of thinking but no, you've got to take a smart arsed pop at those whose opinion was different to yours. I f**king despair with this board at times.

Oh, and if you're going to be smug at least try to be grammatically correct.

Personally I'm still of the opinion that it's time for a change. Lennon has been a great servant, and like MacPherson, has to be considered a club legend. However, like MacPherson, I still think it's time to give someone else a shot.

I think it's been frustrating under Lennon, there has obviously been some great times, but in a lot of ways I feel we have underachieved. I think what the last few weeks have shown is that many of us were right when we said we should be doing better. We do have better players than the teams around us and for long periods we didn't get the best out of them. Whilst it's great to see a guy like McLean showing what a class act he is, it's frustrating that he'll be doing it at another team next season whilst most of his career at saints was wasted with him playing out of position.

We'll also lose a lot of players this summer, it'll require a fair old rebuilding job, and is that a job best left to Danny? His transfer record hasn't exactly been great.

Next season is going to be tough. There won't be a team in Hearts position, Dundee will be no mugs and the playoff is likely to see us up against the likes of Hearts or Rangers. We really need to get it right from the start. I don't think we can afford these long winless runs that seem to have been a trademark of Lennon's tenure.

That's my opinion though, and I can understand those who want him to stay. I'm glad this last wee run has been so good and he's turned it around. If he does leave it will be with his reputation intact, which he deserves.

Reading between the lines , a direct quote from SG in the press. Winning the last two games "would be a great finish to a reasonably disappointing season from our point of view" !

There lies the reason that Danny's not been offered a new deal !

Reading between the lines , a direct quote from SG in the press. Winning the last two games "would be a great finish to a reasonably disappointing season from our point of view" !

What paper was that in Billy?

I'm not following that, to be honest.

He's hardly going to say that it was a good season (it wasn't), but nor is he stating it was a disaster that would inevitably call for a change of manager. I think you're putting your own spin on this, Billy.

I'm not following that, to be honest.

He's hardly going to say that it was a good season (it wasn't), but nor is he stating it was a disaster that would inevitably call for a change of manager. I think you're putting your own spin on this, Billy.

Wouldn't be like Billy to do that...

Edited by Soctty