New Contract For Lennon - Got To Be 2 Years

Be careful what you wish for

I agree completely. Getting rid of a manager is easy enough but there is absolutely no guarantee that someone better will come along. The crowd baying for Danny to go haven't got a scooby who we can get in his stead. Lex at least tried to come up with a name but personally I think he struggled.

I agree completely. Getting rid of a manager is easy enough but there is absolutely no guarantee that someone better will come along.

With all due respect , you can say that about every managerial change at every club in history ! Sometimes chances need to be taken in an effort to improve !

Just speculating, if the BoD did decide to let DL go and Hibs screw up the play-off, TB out at Easter Road and DL parachuted in ? Wee Danny might shine at championship level.

Doubt Hibs will let Butcher go, another season, at least, and give him a chance to build his own team, irrespective what league they are in.

The majority wanted Danny sacked during the season it's amazing how many fans have done a complete u turn after a few good results against bottom of the table teams.

No they didn't. And black and white army isn't a true reflection of the support either.

The rationale of this argument suggest that the forum IS a reflection of the general support. What criterion do you use to argue otherwise?

With all due respect , you can say that about every managerial change at every club in history ! Sometimes chances need to be taken in an effort to improve !

Exactly.

There is a degree of risk in whatever the club decides to go with.

Do they have faith in whoever replaces Danny to improve on him? Since it appears a large portion of the current squad will leave this summer, do the board have confidence Danny can adequately rebuild after his poor recent transfer windows?

It all involves some form of risk. No managerial appointment, new guy or contact renewal, is risk free.

Edited by JM1

The rationale of this argument suggest that the forum IS a reflection of the general support. What criterion do you use to argue otherwise?

What about the arguement on another thread about giving Lennon a two year deal?

I don't have any empirical evidence to support my claim. But I do not believe that this forum is a fair representation of the Saints support. And, as I said, the majority of threads have around 30-40 core contributors, less than 1% of the home support yesterday.

Unlike the majority I only attend a couple of games a season and rely on Sky and BT Sport to see St Mirren. That said I cannot see any sound argument to replace Danny other than we should do better than other clubs of a similar stature. My own opinion is Danny Lennon is doing a good job with the budget he has. The youth set up is now paying dividends and Danny has given young players the chance to play for the club, let us see how that can continue.

While I agree some of his signings have been poor others have played a great part in the team over the last couple of years. St Mirren are not in the market to pay money and need to make do with players out of contract and loans from other clubs. Only need to look to Spurs that spending £100m on players is not a guarantee of success !

So If Danny goes who next and what expectations do fans have ? From reading the forum over the years we should finish top six and expect a cup triumph on a more regular basis, if only.

Whatever happens I will thank Danny for his time at the club bringing a great day out last year when I got to dance around Hampden with my two sons.

COYS

Unlike the majority I only attend a couple of games a season and rely on Sky and BT Sport to see St Mirren. That said I cannot see any sound argument to replace Danny other than we should do better than other clubs of a similar stature. My own opinion is Danny Lennon is doing a good job with the budget he has. The youth set up is now paying dividends and Danny has given young players the chance to play for the club, let us see how that can continue.

While I agree some of his signings have been poor others have played a great part in the team over the last couple of years. St Mirren are not in the market to pay money and need to make do with players out of contract and loans from other clubs. Only need to look to Spurs that spending £100m on players is not a guarantee of success !

So If Danny goes who next and what expectations do fans have ? From reading the forum over the years we should finish top six and expect a cup triumph on a more regular basis, if only.

Whatever happens I will thank Danny for his time at the club bringing a great day out last year when I got to dance around Hampden with my two sons.

COYS

Sorry how do you know he is doing well with the budget he has? How do you know it isn't a higher budget than st.johnstone, Inverness, Ross county, killie and Partick? Our board gave him money to spend on a fee for Dougie Imrie, not many other clubs are spending on transfer fees in our league, I bet you the club have given Danny a decent budget, higher than you would think.

Sorry how do you know he is doing well with the budget he has? How do you know it isn't a higher budget than st.johnstone, Inverness, Ross county, killie and Partick? Our board gave him money to spend on a fee for Dougie Imrie, not many other clubs are spending on transfer fees in our league, I bet you the club have given Danny a decent budget, higher than you would think.

My opinion on the budget he had, and you are correct I am unaware of any club's budget for players. Though did say clubs of a similar stature, you filled in the gaps. Forgot all about Imrie so stand corrected on that one.

It is my opinion to keep Danny you may think otherwise. That is what makes football great we all believe we can do better than everyone else.

What about the arguement on another thread about giving Lennon a two year deal?

I don't have any empirical evidence to support my claim. But I do not believe that this forum is a fair representation of the Saints support. And, as I said, the majority of threads have around 30-40 core contributors, less than 1% of the home support yesterday.

'Believe' is simply subjective and as you say, you have no empirical basis. In other words, it may not be true . However, whilst I may agree on your figure of 1% or whatever it may be, there is absolutely no reason, evidential or otherwise to suspect that that sample is not a cross section of the St Mirren support as a whole. Why should it not be?

Imrie did not work out. Every player is a gamble. Yes, money spent did not buy success but just think how you would feel if Danny had shelled the £200k on Hibs striker Collins? He scored down south but has failed.

Before a decision is made by the BoD I would like to think they would interview the man and ask Danny why they should offer him a new contract. This would give those that want rid of him a chance to say exactly why and give Danny the chance to convince them that he has learned from his mistakes. To get rid of him without an interview is cowardly and Danny deserves greater respect than that. Please BoD - do the right thing.

Before a decision is made by the BoD I would like to think they would interview the man and ask Danny why they should offer him a new contract. This would give those that want rid of him a chance to say exactly why and give Danny the chance to convince them that he has learned from his mistakes. To get rid of him without an interview is cowardly and Danny deserves greater respect than that. Please BoD - do the right thing.

He already gave the reasons in the press interview...didn't you Danny. I must admit, he wouldn't be the only person interviewed for their own job. I've never heard of only that person being interviewed though.

Please do the right thing and punt him!

You would certainly like to think that before a decision is made, they would want to hear from Danny. As to what mistakes were made last summer, and if he is given a new deal, how he has learnt from those mistakes and how he would approach this summer differently.

'Believe' is simply subjective and as you say, you have no empirical basis. In other words, it may not be true . However, whilst I may agree on your figure of 1% or whatever it may be, there is absolutely no reason, evidential or otherwise to suspect that that sample is not a cross section of the St Mirren support as a whole. Why should it not be?

Ok. So I've spoken to 10 different Saints fans this week and 9 were sat on the fence and 1 wants him out. Is that a fair representation? Who knows.