Danny Lennon - 4 Season League & Cup Report Card

I'd like to see Danny have another season (or half season).

In my opinion I've seen some of the best football St.Mirren have played in a long long time, some really exciting players being brought to the club and some silverware thrown in for good measure. There are few other saints managers that can say they've done same!

If we perform well in the summer transfer window we'll be playing european football in no time!!!!!! clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

This is the situation for us every season, regardless of who is the manager, due to us only being able to offer 1 or 2 yr deals.

Can't expect Danny to deal with out of contract players when he himself is out of contract.

Last season we were in a good position having won the league cup etc.

We released lots of players quite a few of them by choice and brought in the biggest lot of dross ever, so much so we ditched the lot in January all bar Dilo I think.

In January we brought in another load of players all of whom struggled to get a regular start.

Don't get me wrong, I really like Danny however I fear that if we had another summer transfer fiasco like last summer then we could be in serious trouble. It will be a gamble keeping or replacing Danny. I think that the board have been really patient with Danny, more patient than most boards would be. I would be more than happy to go along with whatever they decide is right for the club after all they have got a lot more right than they have wrong. Whatever they decide I'll go along with.

You missed out the one we were waiting for, Bahookie.

Sorry but the biggest gamble would be to give Danny another contract. Look at the mess we are in with the number of players going out the door. I am worried about the state we find ourselves in relation the number of players out of contract. The squad needs an overhaul and could Danny do it? Personally I don't think so.

And how much do you think we blew on 'expensive' loanee Bahoken? I'll happily concede it was a disappointing signing and even if we weren't paying much of his wages it probably still ended up being poor value for us. I doubt if he was a genuinely expensive signing flop however.

And how much do you think we blew on 'expensive' loanee Bahoken? I'll happily concede it was a disappointing signing and even if we weren't paying much of his wages it probably still ended up being poor value for us. I doubt if he was a genuinely expensive signing flop however.

It's not just the poor signings that frustrate me though, you've also got to take account of the pay-offs that have been made. We've definitely spunked a lot of money that could've been better used.

AFAIK, The reasons given for Bahoken's failure was to do with his attitude in training, or not training. The club then found they couldn't dispatch him due to contractual issues.

Thanks for they stats mate. I think it tells a story that he has enjoyed1 maybe 2 years extra on what he should have served.

Lets not forget we were 1 game from 10th this season which without Rangers and a dying Hearts is still quite a poor season.

The signing policy for me is the nail in the coffin. We have a defence that could operate without any issue in div 1 but not the premiership. I cant seem to get it out my head that the reason for this was upstairs influence for obv reasons. Then there is djemba, bahoken, caprice, campbell etc etc.

I would like to think that a team on a par with the like of QOS, Alloa or even M*rt*n could be a good level for Danny to do what he does best. Work with youth and try and teach the passing game. I think he would be an asset to a big club even in the EPL in a youth development role.

Our very poor defence have a better goals against return than all but one of the bottom six.

Edited by stlucifer

I was told from a very reliable source that Cornell and Caprice cost us next to nothing...

A living and travel allowance was all we were paying, may also have been the case with one

or two other loanees, not sure though....

The thing that people seem to forget is we now have a play off place and finishing 11th is no longer an option. Out of the 4 seasons we've had Danny as manager we have twice ended up 11th and would have been in the play off spot. We need to do better than that going forward.

Our very poor defence have a better goals against return than all but one of the bottom six.

Is this meant to be an an interesting factoid or some thinly veiled attempt to defend another year of defensive issues? Are you saying you're comfortable with the defence?

Is this meant to be an an interesting factoid or some thinly veiled attempt to defend another year of defensive issues? Are you saying you're comfortable with the defence?

I am more comfortable with our defence's contribution than those of Hearts, Kilmarnock, Partick or Ross County.

As for Hibs? Not if it meant taking the rest of the dross!whistling.gif

I am more comfortable with our defence's contribution than those of Hearts, Kilmarnock, Partick or Ross County.

As for Hibs? Not if it meant taking the rest of the dross!whistling.gif

The lack of a real leader at the back is one of the main reasons behind our struggles over Lennon's tenure and if we don't improve on that area in the off season we'll continue to struggle, irrespective of how you feel we match up with the other teams.

The lack of a real leader at the back is one of the main reasons behind our struggles over Lennon's tenure and if we don't improve on that area in the off season we'll continue to struggle, irrespective of how you feel we match up with the other teams.

I have also advocated the need for a collossus at the heart of our defence but the present incumbents have slightly exceeded my expectations recently. Cheesey has been more consistent than I anticipated and McGregor, for the most part, has performed as I expected.

It doesn't mean I think improvement is impossible. Just that perspective as far as last season is required.

Edited by stlucifer

Thanks for they stats mate. I think it tells a story that he has enjoyed1 maybe 2 years extra on what he should have served.

Lets not forget we were 1 game from 10th this season which without Rangers and a dying Hearts is still quite a poor season.

The signing policy for me is the nail in the coffin. We have a defence that could operate without any issue in div 1 but not the premiership. I cant seem to get it out my head that the reason for this was upstairs influence for obv reasons. Then there is djemba, bahoken, caprice, campbell etc etc.

I would like to think that a team on a par with the like of QOS, Alloa or even M*rt*n could be a good level for Danny to do what he does best. Work with youth and try and teach the passing game. I think he would be an asset to a big club even in the EPL in a youth development role.

lol.giflol.giflol.gif

Just to keep things fair we were also one game from 7th if you want to play the "what if" game. bye1.gif

You can make a case for saying that had he stayed at the helm then it was obvious that the defence was going to be the key area to strengthen and part 1 of the rebuild for this season had been achieved by DL last season: we ended the situation with Mair and DVZ where if they played x games they got a contract extension by having to freeze the two of them out the starting XI. Barron was released and we paid off Grainger... 4 defenders wages already freed up for next season.