No Decision On Danny For Now

Nah, I don't think any additional incentive is required for finishing 7th. For the players, it is about professional pride, and increasing their stock to earn a new deal or a move elsewhere. For the management team, it is much the same.

Didn't seem to be a lot of that on show last night though...

You're right though there is no excuse for this latest debacle. Should not have happened.

Didn't seem to be a lot of that on show last night though...

True enough. I suppose what I was meaning is that no additional incentive should be required. I think the players were jaded last night, but this latest development is not going to improve matters.

The club had been consistent in that a decision on the managers future would be taken at the end of the season. That was reasonable, accepted by all parties, a classic stance of "Nothing to see here, move along". The media had duly done so, in the main.

What has confused many of us was the timing of the national radio interview last night, and the Chairman inexplicably eluding to a Board meeting today related to the team management. Seems at best naive, at worst a comical own goal. I'm inclined to think it was the sort of error that comes with live interviews.

In all reality today's meeting was probably standard operating practice, a regular Board meeting if you will, which has been interpreted (and we can see why!) as being 'the' meeting to decide the manager future. I would not be surprised if SG's mobile phone was inundated last night with messages from fellow Board members titled "WTF?"

It's a minor fire in the big scale of things, just a shame it was our own petrol and matches.

Absolutely farcical and completely unfair on Danny, the players and fans alike. If they're not going to make a decision until next week then that's bad enough, but don't go on radio telling everyone there'll be a decision tomorrow and then postpone it to next week! Leaves us all in the lurch with no opportunity to say goodbye to a group of players who have served the club well. Players that have no idea whether they're staying or going, could lead to us losing out on them to other clubs who will give them an answer. Not good enough.

The club had been consistent in that a decision on the managers future would be taken at the end of the season. That was reasonable, accepted by all parties, a classic stance of "Nothing to see here, move along". The media had duly done so, in the main.
What has confused many of us was the timing of the national radio interview last night, and the Chairman inexplicably eluding to a Board meeting today related to the team management. Seems at best naive, at worst a comical own goal. I'm inclined to think it was the sort of error that comes with live interviews.
In all reality today's meeting was probably standard operating practice, a regular Board meeting if you will, which has been interpreted (and we can see why!) as being 'the' meeting to decide the manager future. I would not be surprised if SG's mobile phone was inundated last night with messages from fellow Board members titled "WTF?"
It's a minor fire in the big scale of things, just a shame it was our own petrol and matches.

I'm not so sure that it is 'minor', to be honest.

I can't imagine that it will feel minor to the manager and his assistant, or the likes of Jim Goodwin, who has been fretting about the fact that the unresolved issue of the manager's status is impacting on those players who have expiring contracts. He and his colleagues might well resolve to look elsewhere, and who would blame them?

It also makes the club look very foolish indeed. Ths is never a good thing.

Absolutely farcical and completely unfair on Danny, the players and fans alike. If they're not going to make a decision until next week then that's bad enough, but don't go on radio telling everyone there'll be a decision tomorrow and then postpone it to next week! Leaves us all in the lurch with no opportunity to say goodbye to a group of players who have served the club well. Players that have no idea whether they're staying or going, could lead to us losing out on them to other clubs who will give them an answer. Not good enough.

I think he said there would be a discussion, but even that was completely unnecessary and divisive. The very fact that they've issued this statement indicates that they knew there would be (entirely warranted) speculation.

You have to wonder if this crew should be left with the responsiblity of organising a community centre bring and buy sale, never mind a F/T professional football club.

Let's be honest , as fans our opinion on Danny,s ability as a manager has changed on a monthly basis , I suspect the board are no different , and have a very hard decision to make , perhaps by holding the decision back , the board are giving the fans an opportunity to use their voice on whether they want or don,t want Danny as manager next season .

I'm not so sure that it is 'minor', to be honest.

I can't imagine that it will feel minor to the manager and his assistant, or the likes of Jim Goodwin, who has been fretting about the fact that the unresolved issue of the manager's status is impacting on those players who have expiring contracts. He and his colleagues might well resolve to look elsewhere, and who would blame them?

It also makes the club look very foolish indeed. Ths is never a good thing.

Yeah, I respect that Drew, and I'm not meaning to diminish the individual impact to key protagonists by using the term 'minor'. And 100% agree, any adverse publicity is a bad thing. I guess my overriding feeling though is that this has been an error on Stewart's part, nothing more, nothing less, resulting from an ill-timed live interview.

There may well be very valid commercial reasons why he said what he did and why the Board are meeting again next week. If new owners are waiting in the wings, the Board may have been asked to do nothing about renewing player or staff contracts. Maybe not ideal but I'm sure it will come out in the wash.

Might not be what some want to hear but it's understandable. They have a responsibility to make decisions in the best interests of the club.

Whatever decision they make is a big gamble but which is the greater gamble?

I think the support is really split on this, I don't think there is a large majority wanting Danny out and the board need to consider every option they have.

Massive decision and I'm glad in not the one making it. Just hope it doesn't drag on past Monday and we can start planning for next season as we've already lost ground.

Edited by davidg

Yes, but if you cant make a decision today then why meet today? Why not leave it till next week?

To discus the sale perhaps??? Why they said they were meeting in the first place was a poor decision. Just put pressure on themselves to come out with a statement that asks more questions than it answers.

I would imagine a decision was made this morning but not being made public til after the Jambos game.

I don't agree with it if it is the case, but the board must have been discussing the manager's future throughout the season. So it's not a case of 'agenda item 3; manager's contract renewal - er.....we hadn't really thought about that, we'll mull that over and make a decision next week'.

On the subject of Danny and some of the cup winning players leaving, Saturday would be an opportunity to thank them for their efforts and achievements. It's leaves a bad taste to think that guys who have won a national trophy for the club, some of whom have maybe been at the club for many years, will all be allowed to leave quietly without any chance for the fans to express their appreciation en masse.

I have criticised the board before, I believe they put only their interests first and foremost , all we want is clarity and honest dealings with us as supporters and their employees .

To quote from the main prosecutor in the ENRON trail against the directors

"Its so simple ,it's black and white,the shareholders buy a share of stock ,and for that they are not entitled to much but they are entitled to the truth. They are entitled for the officers and employees of the company to put their interests ahead of their own.

They are entitled to honesty ,ladies and gentlemen "

I have criticised the board before, I believe they put only their interests first and foremost , all we want is clarity and honest dealings with us as supporters and their employees .

To quote from the main prosecutor in the ENRON trail against the directors

"Its so simple ,it's black and white,the shareholders buy a share of stock ,and for that they are not entitled to much but they are entitled to the truth. They are entitled for the officers and employees of the company to put their interests ahead of their own.

They are entitled to honesty ,ladies and gentlemen "

The BOD are being very selfish in this . The situation must be resolved if we are to start planning for next season . Another start like last season will make their asset worth even less so it may rebound on them .

Leaving that aside their treatment of Danny verges on cruel and shows them up as a bunch of heartless amateurs .Not the sort of way we want our club to be represented . I wonder how much they have been to blame for this season in putting uncertainties in the way..

Stewart Gilmour on Radio Scotland

"As it so happens, the board are meeting tomorrow and we'll have a full discussion of a number of things of which the manager's position will be a main focal point.

Yeah, I respect that Drew, and I'm not meaning to diminish the individual impact to key protagonists by using the term 'minor'. And 100% agree, any adverse publicity is a bad thing. I guess my overriding feeling though is that this has been an error on Stewart's part, nothing more, nothing less, resulting from an ill-timed live interview.

SG has been Chairman since 1998 IIRC by now he's vastly experienced in dealing with the media, he couldn't have been surprised when the managerial position came up yet he specifically said the this issue was going to be discussed this morning, indeed he went further and said it would be a "main focal point". Even if he didn't mean to respond this way once the genie was out of the bottle the decision should've be made to-day.

There may well be very valid commercial reasons why he said what he did and why the Board are meeting again next week. If new owners are waiting in the wings, the Board may have been asked to do nothing about renewing player or staff contracts. Maybe not ideal but I'm sure it will come out in the wash.

It's over 4½ years since the club was put up for sale, I'd be surprised if any sale went through quickly enough for an incoming BoD to get a new manager settled in time for the close season negotiations. I'd argue the opposite and say that if the club is going to be sold in the next couple of weeks then a "steady as she goes" policy with respect to the manager is the best option.

Edited by Bud the Baker

Might not be what some want to hear but it's understandable. They have a responsibility to make decisions in the best interests of the club.

Whatever decision they make is a big gamble but which is the greater gamble?

I think the support is really split on this, I don't think there is a large majority wanting Danny out and the board need to consider every option they have.

Massive decision and I'm glad in not the one making it. Just hope it doesn't drag on past Monday and we can start planning for next season as we've already lost ground.

Discussing a sale or terms with a new guy taking time are surely the only two reasons for no decision. They must have agreed terms on what to offer Danny by now.

We're now losing ground daily, friendlies won't be arranged and even sponsors could be sitting waiting. Actually, final position could be a third reason for dithering. Sack a man who finishes 7th or 8th and you really make a rod for your own back. Fair enough, they all want their own backs out the club.