No Decision On Danny For Now

That interview on Radio Scotland was really powerful and I found it quite emotional. We are talking about a mans job here... his bread and butter... his means of providing for his family... and yet he has no idea what is happening.

He was given umpteen prompts to criticise the uncertainty... and yet never once took the bait.

He oozed class and dignity throughout that interview and I have nothing but respect for the man. punk.gif

Given the poor transfer record Danny has, finishing in 8th place is decent. He eventually stopped tinkering with the team every week and found a pattern over the last few weeks to get us over the line.

A board who budget for 11th place, get 8th place and also want to sell up are not best placed to make any long reaching decisions.

Another year is deserved, provided lessons of the past season are learned from.

I do not see the point of another apprentice manager being appointed and all the usual suspects of unemployed managers don't inspire either.

Have to agree with everything that others have said - I thought Danny's interview after the game was first class. I've been one of his biggest critics and often questioned his sanity during interviews, but I thought he was absolutely spot on today. Dignified, coherent, genuine and honest. If that is his last interview as St Mirren manager I think it's a very fitting end.

I still don't think he should get a new contract right enough...

I do not see the point of another apprentice manager being appointed and all the usual suspects of unemployed managers don't inspire either.

Div suggesting on twitter it might be Tommy Craig next. Despite being 64 this year he would actually have less experience as a manager than most candidates. Apart from 9 months in Belgium he has always been an assistant or coach.

Div suggesting on twitter it might be Tommy Craig next. Despite being 64 this year he would actually have less experience as a manager than most candidates. Apart from 9 months in Belgium he has always been an assistant or coach.

This would be a cost cutting appointment at best and put the club in limbo awaiting change of ownership even more than it is now. The BOD should either find the right buyer pronto or commit to the future...both options easier said than done.

Having now seen the tweet on the home page feed, it is in the form of a question...answer then is No

Edited by alanb

Gary Locke BBC......

Lennon's future is being discussed by the St Mirren board but Locke insists he is the man for the job.

"He has kept them in the league again, won them a trophy last season, what more can Danny do?

"If St Mirren had been relegated, you could understand it. But he has secured their safety and if you are being realistic, keeping St Mirren in the Premiership is a fantastic achievement.

"As well as that, they had that great run to the final where they beat us last year. Allied to that, they have brought through some great young players too.

"I just find it all baffling."

What a patronising little...

Aye, he was very dignified, and demonstrated genuine class (again).

I've decided that I now feel he should be given a new deal. Even one further year, to see how things pan out. The biggest factor in the end is his approach to playing young players, and his commitment to the club in a more general sense.

I'm not convinced that anyone who might come in will do a better job.

I tend to agree Drew.

I was for Danny going but my gut is saying give him another year.

My fear is who would replace him?

I dont trust the board to appoint someone better.

I tend to agree Drew.

I was for Danny going but my gut is saying give him another year.

My fear is who would replace him?

I dont trust the board to appoint someone better.

This is my worry. I've got a feeling that they're going to make a disaster of it and pick the wrong man.

Personally I like Tommy Craig and for sure he is good with the young players , however if true this is a kick in the teeth for Danny Lennon

Gilmour used to talk about succession planning and promoting from within. That was the story when Coughlin replaced Tom Hendrie and when McPherson replaced Coughlin. Whilst there is some sense in that logic the problem with it is that it leads to assistants who become less than supportive of the manager in order to speed up getting the job, and you often get an assistant who's tainted with the previous managers failings.

What I would be wary of though is the extent to which certain players within the squad are able to influence decisions on managerial matters with directors in the boardroom.

Feel for DL, feel for the fans , feel for the board.

Surely though, anyone can understand that with the For Sale sign blowing in the breeze, and , possible deal being considered / developed / cultivated, then the last thing the Chairman would do is offer a contract to the manger. Any new purchaser, interested party would want their own man if at all practical , or as in the current situation was conveniently a possibility.

Sadly, the costs and financial liability must be mitigated in order to make a sale of interest. If offering a new contract to DL was based on sentiment , youth development and recent cup success, he'd be a stick on. Sadly DL at this point in time is as much a victim of circumstance as are numerous players now all out of contract. The interesting angle here , whatever happens, ST Mirren are going to be linked with Bertie Bassets for quite a while now.

No matter what happens, DL is a ST Mirren hero, my kids love him for the cup , I admire his stoicism, his honesty and pragmatic acceptance of his current plight. St Mirren are the constant here and players and managers are transient, however, irrespective, DL has got himself a special place in this St Mirren fan's psyche.

The cold hearted facts are that the business interests over ride anything else just now.

To be perfectly honest, if the options are Danny or promoting Tommy Craig then we should 100% stick with Danny, at least for another year.

Earlier in the season I was completely for Danny going, at the time it would have been fully merited. However, given that he evetually turned things around I now find myself feeling a weird sense of "meh" around him staying or going. If an ideal candidate becomes available then great. If not then we will scrape by with the skin of our teeth again under Danny.

Surely though, anyone can understand that with the For Sale sign blowing in the breeze, and , possible deal being considered / developed / cultivated, then the last thing the Chairman would do is offer a contract to the manger. Any new purchaser, interested party would want their own man if at all practical , or as in the current situation was conveniently a possibility.

Sadly, the costs and financial liability must be mitigated in order to make a sale of interest. If offering a new contract to DL was based on sentiment , youth development and recent cup success, he'd be a stick on. Sadly DL at this point in time is as much a victim of circumstance as are numerous players now all out of contract. The interesting angle here , whatever happens, ST Mirren are going to be linked with Bertie Bassets for quite a while now.

No matter what happens, DL is a ST Mirren hero, my kids love him for the cup , I admire his stoicism, his honesty and pragmatic acceptance of his current plight. St Mirren are the constant here and players and managers are transient, however, irrespective, DL has got himself a special place in this St Mirren fan's psyche.

The cold hearted facts are that the business interests over ride anything else just now.

Bertie Bassets , that brought a smile to my face brilliant quote , quote of the year in fact !

I genuinely feel for Danny. There have been times ( too often) where decisions are baffling or just plain rubbish. However we have survived. Again. Top 6 would be nice. Just once to see what it's like and actually try to progress. But that would need real board support with money etc.

The treatment of dl has been shabby, amateurish and disrespectful. At least say thanks to the man and let him move on knowing why. Would he treat you like that. I don't think so

Bring honest, earlier in the seasoning would have bagged him, however he came good again. Like others- give him 1 year and 1 year option. At least show him some respect.

Would it have been too much to ask the BoD to show the manager the respect he deserves as well as communicate with us mere fans and let him take a final bow today? As it was, we had the Hearts fans singing their manager's name throughout the game, whilst DL was given a brief applause and left the park. If today was his last game, and it feels like it was (if he was saying bye to the players in the dressing room as one post says) I believe as a football club we've been disrespectful. The Saints fans are divided about what should happen next and who gets to take the reigns but the atmosphere in the stadium today was one of confusion and disbelief- it's not the first time as fans we're left in the dark. When all of this finally settles and the club is bought, can the new board please communicate with the fans (aka the shareholders, the wage-payers etc). The BBC interview by SG on Wednesday night was completely pointless....and set everyone up for another week of uncertainty. Sometimes as a club we make the simple things seem hard!

Would it have been too much to ask the BoD to show the manager the respect he deserves as well as communicate with us mere fans and let him take a final bow today? As it was, we had the Hearts fans singing their manager's name throughout the game, whilst DL was given a brief applause and left the park. If today was his last game, and it feels like it was (if he was saying bye to the players in the dressing room as one post says) I believe as a football club we've been disrespectful. The Saints fans are divided about what should happen next and who gets to take the reigns but the atmosphere in the stadium today was one of confusion and disbelief- it's not the first time as fans we're left in the dark. When all of this finally settles and the club is bought, can the new board please communicate with the fans (aka the shareholders, the wage-payers etc). The BBC interview by SG on Wednesday night was completely pointless....and set everyone up for another week of uncertainty. Sometimes as a club we make the simple things seem hard!

The apparent disrespect shown to our manager is disappointing without a doubt.I would have to include sections of our own 'support' in that as well as the BOD.

There has been a small handful of supporters like myself who have not once called for the managers head.

The sheer volume of people who have changed their minds in now wishing him to be offered a new contract is testament to the work the manager and players have put in (especially during bad runs) to get us to the position where we ended up.

I think those of you who have changed your stance based on various things , league position, turning it round, who on earth would take over ? etc. should be equally respected. :)

It's always tough supporting St Mirren , that will never change.

I'm glad that although opinions are divided , the one thing that has come together is the fans on at least one issue , RESPECT

Danny Lennon above all else has earned respect.Whatever the future holds for him , I'm sure we all wish him well.

Conjecture but based on the SG/DL radio interviews and club statement...

1. Danny has been told nothing.

2. If the board were 100% agreed on him going then it would have been announced before today.

3. The decision will be made on Monday.

If it was cut and dried then why have the board delayed? Doesn't make any sense.

If the decision genuinely hasn't been made then I wouldn't be surprised if DL stayed on the back of today. 8th place confirmed, more fans warming to him remaining and the baffled reaction of football people out with the club. A compromise of 1 year for Danny, rather than 2 for someone else would be quite convenient for a selling board, too.

Edited by Julian Banjos