Where Are You Going This Summer

Driving to Paris for a week in June, staying in Disneyland. Stopping off at Ribby Hall outside St Anne's for a 4 nights on the way home.

Playa Blanca in Lanzarote July for a week in July.

First part of my holidays just about over. Back to work on Monday.

Drive to Disneyland was easy through the night. Tunnel in under 7 hours with 2 piss stops. Just over 2 1/2 hours to Disney at other side.

Anyone not been and thinking of booking up, I would highly recommend saying in a Disney hotel as you get access to the park from 8am, park opens at 10am. We did so much in the 4 mornings between that time, Kyle got in his fav rides up to 6 times in a row without waiting before moving into the next one and doing the same.

Ribby hall was a good way to break up the trip north as we were driving Friday afternoon, would have taken ages.

Thinking of returning there next summer for 5 or 7 days, loads for kids to do in the village and te comfort of a wee cottage at night for when he's in his bed.

Couple of Peronis tonight and cheer on ABE, back to work Monday.

Edited by davidg

Hi Folks,

Been in China a week now,started with two days in Shanghai, fabulous apartment,if ever you come here ,try these Fraser Apartments,beautiful and huge. Then four days down in Fuzhou.....down to see my Daughter in laws Family at their Farm absolutely middle of nowhere,no Westerners anywhere near there.

Went into a big store in the town about forty minutes away and the place literally stopped to watch us go round.

Food is really off the wall there,real local stuff,veg and rice and fish biased. I have done ok despite being gluten intolerant,have not been ill until today up in Bejing, must have been something in the Korean place last night, they do not get it when Ivy tells them that there can be no gluten at all in my food.It would be well nigh impossible to be here without family who can speak the language.....well,certainly down South you would be totally lost.

Went to Tiannemen today, stunning and absolutely colossal area of a place. We were stopped there today so some locals could have their pictures taken with us, they seem particularly taken with my wife's blonde hair....unlike me who has name hair....

As I say,up in Bejing now, two more nights here then off to Xian to see the Terracotta Warriors.

Tomorrow we are off to see the Great Wall, really looking forward to that.

Having a wee Smirnoff and coke before dinner, six quid fro a bottle.......lovely.

I have a few photos but need my Son's laptop,will do it later......

My niece is off to China with the school shortly. France was as exotic as it got in my day and my folks, god bless them, couldn't even afford that.

Personally, just had a weekend in Bruges, off to Germany to watch the toon in a tournament at Schalke 04s' place then a week in Santa Ponsa a few days after returning from Germany. Loads to look forward to but can't afford much in between things. I may have once again bitten off more than i can chew financially. Should find enough for trips to Blyth and Whitley bay with a few beers into the bargain though.

post-6073-0-02979000-1403520667_thumb.jppost-6073-0-35525600-1403520758_thumb.jppost-6073-0-78972300-1403520831_thumb.jp

Hello Again Buddies

Another busy day in Bejing today, went up the Great Wall, superb. Absolutely roasting today and a big pat on the back to my Son for navigating us there in

the car. Superb views and breathtaking scale of architecture. Took a few photos over the last three days,remarkable that we ran into Mark Yardley at the

Bhuddist Temple down in Fuzhou......The picture of him lying down was too good too resist.lol.giflol.giflol.gif

Spot on, Rick, we were in Santa Ponsa around 20 years ago when my son was 4 or 5 and by the middle of the second week I was thoroughly pissed off with the "beans with everything" main resort. We hired a car and drove up into the mountains and I couldn't believe the difference. Stunning is the right word.

Spot on, Rick, we were in Santa Ponsa around 20 years ago when my son was 4 or 5 and by the middle of the second week I was thoroughly pissed off with the "beans with everything" main resort. We hired a car and drove up into the mountains and I couldn't believe the difference. Stunning is the right word.

Why didn't you just tell them "No beans please".

I can't speak Spanish.......

Lo siento, no hablo Espanol...

Is, I believe, without using Google 'I'm sorry, I don't speak Spanish'. I try to learn this phrase in the language of any country I'm visiting. If you try, give it a go, then shrug your shoulders a wee bit, smile and say 'I'm sorry, I don't speak....' then I find people respect the fact you gave it a shot and didn't just expect them to speak English.

In French, I practice 'Je suis desolay, je ne parlez-pas Francois tres bien' before going there. 'I'm sorry I don't speak French very well'.

Don't know about anyone else, but everywhere I go, I want to at least try to speak a wee bit of basic language, eat the local cuisine, and so on. Wanting pie and chips and blustering around blurting everything in English is bawbaggery in the extreme. IMHO!

First part of my holidays just about over. Back to work on Monday.

Drive to Disneyland was easy through the night. Tunnel in under 7 hours with 2 piss stops. Just over 2 1/2 hours to Disney at other side.

Anyone not been and thinking of booking up, I would highly recommend saying in a Disney hotel as you get access to the park from 8am, park opens at 10am. We did so much in the 4 mornings between that time, Kyle got in his fav rides up to 6 times in a row without waiting before moving into the next one and doing the same.

Ribby hall was a good way to break up the trip north as we were driving Friday afternoon, would have taken ages.

Thinking of returning there next summer for 5 or 7 days, loads for kids to do in the village and te comfort of a wee cottage at night for when he's in his bed.

Couple of Peronis tonight and cheer on ABE, back to work Monday.

Stayed in the Carribean Hotel complex in Disney Florida.

As Mr. G says the early entry and, in Florida, you got an wristband for an extra hour at the end of the night is worthwhile.

Disney's own coaches whisked you to the theme parks.

Read an article whilst in Orlando about Disney wanting to build there own airport and as one critic put it,

"If Disney had their way visitors would fly into a Disney airport, transfer in a Disney coach, stay in a Disney Hotel, eat at the Disney restaurants, visit the Disney Parks, and really never touch American soil."

Haven't been to Florida for a number of years and now unlikely to go again unless my daughter makes me a grandpa and takes me. The last time I went we made a conscious decision not to visit the theme parks. It did help that on a previous visit I found a book titled something along the lines of "How to spend 14 days in Orlando without visiting the theme parks".

Disneyland Paris is, of course, a smaller version of Orlando, but has the same, though less of them, attractions. You could call Disneyland Paris, Disneyland Florida's greatest hits.

As Mr. G says the early entry and, in Florida, you got an wristband for an extra hour at the end of the night is worthwhile.

Read an article whilst in Orlando about Disney wanting to build there own airport and as one critic put it,

"If Disney had their way visitors would fly into a Disney airport, transfer in a Disney coach, stay in a Disney Hotel, eat at the Disney restaurants, visit the Disney Parks, and really never touch American soil."

Haven't been to Florida for a number of years and now unlikely to go again unless my daughter makes me a grandpa and takes me. The last time I went we made a conscious decision not to visit the theme parks. It did help that on a previous visit I found a book titled something along the lines of "How to spend 14 days in Orlando without visiting the theme parks".

Disneyland Paris is, of course, a smaller version of Orlando, but has the same, though less of them, attractions. You could call Disneyland Paris, Disneyland Florida's greatest hits.

I was in Florida a number of years ago, kids were about 13/12 and stayed in Kissimmee. Hired a car to get to and from the theme parks.

Having the car was a bonus, gave you freedom to visit other attractions, although the main parks were the main aim.

I found them costly but worth the money as they do everything very, very well.

The only cost I grudged was paying the parking EVERY time you visited a park! You had no real choice, which, after paying for a family ticket I was a bit pissed off about.

Clean, polite and way ahead of anything in the UK, especially at the time.The 2 weeks was very tiring, even taking a few days "out" to relax.

The 2 weeks was very tiring, even taking a few "rest days" into the bargain.

I'd love to go back with the grandkids although they are mostly a bit young right now. (7, 3 & 3)

Taking everything into account I'd stay in the Disney resort, take advantage of the early access.

Prefer to wait 3 or 4 years until the kids are at a better age to take advantage of the parks.

PS I can't speak Spanish either. lol.gif

Edited by faraway saint

Been to Orlando three times and stay at Portofino Bay hotel in Universal Studios. Room key gets fast track ride access and early access to new rides like Harry Potter. Great hotel, very relaxing and it's a beautiful walk through the gardens past the Hard Rock Hotel to City Walk and the two Universal Parks. Been to the Disney parks once to see them, but Islands of Adventure and Universal Studios have better rides for a big wean like me.

The Hulk rollercoaster is one of the best I've been on. Nearly as many ups, downs, scary bits, and feelings of nausea as a St Mirren season ticket gets you.

Is, I believe, without using Google 'I'm sorry, I don't speak Spanish'. I try to learn this phrase in the language of any country I'm visiting. If you try, give it a go, then shrug your shoulders a wee bit, smile and say 'I'm sorry, I don't speak....' then I find people respect the fact you gave it a shot and didn't just expect them to speak English.

In French, I practice 'Je suis desolay, je ne parlez-pas Francois tres bien' before going there. 'I'm sorry I don't speak French very well'.

Don't know about anyone else, but everywhere I go, I want to at least try to speak a wee bit of basic language, eat the local cuisine, and so on. Wanting pie and chips and blustering around blurting everything in English is bawbaggery in the extreme. IMHO!

What's French for air traffic controller are a shower of cnuts ? Should have done a deal with Germany and let Hitler keep them 70 years ago whistling.gif

Been to Disney World in Orlando loads of times but actually really enjoyed Disneyland Paris as it was much quieter and nowhere near as hot.

In my last 6 visits to Florida I've only been to Disney once, only to Florida once since Kyle was born.

2 weeks in Florida is great fun without Disney.

I speak passable Italian and enough French to get by and I can speak beer in 14 other languages. As faraway alluded to, I think you may have missed the point, poz.

If you're in France, apologise for speaking French like a Spanish cow as an opener, that's how they describe non-native speakers so it gets them on your side right away.

:)

Edited by salmonbuddie

We were in Florida in late November/Early December in the early 80's. It included Thanksgiving which is quite a good time to visit. Americans tend to stay close to home for Thanksgiving although to compensate, Canadians drive down in huge numbers. It's still too warm at times with humidity being a problem at times but the temperature was around the mid 70's to low 80's which is OK. We stayed in Orlando for a couple of days and took a two day ticket to Disney World. It's not too busy at that time of year so none of the long queues you can get for the big attractions. The days we were there happened to be 30th.Nov and !st.Dec. When we came on the morning of the 1st Dec.,overnight the Magic Kingdom had been transformed into a Winter/Christmas Wonderland. It was absolutely spectacular and it must have taken an army of people to carry out such a transformation overnight. It really made our trip something special.

That year we were getting $2-40 to the £. Didn't half help. I t only rained once and we were on one of the boats on the Everglades. Never got such a soaking in my life. When the sun came back out we were all steaming. Nothing to do with drink. That came later.

I speak passable Italian and enough French to get by and I can speak beer in 14 other languages. As faraway alluded to, I think you may have missed the point, poz.

If you're in France, apologise for speaking French like a Spanish cow as an opener, that's how they describe non-native speakers so it gets them on your side right away.

smile.png

When I was in Nice a couple of years ago I used to try and order meals in French. One restaurant gave me a couple of free drinks simply because I made the effort.

I try to do the same in Spain, Portugal and Italy. Common courtesy really.

Germany and Denmark were a step too far, but fortunately most folk spoke pretty decent English.

Anyway, off to Palma Old Tow next Wednesday. Might try a wee sortie up into the mountains if I'm ever sober enough.

Will definitely pop over to Soller on the scenic train though.

Edited by FTOF