Where Are You Going This Summer

When I was in Nice a couple of years ago I used to try and order meals in French. One restaurant gave me a couple of free drinks simply because I made the effort.

I try to do the same in Spain, Portugal and Italy. Common courtesy really.

Germany and Denmark were a step too far, but fortunately most folk spoke pretty decent English.

Anyway, off to Palma Old Tow next Wednesday. Might try a wee sortie up into the mountains if I'm ever sober enough.

Will definitely pop over to Soller on the scenic train though.

Most "locals" appreciate any effort made to communicate in the countries native tongue.

We took our granddaughter to Tenerife last winter, encouraged her to say the basics in Spanish, went down very well, resulting in us taking home half a suitcase of lollypops given as a gesture by waiters/waitresses.

Also she was pleased as punch, hopefully encouraging her to see the benefits of speaking another language, and Spanish isn't a bad language to start with.

Edited by faraway saint

• 2 weeks later...

I was in Florida a number of years ago, kids were about 13/12 and stayed in Kissimmee. Hired a car to get to and from the theme parks.

Having the car was a bonus, gave you freedom to visit other attractions, although the main parks were the main aim.

I found them costly but worth the money as they do everything very, very well.

The only cost I grudged was paying the parking EVERY time you visited a park! You had no real choice, which, after paying for a family ticket I was a bit pissed off about.

Clean, polite and way ahead of anything in the UK, especially at the time.The 2 weeks was very tiring, even taking a few days "out" to relax.

The 2 weeks was very tiring, even taking a few "rest days" into the bargain.

I'd love to go back with the grandkids although they are mostly a bit young right now. (7, 3 & 3)

Taking everything into account I'd stay in the Disney resort, take advantage of the early access.

Prefer to wait 3 or 4 years until the kids are at a better age to take advantage of the parks.

PS I can't speak Spanish either. lol.gif

If anyone is planning to go to Orlando can I make a quick suggestion. Before you book with a tour operator have a read at the DIS Board and the DIBB forum and look for something called DVC Rentals. It's a great way to get booked into one of Disney's best Resorts at really reasonable prices. It's a private transaction so there is a small risk element. Basically someone who owns Disney Vacation Club Points and who isn't going to use them can rent out the points to those who want them and book the room on their behalf. The going rate is around £7 per point which is pretty cheap especially if you can get a room at the excellent Boardwalk Resort, Beach Club Resort or the Grand Floridian.

Anyway, change of plan for me this year. I was supposed to be heading to Paris but instead it's St Tropez for my son and I this year. I went to Nice a couple of years ago but we didn't get as far down the coast as St Tropez so we're giving that a go this year. I'm quite impressed at the price we are paying too - seems like really good value for money.

Have been in Palma since Wednesday. Apartment has a huge secluded balcony plus jacuzzi. Meant that yesterday we chilled out all day and when we felt like a bite to eat we popped down to the tapas bar next to the apartment. Back upstairs for intermittent visits to the fridge for remarkably cheap beer and cava. Furthest you have tp walk for bars or restaurants is 15 minutes. Il corts d'ingles supermarket 5 minutes away. Don't think I"ll ever be able to stay in a hotel again. It has sky and free wi-fi too.

Edited by FTOF

Just back from touring the Scottish Islands had great weather fantastic restaurants for dinner miles of pure white sandy beaches with torques sea where we were the only people on the beach. On Thursday had a drive round Mull it took five and a half hours and no there was no tractor in front of us what a huge island with diverse scenery. Brilliant holiday.

Have you been up the mountains? It amazes me the number of people who go to Majorkie every year who haven't gone up. Absolutely stunning and like a different country.

Sadly I didn't. I did when I went in both 2005 and 2011, but with a 7 month old this time, it would have been too difficult. Was in Sa Coma, which was an area I hadn't been to before, but really enjoyed it - being lucky enough to be in a great hotel / complex helped of course. :-)

Thoroughly enjoyed Crete again this year. We returned on the basis of enjoying our holiday there three years ago, though tried a different area of the island this time.

Small, family ran apartment complex with a 15 to 20 minute stroll to the centre of Agios Nikolaus - a vibrant town in a great setting with harbour and lake in the centre. The apartments were pretty basic but spotlessly clean and catered for our needs just fine. Very chilled atmosphere, and the owners couldn't do enough for their guests. They knew everyone by name, were very warm and welcoming, and made us feel very much at home. This clearly accounts for the number of return visitors, many of whom were there when we were and were equally welcoming. Great atmosphere all round.

For four of us, a meal averaged about 50, including a couple of drinks each and perhaps a couple of shared starters and desserts. Very reasonable, and generally good quality fare and service.

We will go back to the same apartments in the future - possibly just the missus and myself next time for an even more chilled break.

Back to work tomorrow after three and a half weeks off....

That's going to hurt!

Edited by Drew

Thoroughly enjoyed Crete again this year. We returned on the basis of enjoying our holiday there three years ago, though tried a different area of the island this time.

Small, family ran apartment complex with a 15 to 20 minute stroll to the centre of Agios Nikolaus - a vibrant town in a great setting with harbour and lake in the centre. The apartments were pretty basic but spotlessly clean and catered for our needs just fine. Very chilled atmosphere, and the owners couldn't do enough for their guests. They knew everyone by name, were very warm and welcoming, and made us feel very much at home. This clearly accounts for the number of return visitors, many of whom were there when we were and were equally welcoming. Great atmosphere all round.

For four of us, a meal averaged about 50, including a couple of drinks each and perhaps a couple of shared starters and desserts. Very reasonable, and generally good quality fare and service.

We will go back to the same apartments in the future - possibly just the missus and myself next time for an even more chilled break.

Back to work tomorrow after three and a half weeks off....

That's going to hurt!

Yes , Agios Nikolaus is very pretty and l would imagine you took the rather scary trip , over the hill , to Elounda Bay (the setting for the 7ts tv show , The Lotus Eaters) , enjoying the look of the sheer drop as you went . .unsure.png

I remember being told that the big lagoon next to the bridge at Agios Nikolaus , is the resting place of a German tank that went in there during the war . Might be a myth but it certainly gets people looking into the depths of the lagoon hoping to catch a glimpse of said hardware. .

Did you go to the Samarian Gorge. .

Seeing as how you're wearing the new home shirt in China, surely you could have nipped into JD Sports manufacturing plant there to offer the poor workers some Neurofen and dark sunglasses.

Just seen this Poz..........

Anyway, there are no Factories in China.....Everything "Hand Made" say the locals..........

Edinburgh next weekend, 3 nights at the Caledonian Hotel, attending the BBC concert at Edinburgh Castle on the Saturday night.

Can't wait, Edinburgh has a great selection of pubs and restaurants, will try as many as possible. thumbup2.gif

That's nice.

If you like all kind of fish to eat, Olhao in Portugal could be the place for you, but if it is meat or chicken, the choice is very small. It is only about a 15 min drive east from Faro airport. Tourist are well out numbered by locals in this small town that is the main fishing port in the area. No sky sports, no brits pubs, lack of football tops (just saw 3 in 2 weeks) just full of local bars and restaurants serving great food and local beer at prices so low you wonder how they make money. No beach here but plenty of boat trips available to small sandy islands just a short distance away. Stayed at the Real Marina hotel which was excellent. Only downside was the amount of really poor looking local who spent all day and night begging.

Edinburgh next weekend, 3 nights at the Caledonian Hotel, attending the BBC concert at Edinburgh Castle on the Saturday night.

Can't wait, Edinburgh has a great selection of pubs and restaurants, will try as many as possible. thumbup2.gif

Forget the centre of Edinburgh for food unless you have a Whisky Society membership. I've not had a decent meal in the centre at any of the places my girlfriend has taken me to. Go further out instead.

The Laird and Dog in Lasswade, The Cockatoo at Old Craighall Road, and The Auld Bakehouse in West Linton would be my tips. The Royal Hotel in Penicuik is not too bad either.

Edited for more accuracy on locations

Edited by Stuart Dickson

Cracking wee pub in Thistle Street called The Thistle street bar. It is small though.

Plenty of decent restauarants around the George Street area and further down towards Leith.

Only a complete buffoon could fail to find them. You should be all right - just!whistling.gif

Yes , Agios Nikolaus is very pretty and l would imagine you took the rather scary trip , over the hill , to Elounda Bay (the setting for the 7ts tv show , The Lotus Eaters) , enjoying the look of the sheer drop as you went . .unsure.png

I remember being told that the big lagoon next to the bridge at Agios Nikolaus , is the resting place of a German tank that went in there during the war . Might be a myth but it certainly gets people looking into the depths of the lagoon hoping to catch a glimpse of said hardware. .

Did you go to the Samarian Gorge. .

Apologies mate, had missed this before now.

I drove from Agios Nikolaus to Plakka (for boat over to Spinalonga) and actually took the high road turning by accident. Sheesh, that was...er, interesting! I think I fared better driving than the family did as passengers, though, as I had to concentrate (very fully!) on the road as opposed to peering into the abyss.

We didn't walk the gorge as I don't think my less than adventurous offspring would have been up for it. Next time, though (we'll go back without the girls).

Cracking wee pub in Thistle Street called The Thistle street bar. It is small though.

Plenty of decent restauarants around the George Street area and further down towards Leith.

Only a complete buffoon could fail to find them. You should be all right - just!whistling.gif

The Café Royal and The Guildford arms are both ornate Victorian style bars right next door to each other on West Register Street. Fine selection of beers, particularly in the former.

Both worth a visit.

Forget the centre of Edinburgh for food unless you have a Whisky Society membership. I've not had a decent meal in the centre at any of the places my girlfriend has taken me to. Go further out instead.

The Laird and Dog in Lasswade, The Cockatoo at Old Craighall Road, and The Auld Bakehouse in West Linton would be my tips. The Royal Hotel in Penicuik is not too bad either.

Edited for more accuracy on locations

Thanks................................I think.

We've booked L'es Cargot Blanc for the Friday night and The Royal McGregor for the Saturday night as it's near the castle for the BBC concert.

Looked into both, above average reviews although sometimes you can get unlucky.

Sunday we're going to wing it as there's a carnival on Princess St, samba my way to any old place. clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

Edited by faraway saint

We've booked L'es Cargot Blanc for the Friday night and The Royal McGregor for the Saturday night as it's near the castle for the BBC concert.

Sunday we're going to wing it as there's a carnival on Princess St, samba my way to any old place. clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

have eaten in the French restaurant it's very good and good value if it's the place in thinking of. Grass market ?

FFS !

No cameras please .

Guest TPAFKATS

Interesting range of artists billed for that concert, Paloma Faith should be entertaining and I'm assuming Smoky's voice is still in fine fettle.

Cannae quite get my head round them billing as a pre cursor to the Commonwealth Games though - it's taking place in Edinburgh not Glasgow, there's no acts billed from the host nation (in the advertising) and the headliner is an American 1eye.gif

Interesting range of artists billed for that concert, Paloma Faith should be entertaining and I'm assuming Smoky's voice is still in fine fettle.

Cannae quite get my head round them billing as a pre cursor to the Commonwealth Games though - it's taking place in Edinburgh not Glasgow, there's no acts billed from the host nation (in the advertising) and the headliner is an American 1eye.gif

Aye, a thin/non existent link to the commonwealth games, although I really don't care, it's a mixed bag, I'll like the majority and enjoy the setting, not often you can sit in a castle and enjoy a concert. thumbup2.gif

I'll gie you a wave. bye1.gif