In our new manager we want someone with the following qualities

Knows the Scottish game inside out

Has played at a high level

Is good with the media

Has a good rapport with the fans

Cares about the Saint Mirren professional football club pte ltd co

Commands the respect of professional footballers

Is not a bumbling halfwit

Forum user's may I present Mr Steven Thompson!

Edited to add: Of course if we want someone with a Saint Mirren professional football club pte ltd co background that includes scoring a winning goal in a national cup final for our beloved team the we could also look at Ian Ferguson!!!!!!

Edited by TediousTom

Am I the only one who would be really disappointed if it was Owen Coyle?

He's got a shite record down south and even at the fakes he failed to win anything.

Name me a fakes manager who has won anything bar an odd lower league - he doesn't exist ( well at least until this Saturday)

Indeed.

Gus Macpherson pissed all over Owen Coyle in the First Division - and with a much smaller budget.

Coyle got the gig down south because of he was known in that part of the country. He got lucky in taking Burnley up and has subsequently been found out for the shit manager that he is.

Not buying that. His form in England was patchy, granted, but the temptation down there (no, it isn't even a temptation, nowadays, more a necessity if you want your club to compete) is to spunk daft money left, right, and centre. He'll have been caught up in that, but will possibly came away with valuable experience and contacts in the wider game.

I'm deliberately ignoring your MacPherson comparison, by that way.

I think Coyle has enough about him to be a successful manager of a club like St Mirren.

I'm simply trying to put myself in the directors position. They need to make a decision, and I think they could do a hell of a lot worse than Owen Coyle (even assuming there is the remotest chance that it could happen).

Waiting on Villa to pump Paul Lambert, then he can 'do a Thommo' and come home having made his money from the game.

What? It isn't as outlandish an idea as, erm, Bazza Ferguson.

Come on Villa, get the finger out. Andre Villas Boas can step in for you.

Am I the only one who would be really disappointed if it was Owen Coyle?

He's got a shite record down south and even at the fakes he failed to win anything.

It's none of my business really, but I'd agree with that. He'd command a large fee but there's no evidence he deserves the reputation that some Saints fans are willing to give him. If you are going to spend big money then someone with a proven track record of working with younger players would make more sense. McDowell, Stark or Clarke would fit that bill but I can't see any of them being stupid enough to want the St Mirren job. McDowell and Stark have two of the cushiest jobs in Scottish Football and Clarke must surely have his eye on either a managers job or an assistants job in the Premiership down south.

Of the rest being touted for the job Ian Cathro would be an interesting name if he threw his hat into the ring. Well done to the poster who pulled that one out. Cathro was always highly regarded around the Largs circuit as a top quality coach. He didn't like Wotte's plans for the direction of the Elite Academies and it's true he believed that Scottish Chairmen wouldn't take a punt on him because of his lack of professional football experience. Gary Locke would be another. I know Locke might not be seen as the most popular appointment but he's actually done much better than I expected during a very turbulent period at Hearts and the progress his young squad made has been evident for everyone to see. And the likes of David Weir, John Hartson, Barry Ferguson and Chris Sutton would be no more than an uncharacteristic wild punt.

It's none of my business really, but I'd agree with that. He'd command a large fee but there's no evidence he deserves the reputation that some Saints fans are willing to give him. If you are going to spend big money then someone with a proven track record of working with younger players would make more sense. McDowell, Stark or Clarke would fit that bill but I can't see any of them being stupid enough to want the St Mirren job. McDowell and Stark have two of the cushiest jobs in Scottish Football and Clarke must surely have his eye on either a managers job or an assistants job in the Premiership down south.

Of the rest being touted for the job Ian Cathro would be an interesting name if he threw his hat into the ring. Well done to the poster who pulled that one out. Cathro was always highly regarded around the Largs circuit as a top quality coach. He didn't like Wotte's plans for the direction of the Elite Academies and it's true he believed that Scottish Chairmen wouldn't take a punt on him because of his lack of professional football experience. Gary Locke would be another. I know Locke might not be seen as the most popular appointment but he's actually done much better than I expected during a very turbulent period at Hearts and the progress his young squad made has been evident for everyone to see. And the likes of David Weir, John Hartson, Barry Ferguson and Chris Sutton would be no more than an uncharacteristic wild punt.

Last word of your post. You typed a 'p' when you were looking for a 'c'.

Here to help.

The last time we had a poll like this on here, the name of the eventual manager wasn't even mentioned, and the site was alot quieter then than it is now apparently!

http://www.blackandwhitearmy.com/forums/index.php/topic/29411-new-manager/page-2

Would it be a big shock if that happened again? I don't think so.

I just hope whoever it is, that the decision is made this week, or early next week at the latest. No matter who the BoD pick there will be some fans (probably alot of fans) not happy, but hopefully we all get behind him no matter who it is or where he comes from.

The last time we had a poll like this on here, the name of the eventual manager wasn't even mentioned, and the site was alot quieter then than it is now apparently!

http://www.blackandwhitearmy.com/forums/index.php/topic/29411-new-manager/page-2

Would it be a big shock if that happened again? I don't think so.

I just hope whoever it is, that the decision is made this week, or early next week at the latest. No matter who the BoD pick there will be some fans (probably alot of fans) not happy, but hopefully we all get behind him no matter who it is or where he comes from.

^^^

This.

Edited by Drew

In our new manager we want someone with the following qualities

Knows the Scottish game inside out

Has played at a high level

Is good with the media

Has a good rapport with the fans

Cares about the Saint Mirren professional football club pte ltd co

Commands the respect of professional footballers

Is not a bumbling halfwit

Forum user's may I present Mr Steven Thompson!

Edited to add: Of course if we want someone with a Saint Mirren professional football club pte ltd co background that includes scoring a winning goal in a national cup final for our beloved team the we could also look at Ian Ferguson!!!!!!

You should attend more games before commenting on this

I think the most telling thing about today's events is what never happened. Most of us knew or strongly suspected Danny was leaving at the end of the season, so that news wasn't a big surprise. The most surprising news was that Tommy Craig is still at the club. This was an assistant apparently picked by Danny.

To me that signifies one of two things. One is that Tommy is about to take over. I think that's pretty unlikely, he's more of a coach than a manager and there's never been any rumours that he's after the main job in his 3 years here. The second more likely explanation is that Tommy is going to remain as assistant to the new manager.

This could mean that the BoD have earmarked Murray, but won't accept Jack Ross (his assistant) coming with him due to his history with the BoD, bonus gate et all. Therefore Murray comes to us, TC continues as assistant as a condition of his employment and acts as the very experienced sounding board, Jack Ross gets the Dumbarton job.

Alternatively, maybe they're intent on an internal promotion. Teale, Thompson maybe even Longwell, and they want an experienced coach like Tommy to be the tutor for a manager in his first ever senior coaching job.

Thirdly, and most intriguingly, John Collins and Tommy Craig have a relationship that goes back to Johns playing days at Celtic. Tommy has been Johns assistant at both of Collins managerial roles (Hibs and Charleroi). Perhaps the reason Tommy's still here is actually because he just happens to be the new managers chosen and trusted assistant.

Anyway, the only conclusion I can draw from all this is that it certainly won't be Barry f**king Ferguson!

Edited by Lex