St Mirren's New Manager Is Tommy Craig

Thirdly, and most intriguingly, John Collins and Tommy Craig have a relationship that goes back to Johns playing days at Celtic. Tommy has been Johns assistant at both of Collins managerial roles (Hibs and Charleroi). Perhaps the reason Tommy's still here is actually because he just happens to be the new managers chosen and trusted assistant.

Yep, this would make sense. All the Collins talk has fairly died down over the course of the day, but I still think there's something in it.

I think the most telling thing about today's events is what never happened. Most of us knew or strongly suspected Danny was leaving at the end of the season, so that news wasn't a big surprise. The most surprising news was that Tommy Craig is still at the club. This was an assistant apparently picked by Danny.

To me that signifies one of two things. One is that Tommy is about to take over. I think that's pretty unlikely, he's more of a coach than a manager and there's never been any rumours that he's after the main job in his 3 years here. The second more likely explanation is that Tommy is going to remain as assistant to the new manager.

This could mean that the BoD have earmarked Murray, but won't accept Jack Ross (his assistant) coming with him due to his history with the BoD, bonus gate et all. Therefore Murray comes to us, TC continues as assistant as a condition of his employment and acts as the very experienced sounding board, Jack Ross gets the Dumbarton job.

Alternatively, maybe they're intent on an internal promotion. Teale, Thompson maybe even Longwell, and they want an experienced coach like Tommy to be the tutor for a manager in his first ever senior coaching job.

Thirdly, and most intriguingly, John Collins and Tommy Craig have a relationship that goes back to Johns playing days at Celtic. Tommy has been Johns assistant at both of Collins managerial roles (Hibs and Charleroi). Perhaps the reason Tommy's still here is actually because he just happens to be the new managers chosen and trusted assistant.

Anyway, the only conclusion I can draw from all this is that it certainly won't be Barry f**king Ferguson!

If I was Murray and was offered the job but told who my number two was going to be I'd tell them to lump it. That's a step away from the board picking the team on a Saturday

Why are StuDick or BillyG not included?

Both have years of experience working with limited budget.

However if it's long ball you are after then Isabella Duke is da man.

I ruled myself out. Seen it , done it , wore the tee-shirt etc

If I was Murray and was offered the job but told who my number two was going to be I'd tell them to lump it. That's a step away from the board picking the team on a Saturday

Yeah, perhaps. But then I can't see the BoD wanting to employ Jack Ross after bonus gate.

Therefore, unless Murray is willing to give his current assistant up I think we can rule him out as a candidate.

I wouldn't be too upset if we hired Barry Ferguson, he is young with a lot too prove. It's hard to judge him on the Blackpool job because there were a lot of problems there when he took over but he did manage to stay clear from relegation.

He took Blackpool down that league faster than 'The Big One' at the Pleasure Beach.

When Leicester City played Blackpool near the start of the season, they were top of the league. Their form then started to slip, Ferguson was brought in to steady them and made a right c**t of it, continuing their slide. They were saved from relegation right at the very end by shitter sides around them, that's all. His record of wins during his tenure is f**king embarrassingly bad.

I wouldn't be surprised if there's an even cheaper, quicker solution out there for the board already. Perhaps even something no one's thought of yet.

Hendrie's appointment came out of the blue, and so did DL's. Other than that, they've employed from within. I can't see why they'll change that way of thinking. They'll avoid anything costly in any way.

So that'll be Steven Thompson as player/manager, with TC as assistant quite possibly.

I think the most telling thing about today's events is what never happened. Most of us knew or strongly suspected Danny was leaving at the end of the season, so that news wasn't a big surprise. The most surprising news was that Tommy Craig is still at the club. This was an assistant apparently picked by Danny.

To me that signifies one of two things. One is that Tommy is about to take over. I think that's pretty unlikely, he's more of a coach than a manager and there's never been any rumours that he's after the main job in his 3 years here. The second more likely explanation is that Tommy is going to remain as assistant to the new manager.

This could mean that the BoD have earmarked Murray, but won't accept Jack Ross (his assistant) coming with him due to his history with the BoD, bonus gate et all. Therefore Murray comes to us, TC continues as assistant as a condition of his employment and acts as the very experienced sounding board, Jack Ross gets the Dumbarton job.

Alternatively, maybe they're intent on an internal promotion. Teale, Thompson maybe even Longwell, and they want an experienced coach like Tommy to be the tutor for a manager in his first ever senior coaching job.

Anyway, the only conclusion I can draw from all this is that it certainly won't be Barry f**king Ferguson!

Heard Collins had been spotted at a couple of our games in recent weeks , but then again so was Jimmy Calderwood.

I can see your dilemma, billyg. ohmy.png

One minute you're the manager: next minute you're predicting when you'll get fired. unsure.png

Yeah , I'm not willing to work under those conditions , so I'll just continue to snipe from the stands !

If Ian Murray were to get the job and he wanted Jack Ross as his assistaint, this would mean Jack would have to give up his post with the PFA to go full time which he might not be willing to do.

Seems like TC is staying, which could either be that it is a young inexperienced manager who could use an older mind on the coaching staff... Or its one of his pals...

Either way, no matter who the gaffer is, ferguson, coyle anyone... Need to back the team no matter what

Jimmy Calderwood's name has been absent from the lists, the only job he's really flopped from was Killie, even then he still kept Killie up.

Re Tommy Craig being kept on, it was the same with Millen when Gus left, it will be up to the new man whether he wants to keep the existing backroom staff.

Edited by marrez

As regards TC staying, it's perfectly normal for a number 2 to stick around until the new manager comes in.

Unless people have specific information I wouldn't read too much into it at this stage.

BTW Stevie Clark and Owen Coyle? Are people just stating that they'd love these guys to be our next manager (which would be great) or are people genuinely thinking there is the remotest possibility of either of them coming here (which is seriously deluded).

Edited by oaksoft

I'm deliberately ignoring your MacPherson comparison, by that way.

The reason you are ignoring it is because its a fact that Gus Macpherson easily brushed aside Owen Coyle when they were head to head in the First Division (also knocked him out the League Cup) - despite having a much inferior budget, no training facilities and £3 million of debt to contend with.

Coyle failed to win promotion at St. Johnstone while Gus Macpherson not only got St. Mirren into the SPL but kept them there - with less money!

BTW Stevie Clark and Owen Coyle? Are people just stating that they'd love these guys to be our next manager (which would be great) or are people genuinely thinking there is the remotest possibility of either of them coming here (which is seriously deluded).

At last. You make a post with some sense.

Jimmy Calderwood's name has been absent from the lists, the only job he's really flopped from was Killie, even then he still kept Killie up.

Re Tommy Craig being kept on, it was the same with Millen when Gus left, it will be up to the new man whether he wants to keep the existing backroom staff.

Did Calderwood not come in with Killie in the relegation zone and he managed to drag them out of it?

Did Calderwood not come in with Killie in the relegation zone and he managed to drag them out of it?

Calderwood has no' a bad record on paper.

Dunfermline - 38% win ratio

Aberdeen - 41.% win ratio

Over 400 games in charge between these 2 clubs

Took over Killie in January who had won 16% of their games

Win ration of 30% after this and kept them up.

Took over Ross County mid Feb when they had only won 3 games all season (12% win ratio)

40% win ratio for the rest of the season.

Edited by davidg

Do you read the Record too billy or is it in all the papers?

Couple of Dumbarton players in the pub in Bishopton last night. They're adamant that he has agreed a new deal over there. I am assuming they are correct !