St Mirren's New Manager Is Tommy Craig

What business can we do with Tommy Craig as a caretaker manager?

Nobody with options is going to pick us when it's unclear who'll be picking the first team come August.

I agree, would leave us in a seriously weak position and the longer it goes on the more worried we should be about next season.

There is a lot of speculation but the ambitions of the board will be the only problem.....cant remember the last time we installed a manager which got people excited...just hope its someone with experience and able to nurture our young talent and be able to man manage the older boys who appear to have been back stabbing of late

What business can we do with Tommy Craig as a caretaker manager?

Nobody with options is going to pick us when it's unclear who'll be picking the first team come August.

Correct.

It would be a shocking, cowardly appointment, so I fully expect it to be made as indicated earlier.

JJ, is there room on the suicide watch for one more?

Edited by Drew

If we appoint TC to "sort out contracts" then he's here for keeps. It would be another silly move to get someone other than a new manager to sign guys up to contracts, then bring in a new manager who will then say "I don't want him" or "he's not part of my plans" ten minutes after we've given one or two year deals out.

I'm being very unfair on the board here, as it's been 24 hours since the manager left, but I'm getting a feeling of dread that Tommy Craig will be our new manager. Cheap option, while keeping continuity within the staff. Get rid of the headline act and promote the support act.

Edited by Soctty

Tommy Craig is a good call. Minimum cost. Minimum upheaval. We also know his philosophy.

BUT it has to be permanent and a minimum of one year.

Frankly it's the best option I can see. We need to get contracts sorted and players moved or brought in ASAP.

Edited by oaksoft

If we appoint TC to "sort out contracts" then he's here for keeps. It would be another silly move to get someone other than a new manager to sign guys up to contracts, then bring in a new manager who will then say "I don't want him" or "he's not part of my plans" ten minutes after we've given one or two year deals out.

This is akin to what happened when Butcher joined Hibs and pretty much indicated that he would be bagging at least half the squad when the opportunity arose.

We all know how that ended.

Tommy Craig is a good call. Minimum cost. Minimum upheaval. We also know his philosophy.

Frankly it's the best option I can see. We need to get contracts sorted and players moved or brought in ASAP.

You really think he can make us any better?

I seriosuly doubt that.

Tommy Craig has a vast amount of experience and is also famous for bringing in young players so why this should come as a surprise to fans is a surprise. I'm sure it will be Tommy Craig plus one of our players becoming his coach assistant probably Thomo I would think. To be honest I would be happy with that.

But why show Danny the door, only to give the gig to Tommy Craig? They've shared the managerial responsiblity for what, 3 years? It makes no sense to me, unless Danny took a shite in someone's pumpkin lantern.

But why show Danny the door, only to give the gig to Tommy Craig? They've shared the managerial responsiblity for what, 3 years? It makes no sense to me, unless Danny took a shite in someone's pumpkin lantern.

Don't agree, the manager makes the ( decisions ) and final decisions Tommy may have advised but Danny ultimately would make the dacission

Don't agree, the manager makes the ( decisions ) and final decisions Tommy may have advised but Danny ultimately would make the dacission

They were a team for 3 years, Ian. I imagine that Craig will have had a great deal of influence over tactics, line-ups, and signings. That is why he was there.

Has TC ever been a manager? Or has he always been assistant. While the news is not thrilling it might just be his time to take the reins and be his own man. I know it's not about nice guys but TC comes across as a jolly decent fellow who is clearly a football man through and through

He stepped up into the managers position from assistant at Charleroi (sp?) after John Collins left them - and was sacked 5 months later - from a 1.5 year contract.