St Mirren's New Manager Is Tommy Craig

I'm reliably informed he has already enquired about the availability of Cheick Tiote, Hatem Ben Arfa and Papiss Cisse for season long loans to give the young boys a bit of experience before sending them back to Newcastle.

We have enough midfielders and Cisse is useless!

what a dreadful, uninspiring appointment

how can the board justify giving the job to a 63 year old with just 6months experience of being a manager in his own right (and a failure in those 6 months)

if true of course....

Lesser of two evils, if you count Barry "two fingers" Ferguson as the alterantive. I wonder if Barry sees it a sign of agreement if somebody gives him the vicky?

Edited by Happy Buddie

FFS calm down people, the floors are awash.

Que Sera Sera

As long as its not Barry Snotters, then the new manager will have my full SUPPORT.

People naming names and deriding before anyone is even appointed, is just insulting and very, very stupid IMO

Behave yersels

Yip me too remember we all support ST MIRREN not DL, TC or any other of our temporary incumbents. Managers come and go - we have all seen plenty of them over the years. Some work out and some don't but the important thing is we continue to have a club (with history 100% intact) to support.

All that said...................it better not be Ferguson !!!

If Craig is appointed then it has to be assumed there has been a clamour from within for him to be retained. It might look uninspiring to us but if the players feel he's the man for the job then maybe it's no bad thing. It all seems very contrived though which leaves a bad taste in the mouth. One big plus if it is Craig is continuity. No time lost getting a squad together for the new season and every chance he already has some signings at least in mind if not lined up already.

When did management become a popularity contest? IIRC the players campaigned for Coughlin to succeed Hendrie; and I'm certain that Fitzy was a popukar appointment at every lever of the club!

When did management become a popularity contest? IIRC the players campaigned for Coughlin to succeed Hendrie; and I'm certain that Fitzy was a popukar appointment at every lever of the club!

You are right, in my opinion the players should not be picking the manager it should be the manager picking the players!!

Whilst this might not be the most imaginative and exciting appointment on the face of it, there is some common sense around it.

The players apparently rate Tommy Craig very highly, he is well liked by all accounts. That said, it makes it seem more likely to me that the chances of (the ones we want to keep) maybe increased by him staying put.

The continuity from the boards perspective is probably a good thing. They know Tommy, he knows them, they don't need to go through the mill of starting again. Given that they might not be there for much longer you can see why that might be attractive.

Tommy Craig has good contacts. It's through him that we got the Newcastle kids and lest we forget those lads did not bad for us in the cup winning season.

Tommy will surely either be assisted by someone else or will be head coach in a Director of Football type setup similar to the one Hearts have. John Collins would be the obvious choice as DoF. Again well respected, good contacts and also successful as a manager when he was at Hibs.

Time will tell if that is the case, or maybe someone like Thommo or Teale as assistant might be the plan. Time will tell.

As far as I am personally concerned I'd give anyone a fair crack of the whip. It's silly to throw the toys out the pram just because the appointment is not a "sexy" one.

It's a results driven business at the end of the day !

I have given up on this thread. It is a load of bollocks and should be moved to the speculation thread, because that is exactly what it is. I will just wait until the appointment is made!

You won't need to wait very long then fella.