St Mirren's New Manager Is Tommy Craig

What was the 3pm statement then??

The Board of Directors of St Mirren Football Club are pleased to announce the appointment of Tommy Craig as Manager of the Football Club.

Tommy has asked Gary Teale and Jim Goodwin to take on the role of Player/Coaches to assist him. Both are delighted to be on board and we look forward to our new Management team taking the Club forward.

The initial work for Tommy will be to re-sign the players who are out of contract that he wishes to see remain in his squad, together with the identification of signing targets throughout the summer and programme our pre-season plans.

The remit from the Board is to continue the foundations already in place at St Mirren, part of which is to encourage young players from our Academy to develop within our Club.

Tommy Craig has a proven record in this area and together with Jim and Gary will work with our successful Head of Youth, David Longwell to ensure our young players continue to progress from youth academy to the 1st team squad.

The supporters of the Club have been magnificent in the support of this policy, we are sure they will wish Tommy, Jim and Gary every success.

It has to be said, if the past week or so was a punch in the guts for Danny, this news must feel like a running-kick to the stones.

Especially when reading what the remit given to the new management team is. Exactly what he himself had been doing.

I wouldn't be surprised if there's an even cheaper, quicker solution out there for the board already. Perhaps even something no one's thought of yet.

Hendrie's appointment came out of the blue, and so did DL's. Other than that, they've employed from within. I can't see why they'll change that way of thinking. They'll avoid anything costly in any way.

So that'll be Steven Thompson as player/manager, with TC as assistant quite possibly.

Well, I wasn't far off.

Well done BOD, yet another bit of penny-pinching done for no reason.

We should name a stand after them shouldn't we...???

I'm pleased to see Goodwin involved at coaching level. Future manager right there.

I'm pleased that he'll still be at the club!

In many respects, this might not be worst outcome. We have a bit of stability, and guys that now know the club inside out.

Onwards and - hopefully - upwards!

Edited by Drew

Who will be the cheapest?

Its him, then.

Wasn't rocket science.

Pretty uninspiring and not much imagination shown. Cheapest option.

Will reserve judgement and support the new management team.

Never know, could be a masterstroke by the board.

Yep great example to the youngsters with his record of punching opponents and general lack of dicipline.

Goodwin is well spoken, intelligent, protects the youngsters and takes the heat away from them when the going gets tough. I bet they have a tonne of respect for him. I'd love playing next to him, TBH.

I'm happy with this appointment. At least we know there will be as little time lost as possible in tying up players on deals/bringing guys in where needed. And f**k knows, we have no time to spare on that front.

Can't say this inspires a lot of confidence that next season will be any better than this one.

After all the glaring and obvious mistakes that Danny made this season, must have only been made after discussion with TC as well.

I suppose the Board have maybe taken the view that overall the team has performed well enough but It was down to TC and not Danny Lennon.

Interesting that he two players who were backing Danny and shouting the odds about new contracts are the ones who get a job upstairs ?

yip, the only motives behinds this may well just be financial (all are currently on a wage and the managers wage is now off the payroll) as well as keeping some stability with the current squad.