St Mirren's New Manager Is Tommy Craig

Good luck Tommy - not the most spectacular appointment. At least:

A) He's not Barry Ferguson

B) A steady apointment

C) Cheap

D) not Barry Ferguson

Hopefully he has substantial contacts we havent (really) seen yet and a bit more successful than Danny was in the transfer market.

Has this appointment the result of Machiavellian politics perchance?

Well, it would certainly surprise me. There is only one Scottish Premiership vacancy, with no other top tier vacancies expected to become available. Within reason, we have the pick of the available / interested candidates. Supply and demand if you will, lack of the former, an excess of the latter. I'd say as a club we hold the cards, for once. In short, a wonderful opportunity.

My own preference would be John Collins as manager, Thomo as assistant. If money was available I could see TC fulfilling a DOF role (as others have suggested), perhaps even in a part-time capacity.

Feel like having a drink now, don't you?

Right, I wanted to wait till it was officially official - it seems Danny Lennon is being blamed solely for everything that went wrong last season. wink.png

Welcome to the job Top Cat! Plenty of questions however,

• Is this down to TC & DL's contracts being out of synch, is this appointment being made to avoid a payout?
  • How long is TC's contract for?
  • Was their a mutiny in the spring as has been suggested? It seems to me that people who will cobble together to knife someone in the back are liable to fall out and knife each other within a short period of time.
  • Teale as player coach - when was the last time he played a full game? Presumably his contract can't be for more than a year.

Given Craig's age and his lack of experience being the top dog you have to wonder if this is just an interim appointment and if he was first choice ahead of Murray. There's probably other issues but I'm feeling a bit betwattled at the moment.

Tommy Craig will receive the same degree of support I offer every St. Mirren manager. whistling.gif

Edited by Bud the Baker

Well, I wasn't far off.

Well done BOD, yet another bit of penny-pinching done for no reason.

We should name a stand after them shouldn't we...???

I'm sure there is a fairly obvious reason for the "penny pinching", no?

Again, like I said on an earlier post, I'm not sure we should be surprised as this is the way more and more clubs are going. Wright, Archibald and Locke were similar appointments while Johnston and McNamara hardly had an experience ladened CV. FFS even the OF are doing it.

I'm still concerned about the gravitas issue.

Should a 63-year-old man really still be known as 'Tommy'?

I think he should assume the more formal 'Thomas', now that he is the manager.

'Tam' it is, then!

Hardly a forward thinking choice of appointment- TC suddenly the "new man" and almost immediately Murray who been holding off signing a new deal is in for another 2 years at Dumbarton- Yeah, he will get the fans support, but what was the rush to do this so soon- Not impressed

Surprised Goodwin's been named as a coach. Would have thought that was a conflict of interest with him being captain too.

Conflict of interest?

Surely both roles want the same thing, a winning team on the park?

Edited by davidg

Well £50 at 6-1 pays for my season ticket. Thanks to Paddy Power for your generousity and to Div for the heads up. It would seem McBookie had the inside track on it whereas Paddy seemed unusually not at the races. I am sure they will recover!

Not really sure what to make of this.

Hope they do a good job, obviously. But it seems a bit odd really. Why has Tommy Craig been promoted like this and Lennon been allowed to leave? What does it say about the board and Danny, or the players and Danny? How long was this festering? Did cliques form making his position untenable or something?

Bizzare.

Goodwin and Teale are coaches then? Why does it say they will be 'assisting him' if coaches tend to have next to no authority with the managerial team? Have Goodwin/Teale signed new contracts or are they only coaches until the end of the month? How long is Tommy's contract?

This is making very little sense.

Yep great example to the youngsters with his record of punching opponents and general lack of dicipline.

Who has Goodwin punched...?

I think you've been believing the hype from Adams and Dungdee United.

The longer i think about this afternoons news on the appointments, the more pleasing it is.

Hope so, bit surprised though that he wasn't in the mix for something. Surely he was considered/chatted to and he either wasn't interested....?

I've said on here loads of times that he isn't interested in player coaching/management.

Once he hangs the boots up it's a different story.

More a military coup than a change of manager.

Interesting point from billyg above:

Interesting that he two players who were backing Danny and shouting the odds about new contracts are the ones who get a job upstairs ?

This whole affair is more than a bit whiffy, and it wouldn't surprise me if at least TC (and perhaps all 3 of them) knew what was going to happen weeks or months ago.

On Sportsound last night, Tom English said that the St Mirren board had been "privately briefing" journalists some time ago that Lennon would not continue as manager. Michael Stewart also said he'd heard noises than players were not happy with Danny. It all seems a bit rotten.

I just hope that this is an end to whatever has gone on and everyone's happy. If there has been a bit of plotting going on though then there may well be some senior figures in the dressing room who are not best pleased with this. Will be interesting to see who gets new contracts.

For the board... relatively expensive contract ends > bump up the wages of TC, GT, JC slightly > money saved.

Edited by Julian Banjos

Obviously on the face off it, its quite an unexciting appointment, I am more excited by the appointment of Teale and Goodwin, either of them is obviously being groomed to replace Tommy when he decides to retire. I think the fans would probably have been happier though if it was Teale or Goodwin given the job with Tommy as the assistant, whatever way you look at it, its a solid appointment.

Are we in more financial bother than we're letting on? Seems to me like a cost cutting change.

No, I think the board want to spend as little as possible to keep the club in as healthy a financial position as possible in an attempt to attract buyers.

Bizzare.

Goodwin and Teale are coaches then? Why does it say they will be 'assisting him' if coaches tend to have next to no authority with the managerial team? Have Goodwin/Teale signed new contracts or are they only coaches until the end of the month? How long is Tommy's contract?

This is making very little sense.

Goodwin and Teale have been coaching the U20s for a while.