St Mirren's New Manager Is Tommy Craig

Welcome to the hot seat TC. Also welcome to a greater say in team management for Teale and Goodwin, two fairly switched on and articulate guys with ambitions. I think this is a pragmatic decision and possibly closure on a few in house matters, now resolved, that have 'developed' this season and that frankly only the key figures and decision makers on the bod could deal appropriately with.

Let's get behind the new regime, bin this negativity and go forward with some hope, what else is there ?

I look forward to seeing some new players and a new era, it's not the first time and it will not be the last. Meantime let's get on with backing the manager, his new coaches and our club ffs.

I'd rather this than plenty of the wallopers proposed for the gig

Listening to Stewart on the radio at present. I remain totally unconvinced in those appointments. Tommy surely had a massive input in the last three years. Still needing centre backs. Hopefully we can compete next season with the might of the teams from Perth and Inverness. Doubt if we will renew our three season tickets now.

Reads like alot of straw clutching to me - trying to justify watching lennon sacked?

Tony,

I wasn't sure whether I wanted DL to leave or not. My views changed throughout the season. However, by Sunday, I was of the opinion that we shouldn't renew his contract.

I also feel a bit sorry for him as he appeared to be a genuine person and seemed to love everything about the club. I certainly think the board could have handled his departure much better. However, c'est la vie and we move on. Sentiment for managers departed isn't something that's particularly prevalent in most football supporters minds.

I'm not exactly jumping for joy about the new management team, but I'm not really sure who I had expected us to replace DL with, that wasn't going to stretch our budget, and would give us experience and a bit of freshness.

The more I think about it, the more I believe that our new management team can provide continuity with respect to the good things that we have about the club and also provide solutions to the problem areas like consistency, pish centre halves, strange tactics etc.

It might not work out, but we could have pushed out the boat financially for the likes of Coyle and he could easily have failed.

I'll certainly be renewing my season ticket.

Edited by FTOF

I'm much happier with the new management team than I would have been with Murray, Ferguson etc etc We were never going to get a BIG name.

Why?

Because we live within our means?

Although I did hear that Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink expressed an interest....................................

Unlike most of contributors to this site, the Board have a comprehensive understanding detailed knowledge of where the strengths and weaknesses in the management of the Club have been in recent months. Clearly the results on the park have been less than satisfactory and it is generally recognised that with the squad of players we have, the team under performed. In the circumstances, the Board had little choice but to change things. The retention of TC and recognition given tho GT and JG along with the head of youth development indicates that the Board believes that a combination of their talents will preserve the strengths of the player development structure that has been seen to deliver results in recent seasons and hopefully bring an approach to the management of the first team that will improve results.

Sadly the Club simply does not have the funds to recruit someone with the experience and type of track record that should guarantee success. In the circumstances, appointing a group of known individuals from within, who they believe have what it takes to improve performances on the park, makes good sense.

Lets cut out the sniping and ill-informed criticism that fills many of the pages of this forum and start showing a bit of biased enthusiasm and support for those working to deliver the success we all want.

I may be in a minority but I am reasonably pleased with this appointment. I would prefer TC above many other names given. TC has the Newcastle connections and good connections in the game. He is a recognised expert in youth development and coaching. And with 11 players out of contract he knows who to keep before they all vanish in the next week with other clubs sniffing about the likes of Goodwin etc. Teale will not play much I would imagine so a player-coach is a good role for him. And with Goody having a lot more responsibility he may curb the wildness in his game. And appartently Thommo just wants to concentrate in playing for a bit longer. Not only have we kept some stability we have probably kept some of our better players.

I, for one, am behind the new team. Bring on the new season (just not the now - I need a holiday) smile.png

Edited by Sonny

Unlike most of contributors to this site, the Board have a comprehensive understanding detailed knowledge of where the strengths and weaknesses in the management of the Club have been in recent months. Clearly the results on the park have been less than satisfactory and it is generally recognised that with the squad of players we have, the team under performed. In the circumstances, the Board had little choice but to change things. The retention of TC and recognition given tho GT and JG along with the head of youth development indicates that the Board believes that a combination of their talents will preserve the strengths of the player development structure that has been seen to deliver results in recent seasons and hopefully bring an approach to the management of the first team that will improve results.

Sadly the Club simply does not have the funds to recruit someone with the experience and type of track record that should guarantee success. In the circumstances, appointing a group of known individuals from within, who they believe have what it takes to improve performances on the park, makes good sense.

Lets cut out the sniping and ill-informed criticism that fills many of the pages of this forum and start showing a bit of biased enthusiasm and support for those working to deliver the success we all want.

Shut it

I may be in a minority but I am reasonably pleased with this appointment. I would prefer TC above many other names given. TC has the Newcastle connections and good connections in the game. He is a recognised expert in youth development and coaching. And with 11 players out of contract he knows who to keep before they all vanish in the next week with other clubs sniffing about the likes of Goodwin etc. Teale will not play much I would imagine so a player-coach is a good role for him. And with Goody having a lot more responsibility he may curb the wildness in his game. And appartently Thommo just wants to concentrate in playing for a bit longer. Not only have we kept some stability we have probably kept some of our better players.

I, for one, are behind the new team. Bring on the new season (just not the now - I need a holiday) smile.png

If he is a recognised "expert" what is he doing at St Mirren ?

Most exciting part of this is Goodwin and Teale. Really happy they're staying at the club.

Sorry am I missing something here. A player who spends far to much time sitting in the stand suspended another who was injured for most of the season and hardly kicked a ball and not any experience between them coaching. Please let me what you find so exciting?

Hibs had those funds. Wonder how they feel about appointing an experienced, established manager now?