St Mirren's New Manager Is Tommy Craig

At times you really have to wonder whether you are a real fan of our club or just a fud with an addiction to attention seeking.

You quote me twice, throw in some personal abuse, then accuse me of attention seeking?

Couldn't make it up :lol:

I'm reasonably happy with this set-up. As I've described at length on the Goodwin thread, I think he's a good guy and a great person to have in the squad/dressing room. I have fewer opinions on Teale, but you'd imagine as a wide player, he'll be keen on getting some much-needed width into our team.

I have no qualms with Tommy Craig getting the job and we have to assume that he has been impressive in his three years at the club so far. We didn't need a knee-jerk appointment because they are for teams that need a sudden change in fortunes.

At least we are now settled, a decision has been made and we can concentrate on building a squad for next season.

Things I would like to see happen now:

Decision made on Harkins. In or out? If he can do it for Oldham, he can do it for us.

Gowser's situation sorted. May depend on what Harkins is doing.

A new contract for McGinn? That would be the single best thing that could happen to us his summer, IMO, and would mean he's not spending next season winding his contract down.

We need two new centre halves, a new defensive midfielder, a new attacking midfielder/playmaker (Newton and Kenny both going), a new striker, two new keepers... the list is very long.

I really don't give a feck who the manager is, to a lesser extent don't care who's on the pitch, nor what the politics are behind the scenes, as long as there are 11 players on the park in black and white shirts, playing good attractive football and getting my team as high up in the league as possible, wi' mibbe a decent cup run thrown in. (there are one or two exceptions as far as players go, guys like that ba$$tard Schumacher (the goalie, no' the bad skier) and that durrty ba$$tard Rijkaard, and Barry Ferguson)

Edited by Happy Buddie

I'm reasonably happy with this set-up. As I've described at length on the Goodwin thread, I think he's a good guy and a great person to have in the squad/dressing room. I have fewer opinions on Teale, but you'd imagine as a wide player, he'll be keen on getting some much-needed width into our team.

I have no qualms with Tommy Craig getting the job and we have to assume that he has been impressive in his three years at the club so far. We didn't need a knee-jerk appointment because they are for teams that need a sudden change in fortunes.

At least we are now settled, a decision has been made and we can concentrate on building a squad for next season.

Things I would like to see happen now:

Decision made on Harkins. In or out? If he can do it for Oldham, he can do it for us.

Gowser's situation sorted. May depend on what Harkins is doing.

A new contract for McGinn? That would be the single best thing that could happen to us his summer, IMO, and would mean he's not spending next season winding his contract down.

We need two new centre halves, a new defensive midfielder, a new attacking midfielder/playmaker (Newton and Kenny both going), a new striker, two new keepers... the list is very long.

I would say we need two centre fowards. Vernon wouldn't be a bad acquisition. Hopefully Dilo will stay, so we will only need one new 'keeper. Ryan Stevenson is a twonk, but would be a reasonable replacement for McLean in midfield. A young holding midfielder playing in the U20s is apparently shaping up well, and might be about to break through. Could Yaqub be cover for Kelly at left back? Centre of defence is an absolute priority. Two additions there would be ideal.

I agree on McGinn. Not losing him would be very positive indeed.

What sort of compensation do we get for Kenny when he goes- And will any of that money be put back into the budget for TC to improve things ( i fear thats a silly question but thought i'd ask anyway) !!!

Depends whether he signs for a team down south / abroad or another Scottish team. Cross border compensation is far greater that what we would get if he signed for say Sevco or Celtic. This is why SG made the comments he did the other day. If kenny goes it is in the best interests of the club financially that he goes to an English club. If Falkirk got 150K plus development fee for Mark Stewart a few years back Kenny should be worth double that plus in the current market imo.

I would say we need two centre fowards. Vernon wouldn't be a bad acquisition. Hopefully Dilo will stay, so we will only need one new 'keeper. Ryan Stevenson is a twonk, but would be a reasonable replacement for McLean in midfield. A young holding midfielder playing in the U20s is apparently shaping up well, and might be about to break through. Could Yaqub be cover for Kelly at left back? Centre of defence is an absolute priority. Two additions there would be ideal.

Yeah, sounds fair. I'm not familiar with the youth team, but an additional holding player has been essential since Shug left. If there's one coming through I'd be happy with that, as long as there's cover for Goodwin in the squad somewhere.

I agree on the strikers too. We have been beyond lucky with Thommo's resistance to injuries. We pushed our luck last season; really can't find ourselves as short as that again.

Also, I swear I'm not slagging him, but he does lack a bit of pace and I think that sometimes shows - especially when we haven't really got any anywhere else in the team. I'd almost be tempted to try and take Magennis (or someone of that ilk) and turn him into a wide player to stretch teams when needed.

Much appreciated

Depends whether he signs for a team down south / abroad or another Scottish team. Cross border compensation is far greater that what we would get if he signed for say Sevco or Celtic. This is why SG made the comments he did the other day. If kenny goes it is in the best interests of the club financially that he goes to an English club. If Falkirk got 150K plus development fee for Mark Stewart a few years back Kenny should be worth double that plus in the current market imo.

Good news about the young holding midfielder. Do you know who it is?

I thought Magennis was pretty good as an impact sub, really bullied defences and made a nuisance of himself, even though he didn't score any goals. Unsure if I would take him though, would his wages be justifiable for a sub/impact player? Would take Vernon in a heartbeat to be honest.

I think the last line is quite meaningful in that TC feels he needs a 1-2-1 with Thommo to make him feel a part of things. is there a hint there that Thommo might not be best pleased with recent events? i suppose that events will tell and we will just have to wait and see-but it was an interestig line, for sure

Good news about the young holding midfielder. Do you know who it is?

I thought Magennis was pretty good as an impact sub, really bullied defences and made a nuisance of himself, even though he didn't score any goals. Unsure if I would take him though, would his wages be justifiable for a sub/impact player? Would take Vernon in a heartbeat to be honest.

Is the young lad Declan Hughes, perhaps? There was some chat about him on here a week or so ago when we were debating Goodwin's position as his contract was expiring.

First game of the season, Goodwin picks up a soft yellow card for, erm, being Jim Goodwin. Jim's next challenge sees an opposition player go down like a dying swan... Does Tommy Craig hook his second-in-command?

Answers on a postcard to...

First game of the season, Goodwin picks up a soft yellow card for, erm, being Jim Goodwin. Jim's next challenge sees an opposition player go down like a dying swan... Does Tommy Craig hook his second-in-command?

Passes him a snooker ball in sock to allow him to finish the bas@ard off.

Is the young lad Declan Hughes, perhaps? There was some chat about him on here a week or so ago when we were debating Goodwin's position as his contract was expiring.

Declan signed a 6 month first team contract today.

If he can stay clear of injuries he'll get a chance.

Of course he does, if he feels Jim will get himself sent off.

I must say I thought Tommy spoke very well in that interview... Only time will tell how things go.