St Mirren's New Manager Is Tommy Craig

Declan signed a 6 month first team contract today.

If he can stay clear of injuries he'll get a chance.

That's encouraging. Do we know much more about him? The holding midfielder is usually my favourite player in a team, (I'm a boring bastard) so I'd love to see another come through the youth system. cloud9.gif

Wee bit in the paper today by that twat Charlie Nicholas saying that he played under Tommy at Celtic and that he is never a manager, hopefully he is wrong and Tommy has learned a lot since then.

When was that? Over quarter of a century ago? Craig is still involved in the sport, Charles just talks about it. Badly.

Now that my initial excitment has died down and I have had time to reflect upon this appointment may I now take this opportunity to express, once again my thoughts on the appointment of Thomas Craig.

Initially when I took to this forum I was fair excited by the prospect of "Wee Tommy" and I took every opportunity to express this via the medium of words typed via a computing machine onto the here forum. With reflection my feeling's are now

I am still fair excited by this. As a poster said above "we didn't need a knee jerk reaction and we didn't get one". Tommy Craig has been working under the eye of the board for the last 3 years, the interviewers of managers did not need to interview for the post as the man was already working at our club. This change will bring about a much needed freshness but without the risk of appointing a complete unknowmnor inexpreienced manager. Tommy knows the player's, the player's know him, the board know Tommy, Tommy knows the board so this appointment is due to an element of trust that Tommy has built up around himself.

Tommy has proven himself in the eyes of the decision makers, Tommy will prove himself in the eyes of us, the most fickle of fans and Tommy will create himself a legend that will burn brighly for many year in Paisley.

The "Tommy years" will live long and happily in the memories of us Buddies.

Possibly a daft question, and/or one that has already been answered (apologies if so), but what is the situation regarding an assistance to Tam? Does the combination of Teale and Goodwin constitute this, or might we expect a further addition to the management team. To be honest, I would have though one or other of Teale and Goodwin would have been named assistance, with the other as player coach.

Just out of interest, do any other clubs have a similar structure (ie: manager and player coach(es) without an assistant?

[incidentally, no back-stabbing references in any response please)?

Edited by Drew

Some think at 63 Tommy is too old. Manchester United have just announced Louis van Gaal 62 as their manager.

I dont think anyone thinks TC is too old at 63. Its the fact hes 63 with minimal managerial experience that has raised eyebrows. The same cant quite be said about Van Gaal

I'm reasonably happy with this set-up. As I've described at length on the Goodwin thread, I think he's a good guy and a great person to have in the squad/dressing room. I have fewer opinions on Teale, but you'd imagine as a wide player, he'll be keen on getting some much-needed width into our team.

I have no qualms with Tommy Craig getting the job and we have to assume that he has been impressive in his three years at the club so far. We didn't need a knee-jerk appointment because they are for teams that need a sudden change in fortunes.

At least we are now settled, a decision has been made and we can concentrate on building a squad for next season.

Things I would like to see happen now:

Decision made on Harkins. In or out? If he can do it for Oldham, he can do it for us.

Gowser's situation sorted. May depend on what Harkins is doing.

A new contract for McGinn? That would be the single best thing that could happen to us his summer, IMO, and would mean he's not spending next season winding his contract down.

We need two new centre halves, a new defensive midfielder, a new attacking midfielder/playmaker (Newton and Kenny both going), a new striker, two new keepers... the list is very long.

What he said!

Snippets from a recent interview with Tommy Craig

"I know it sounds a bit romantic, a bit like rose-tinted glasses, but its absolutely true. Newcastle United are my favourite English club just as Glasgow Celtic are my Scottish club."

"And, yes, Ill be back trying to get Newcastle youngsters on loan. Ive got a great understanding with Peter Beardsley, John Carver and Steve Stone and through them Alan Pardew."

"Adam [Campbell] has two great feet, lightning pace, and is a good finisher, said Tommy. However, its his passion for the game that he needs to step up."

"We had seven kids [graduated from the U20s] out of the 16 on duty for our last game of the season and we ought to have another three added come August."

Full version of the article here.

Edited by ds10

• 3 months later...

Snippets from a recent interview with Tommy Craig

"I know it sounds a bit romantic, a bit like rose-tinted glasses, but its absolutely true. Newcastle United are my favourite English club just as Glasgow Celtic are my Scottish club."

"And, yes, Ill be back trying to get Newcastle youngsters on loan. Ive got a great understanding with Peter Beardsley, John Carver and Steve Stone and through them Alan Pardew."

"Adam [Campbell] has two great feet, lightning pace, and is a good finisher, said Tommy. However, its his passion for the game that he needs to step up."

"We had seven kids [graduated from the U20s] out of the 16 on duty for our last game of the season and we ought to have another three added come August."

Full version of the article here.

Give tommy the boot, if he loses his next 2 games he has to go.