St Mirren's New Manager Is Tommy Craig

Calderwood has no' a bad record on paper.

Dunfermline - 38% win ratio

Aberdeen - 41.% win ratio

Over 400 games in charge between these 2 clubs

Took over Killie in January who had won 16% of their games

Win ration of 30% after this and kept them up.

Took over Ross County mid Feb when they had only won 3 games all season (12% win ratio)

40% win ratio for the rest of the season.

Calderwood ain't nothing but a thuggish bully. Once the fear goes his players treat him with disdain and he gets fired.

I think the most telling thing about today's events is what never happened. Most of us knew or strongly suspected Danny was leaving at the end of the season, so that news wasn't a big surprise. The most surprising news was that Tommy Craig is still at the club. This was an assistant apparently picked by Danny.[/size]To me that signifies one of two things. One is that Tommy is about to take over. I think that's pretty unlikely, he's more of a coach than a manager and there's never been any rumours that he's after the main job in his 3 years here. The second more likely explanation is that Tommy is going to remain as assistant to the new manager. [/size]This could mean that the BoD have earmarked Murray, but won't accept Jack Ross (his assistant) coming with him due to hi[/size]s hi[/size]story with the BoD, bonu[/size]s gate et all[/size]. Therefore Murray comes to us, TC continues as assistant as a condition of his employment and acts as the very experienced sounding board, Jack Ross gets the Dumbarton job. [/size]

Alternatively, maybe they're intent on an internal promotion. Teale, Thompson maybe even Longwell, and they want an experienced coach like Tommy to be the tutor for a manager in his first ever [/size]s[/size]enior coaching job.[/size]

Thirdly, and most intriguingly, John Collins and Tommy Craig have a relationship that goes back to Johns playing days at Celtic. Tommy has been Johns assistant at both of Collins managerial roles (Hibs and Charleroi). Perhaps the reason Tommy's still here is actually because he just happens to be the new managers chosen and trusted assistant.[/size]Anyway, the only conclusion I can draw from all this is that it certainly won't be Barry f**king Ferguson! [/size]

Danny didn,t pick Tommy! He was told he was getting him after the Ian Jenkins escapade.

As regards TC staying, it's perfectly normal for a number 2 to stick around until the new manager comes in.

Unless people have specific information I wouldn't read too much into it at this stage.

BTW Stevie Clark and Owen Coyle? Are people just stating that they'd love these guys to be our next manager (which would be great) or are people genuinely thinking there is the remotest possibility of either of them coming here (which is seriously deluded).

Tommy is highly rated by the current board. I would not be surprised to see him staying on but remaining as first team coach rather than first team manager.

On Clark I agree but Owen Coyle is a realistic enough candidate IMHO. Craig Levein was sacked from a Championship job in England and took a stint at Raith Rovers to get himself back on the ladder. Coyle has a much better reputation than Levein did down there but at the end of the day he is currently out of work so any gig is going to be better than no gig. Unlikely yes. Impossible, no.

Hopefully they,ll prove me wrong but if the best we can do is a manager whose top achievement is fifth in a weak championship, a geezer from Airdrie (FFS) or an ex tax dodging, ex sevco booze merchant ...

then I can,t see me shelling out hundreds of pounds to come and watch the fare on offer. Great away day in the championship are but a season away.

Alan..! Start the Badger Parade..!

John Collins for me. I think some of his methods didn't go down well at Hibs but I'm sure he's a bit wiser and more experienced as a result of that. Already has an exisiting relationship with TC and plenty of contacts from a wonderful playing career.

I'd be equally happy with Owen Coyle if we could get him.

Nobody else is really jumping out at me.

Rumous rumours rumours.

There are rumours everywhere. Everyone has heard this and heard that, the papers are speculating on this and that.

Take everything you read with a pinch of salt would be my advice.

When Lennon was appointed he wasn't even quoted in the "favourites list". I remember at the time Willie McStay was the hot favourite.

Like them or not this board is not daft. They will already have earmarked candidates and will already have started to shortlist.

Or perhaps the sale of the club is imminent and they aren't the one's calling the shots any more.

Who knows. All will come out in the wash eventually.

John Collins for me. I think some of his methods didn't go down well at Hibs but I'm sure he's a bit wiser and more experienced as a result of that. Already has an exisiting relationship with TC and plenty of contacts from a wonderful playing career.

I'd be equally happy with Owen Coyle if we could get him.

Nobody else is really jumping out at me.

Thank ff**k for that, it's right scary when somebody does that.

Back in March I posted this..................my thoughts haven't changed much!

photo-thumb-1528.gif?_r=0 Posted by The Original 59er on 18 March 2014 - 10:41 in General St. Mirren Discussion

I've said it before and I'll repeat it for the sake of consistency...................... St Mirren's BoD's have virtually never jumped onto an experienced manager 'ship' when they have taken the decision to sack the incumbent Manager.

The track record tends to suggest we will appoint an up-and-coming manager from a lower league who has cut his teeth on promotion / good cup run / getting the best out of an inexperienced squad etc, etc...................................... come to think of it, a little like the DL of 3 or 4 years ago Flush.gif or alternatively from within.

As much as DL has had some limited success (which is obvious to the eye) he has pretty much failed in the league stats. There is a general feeling that we have a squad that should at least be competing for the top 6, but at the very worst be sitting 7th comfortably. Year on year we are making NO PROGRESS. The team has leaked important goals at the back, we seem to let certain players go then not replace them with anything better and we also lack the ability to hit any kind of consistent form.

In saying all this, the BoD's have to take any punches that are aimed at them squarely on the chin, as the writing has been on the wall for a significant period and they have stuck their collective heads in the sand and hoped that the storm would pass over......................... (sorry, probably far too many idioms). Sorry this storm isn't passing over and their reticence to act when to a huge proportion of our fans the Manager is not getting the best out of the resources, means that they, probably more so than DL, should shoulder the main part of the blame as to why we are sitting 2nd bottom. thumbdown.gif

I predict nothing will happen on the Managerial front until the end of the season, .................... I only pray that it won't be too late. Sweaty roller-coaster ride coming up,.............. anyone got the sick bucket?

Apparently Murray did speak to the Saints board, but the rumour I heard was that he's been pipped to the job by John Collins.

I would be happy enough if that were the case.

Collins or Coyle would be the potential candidates with decent experience, contacts, and a bit of gravitas to potentially make an impact.

I don't have a problem with a manager who expects his players to look after themselves. They are paid a damn fine wage for kicking a ball about, after all, and are regarded as professionals, so should conduct themselves accordingly. I've no issue with players having a few beers and a curry from time to time, but there is a balance to be struck.

Edited by Drew

An article in the Daily Ranger seems to suggest that the BoD are meeting this morning to consider a shortlist of candidates. I suspect they will still be some way off from making a decision as to whether they should have jam or marmalade on their toast at this point....

If the rumours that Murray is about to sign a new deal at Dumbarton then I have two questions - how long and who?

The prospect of serial quitter John Collins fills me with dread, and what does Barry Ferguson know about managing a diddy club in the bottom half of the SPL? OK, that's a sneaky extra question. None of the current deadpool of managers appeal to me either!

Say what you say about Lady MacBudge at Hearts but she followed the bards advice and done the dirty deed quick. death.gif

No doubt our dirty deed will end up being done dirt cheap. punk.gif

I went to the bookies to stick £30 quid on my pick for the job but got caught up in the gee-gees racing and went for a forecast at the three oclock at Kempton. I stuck a Tenner each on Sunshine, Moonlight and Goodtimes...

Won hee-haw so I blamed it on the bookie..!

Don't blame it on the sunshine, don't blame it on the moonlight, don't blame it on the good times, blame it on .............

Oh I feel such a tit cos I didn't read the post fully. Good excuse, just up and a migraine starting. Anyway back to the new Manager. If we are taken over by a foreign investor there is a reasonable chance the new manager will also be foreign which will blow the speculation wide open. Let's hope it's pretty quick one way or the other, what with a few players out of contract and some of the ones still around clearly not good enough. We won't attract any players until we have someone new in charge. Get on with it!

If the rumours that Murray is about to sign a new deal at Dumbarton then I have two questions - how long and who?

The prospect of serial quitter John Collins fills me with dread, and what does Barry Ferguson know about managing a diddy club in the bottom half of the SPL? OK, that's a sneaky extra question. None of the current deadpool of managers appeal to me either!

Say what you say about Lady MacBudge at Hearts but she followed the bards advice and done the dirty deed quick. death.gif

No doubt our dirty deed will end up being done dirt cheap. punk.gif

The 'like' was for the AC/DC reference.

I'm not sure about Collins, or any of the possible candidates, to be honest, but we need to be realistic as to the options out there, and sadly, Guardiola and Pellegrini are tied up for now.

I still maintain that the best option is a manager with a decent amount of experience and some contacts in the game, and I suspect that this is what we will get.

Never a dull moment being a Saints far, that's for sure.

Now I know the bbc website and newspapers just comes on here and pick up anything we say on this forum. I posted last night as a joke that billy Davies was seen in asda linwood. All of a sudden he's one of the contenders according to the bbc Scotland gossip column and the source is cited as the daily mail!

Edited by Big Yards

As regards TC staying, it's perfectly normal for a number 2 to stick around until the new manager comes in.

Unless people have specific information I wouldn't read too much into it at this stage.

BTW Stevie Clark and Owen Coyle? Are people just stating that they'd love these guys to be our next manager (which would be great) or are people genuinely thinking there is the remotest possibility of either of them coming here (which is seriously deluded).

The subject question of the poll was "Who would be your pick". My "pick" from the selection on offer was Stevie Clarke, but it would have been Jose Mourinho if he had been an option, (that might be a slight exaggeration to make a point).

However, if the poll question asked had been, "Who do you think we will get?", my own answer would have been Teale, Thompson or a combination of both.