Stabbed In The Back

There were two occasions during the season that the board could have sacked Danny Lennon without anyone batting an eyelid.

In fact they were abused by many for NOT sacking him on the back of two long winless runs where the tactics, formation and selection changed every week.

They didn't bow to that pressure, but gave Danny time to turn it round.

In fact they also gave him the resource in January to bring in four more players in January, five if you count Kello, and also backed him to pay off Lee Mair, a move which was widely described at the time as being completely barking given most agreed that we needed another centre half never mind one fewer.

The pay off of Imrie, having found money to actually buy him in the first place, Mair, the wasted wages on Bohaken, Grainger, Harkins & Djemba Djemba. Hundreds of thousands of pounds literally pissed away.

Starting the season with two goalkeepers without any first experience at all.

In the cold light of day can anyone really be surprised that Danny is no longer the manager of the club ?

I don't think that's the main reason many are disappointed.

It's more the, seemingly, lack of communication before the last game and since it was a done deal the board could easily have given him & the fans a chance to say goodbye.

Overall we finished 8th, joint best position in this league, a miracle considering the points you make above.

It seems many would have given him another year.

what an arseshite of a thread - conspiracy, backstabbing, secrets, insults etc etc.

Danny is gone - yip I personally would have like to have known for Saturday - for the cup win alone he deserved a proper send off (in my nice person opinion). Everyone knew he was off - the board's reason for not announcing it? who knows. As much as I dislike fitba is a business - I see it as my team 'my boys' I call them but at the end of the day SG and co are running a business.

Danny - good luck!

TC - good luck!

Goody and Teale - delighted to have them both as coaches - good luck!

what where's whys and wondering - leave it - enjoy your summer and fresh start in august :-) OH AND RENEW YER SEASON TICKET FFS

There were two occasions during the season that the board could have sacked Danny Lennon without anyone batting an eyelid.

In fact they were abused by many for NOT sacking him on the back of two long winless runs where the tactics, formation and selection changed every week.

They didn't bow to that pressure, but gave Danny time to turn it round.

In fact they also gave him the resource in January to bring in four more players in January, five if you count Kello, and also backed him to pay off Lee Mair, a move which was widely described at the time as being completely barking given most agreed that we needed another centre half never mind one fewer.

The pay off of Imrie, having found money to actually buy him in the first place, Mair, the wasted wages on Bohaken, Grainger, Harkins & Djemba Djemba. Hundreds of thousands of pounds literally pissed away.

Starting the season with two goalkeepers without any first experience at all.

In the cold light of day can anyone really be surprised that Danny is no longer the manager of the club ?

This ^^^

My interpretation of last night's radio discussion was that during last season there were a couple of occasions when the media were made aware that Danny's coat was on a shoogly peg. No surprise to anyone, least of all to those of us watching the team every week. I don't particularly like it but that's the way it seems to work in football and the media seem a bit two faced in all of this. They love the rumours, anonymous sources and private briefings stuff, it's what they live and thrive on. But they're also happy to criticise it as being unfair on the manager. To me, it's either one or the other.

The reason, frequently expressed by some in the media and fans of other clubs, for keeping Danny, was that we're a relatively small club, with a small budget, where do we expect to be? The problem is that over much of his term in office, and particularly during last season, he has spunked away much of his 'small budget' on bringing in and playing off players who have contributed nothing (or next to nothing) to the team.

I don't think that's the main reason many are disappointed.

It's more the, seemingly, lack of communication before the last game and since it was a done deal the board could easily have given him & the fans a chance to say goodbye.

The fans got a chance to say goodbye on Saturday.

At the end of the game Danny got a warm round of applause from the home support and waved farewell.

The Hearts fans regularly chanted Gary Locke's name throughout the game on Saturday. The home fans had 90 minutes plus after the game to muster a chorus in support of Danny Lennon and did not. I think that tells it;s own story.

Personally I backed Danny to the hilt apart from two wobbles, the first after the Partick Thistle game last September which was towards the end of the horrendous opening run of form and the second time was after the St.Johnstone home defeat in the run in, again at the end of a horrible run of form.

I will always be thankful to him for winning us the league cup, and the stats also don't lie, two 8th placed finishes were decent.

The emergence of McGinn, McLean, Naismith & Kelly was also great and was one of the big plus points for me of Danny over Gus.

The second was the style of football we played. I felt especially two seasons ago we were an absolute joy to watch at times. That was the close season of Teale, Thompson, Tesselaar, Hasselbaink and co. We looked fabulous until we eventually ran out of steam.

For me we never really re-captured that momentum or style. We were good to watch at times, but I always felt last season especially that Danny worried more about combating the opposition strengths than trying to capitalise on our own.

The "new" management team must be given a chance and treated as a new team. They surely deserve that.

FWIW I think the communication in general from the club over the past 2 years has been fairly shocking, long periods of silence don't do much good for morale and I think the board could do much much better in that regard. When was the last time we had a proper good Q&A session for example.

Perhaps not really surprising but the no mark pundits that shout the loudest and claim some form of mistreatement over the DL departure are invariably the ones who know the least amount St Mirren , the contracted and out of contract players, the motives of the board, the fans who watch us every week and their thoughts, some clowns in the media even fail to comprehend that the club is for sale ffs

Usual hack tabloid headline grabbing and media punditry spouting pish about a club they actually do not really give a feck about anyway

You can just sense their anxiety to get back to their comfort zone..................

"When can we get on to the Rangers International Football club again and who is and who is not buying season tickets, remember , cash only"

what an arseshite of a thread - conspiracy, backstabbing, secrets, insults etc etc.

Danny is gone - yip I personally would have like to have known for Saturday - for the cup win alone he deserved a proper send off (in my nice person opinion). Everyone knew he was off - the board's reason for not announcing it? who knows. As much as I dislike fitba is a business - I see it as my team 'my boys' I call them but at the end of the day SG and co are running a business.

Danny - good luck!

TC - good luck!

Goody and Teale - delighted to have them both as coaches - good luck!

what where's whys and wondering - leave it - enjoy your summer and fresh start in august :-) OH AND RENEW YER SEASON TICKET FFS

Thank you Miss Spangle, that sentence made me smile thumbup2.gif

Div's last paragraph regarding communication on the part of the club largely sums things up for me.

Supporters who feel a disconnect from what is going on within the club will inevitably resort to conjecture and speculation, and this is often less that helpful. Tittle tattle can be corrosive, but the club is its own worst enemy at times in terms of inviting this.

Principal exhibit for the prosecution is the chairman's interview on Sportsound last Wednesday. There was an absolutely needless reference to the discussion of Danny's position being the focal point of the board meeting on Thursday morning. This, against a backdrop of players openly making reference to their frustration regarding the state of limbo at the club regarding the manager's position and player contracts. We then had the delayed decision, which, in the light of yesterday's developments, seemed completely unnecessary. All it caused was yet more frustration, disquiet, and, yes....tittle tattle.

All notions of back stabbing etc. are a predictable - if somewhat fanciful - consequence of poor communication, and, at times, stewardship. The club really must look to enhance its PR machinery if it wants to avoid these scenarios.

Very disappointed in the original poster here, very disappointed indeed.

We do not know and cannot assume that Mr Daniel Lennon has been stabbed in the back by anyone. Could it perhaps, just perhaps be the case that Tommy Craig actually spoke to Mr Daniel Lennon prior to taking the job and did so entirely with his blessing?

To make such a statement without any real basis show's a real disregard for the well being of our new manager and the reputation of our club.

Poor show.

I am off to watch "Tommy" the rock opera.

Who sang it now?

They sang it, but then, not now. Do you not remember Them?

The fans got a chance to say goodbye on Saturday.

At the end of the game Danny got a warm round of applause from the home support and waved farewell.

The Hearts fans regularly chanted Gary Locke's name throughout the game on Saturday. The home fans had 90 minutes plus after the game to muster a chorus in support of Danny Lennon and did not. I think that tells it;s own story.

Personally I backed Danny to the hilt apart from two wobbles, the first after the Partick Thistle game last September which was towards the end of the horrendous opening run of form and the second time was after the St.Johnstone home defeat in the run in, again at the end of a horrible run of form.

I will always be thankful to him for winning us the league cup, and the stats also don't lie, two 8th placed finishes were decent.

The emergence of McGinn, McLean, Naismith & Kelly was also great and was one of the big plus points for me of Danny over Gus.

The second was the style of football we played. I felt especially two seasons ago we were an absolute joy to watch at times. That was the close season of Teale, Thompson, Tesselaar, Hasselbaink and co. We looked fabulous until we eventually ran out of steam.

For me we never really re-captured that momentum or style. We were good to watch at times, but I always felt last season especially that Danny worried more about combating the opposition strengths than trying to capitalise on our own.

The "new" management team must be given a chance and treated as a new team. They surely deserve that.

FWIW I think the communication in general from the club over the past 2 years has been fairly shocking, long periods of silence don't do much good for morale and I think the board could do much much better in that regard. When was the last time we had a proper good Q&A session for example.

If the Bod backed Danny so we'll why we're they telling journalists months ago he had a game to he then he was out?

The shit stirring about his future, the pathetic fan boy and Bod behaviour regarding Lee Mair who was past it, but wouldn't,t accept it stink...

Isn,t there a man among them who could have told Danny to his face?

The only reason Mair got back in the side was because of Bod shit stirring, then they had to eat humble pie when he was dropped through injury/form and they the BOD were cock-a-hoop when they could off load him to Thistle after realising the manager was right to drop him and tell him he could go.

At least Danny was open and honest with Mair early doors... The same cannot be said about how the Bod dealt with Danny.

Watch yir back Tam they,ll soon have the knives oot again.

Edited by Lord Pityme

If the Bod backed Danny so we'll why we're they telling journalists months ago he had a game to he then he was out?

The shit stirring about his future, the pathetic fan boy and Bod behaviour regarding Lee Mair who was past it, but wouldn't,t accept it stink...

The only reason Mair got back in the side was because of Bod shit stirring, then they had to eat humble pie when he was dropped through injury/form and they the BOD were cock-a-hoop when they could off load him to Thistle after realising the manager was right to drop him and tell him he could go.

At least Danny was open and honest with Mair early doors... The same cannot be said about how the Bod dealt with Danny.

What a crock of shite!!

Edited by WeeBud

Hi Danny :)

What a crock of shite!!

What that senior figures at the cub were briefing journalists that he was gone months ago?

That Lee Mair was past it, injury prone and unable to play consistently at this level anymore and should have gone last summer when Danny said he could?

Or have you no argument to reject these facts?

Some People have short memories, but we aren,t all daft and gullible.

What that senior figures at the cub were briefing journalists that he was gone months ago?

That Lee Mair was past it, injury prone and unable to play consistently at this level anymore and should have gone last summer when Danny said he could?

Fair points but wasn't it Lee Mair who decided to park his arse?

Probably had some unfinished networking to do......

Edited by davidg

And I see gilmour's moved his attention now to trying to get Kenny McLean sold! This on the same day as the big managerial cost cutting exercise:

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/27402255

Money on his mind, money on his mind!

Sold ? he is out of contract all we would get is a development fee which if not agreed upon can take months via tribunal. All he says is what deep down we all know. He's out of contract and at an age where he should be looking to play at a higher level if he has ambition (and suitors) to do so. He also states he has been offered the best contract we can give and would be more than welcome to stay so no point cherry picking from his statement on Kenny. On reading the whole article it's very honest.

The story that tells me personally is that Gary Locke is a Hearts legend having come through the ranks, been club captain in a cup winning season and grown up with the club running through his veins, a fans favourite. Our own equivalent would be Tony Fitz. Danny doesn't have that history & connection to our club.

The fact that so many are saying on fora and social media that they'd like to have known before Saturday that Danny was leaving tells it's own story imo - many regret not having the opportunity to give Lennon the ovation he deserved - not for the season just ended, but for the 4 years at the club, and most importantly the cup win.

For me it just leaves me feeling disappointed for Danny.

With all that being said, there's no way to change what happened and we need to now move on.

Edited by Soctty

This won't be in any way popular, but Tommy Craig has a long history of hanging about clubs when gaffers are sacked and worming his way in with a new regime. He got through six managers at Parkhead in the 80s and 90s before he was turfed. It's been his way of working for decades now.

The actions of today do nothing to change my opinion that the guy's a weasel.

I think you are right.

When the guy in charge doesn't have his contract renewed then I think the person, like the assistant manager, who was not responsible for making the final decisions should really go to his employers and ask them to stop sending him his salary every month.

I'm sure any one of us would do that.

Sounds as if you would.

You've gone from saying Directors to "senior figures" speaking to the press about Danny's time being up, go on you're obviously in the know so name names.

You're talking about BoD involvement in Lee Mair playing (or not). I'm no Lee Mair fan particularly but he was playing OK before he got injured.Are you suggesting the BoD were telling Danny who to pick??

Things happen in and around football clubs all the time but not everything needs a conspiracy theory.

Edited by WeeBud

I hope we sign a winger called Bernard in the summer, jist so I can shout "Hey, TC, get Benny on the ball!!"

Would that not be Bernie the Bolt up the wing. Surely it's a player called Benjamin we need.

Howzabout replacing Mathers as goalkeeping coach with Campbell Money?

Edited by Bud the Baker