Stabbed In The Back

One last post on this topic and then I'm done.

One way or another this reflects badly on the Board of Directors. Not because of the sacking of Danny Lennon and how they went about it - although that obviously leaves a bad taste in a number of peoples mouths - but because in all the years they've been at the club they have failed to recruit any managers who have been able to advance their careers. This highlights one of two things. Either the recruitment policy is seriously flawed and the boards ability to spot talent is seriously poor, or the managers they have recruited have been starved of support and undermined by those in the boardroom.

Compare St Mirrens record on managerial development to clubs like Inverness and St Johnstone and the deficit is very apparent.

Stuart

One way or another this reflects badly on the Board of Directors. Not because of the sacking of Danny Lennon and how they went about it - although that obviously leaves a bad taste in a number of peoples mouths - but because in all the years they've been at the club they have failed to recruit any managers who have been able to advance their careers. This highlights one of two things. Either the recruitment policy is seriously flawed and the boards ability to spot talent is seriously poor, or the managers they have recruited have been starved of support and undermined by those in the boardroom.

Compare St Mirrens record on managerial development to clubs like Inverness and St Johnstone and the deficit is very apparent.

Stuart are really bad for spinning facts into myths from outer space that being inside your head. Danny Lennon was NOT SACKED He completed his contract in full big difference

Earlier in the season, people in power at St Mirren let it be known to journalists that Lennon was finished - or as good as finished.

The information was that he might not last another game. Lennon had to put up with leaks and reading and hearing about how he was a dead man walking.

It was no secret if the press were aware.

Probably true his jacket was on a shoogly peg, but at least he was allowed to see out his contract.

Saints obviously still have a big place in your life though Stuart, I can understand your reasons (you are not alone, Cubby who ran one of the buses has not been back for years after their bus got taken for 20k by Saints, he still supports but will never go and see them while the current board are in place).

When the board finally do go, will you return fully?

Nah, only when Stewart Gilmour leaves. wink.png

Again selective of your recollection of events.

Firstly that season we finished 8th out of 10th (almost relegated)

Another 7 points would have put us in 3rd place. (based on results we were never going to achieve it)

After we replaced Roy with Hillcoat our run of results improved for the season. Hillcoat was more than a replacement for Roy at the time.

Also Hendrie was not sacked until the following season.

You seem to have a habit of spouting information and passing it off as fact

To back this up, Raith came to Love Street near the end of that season, and had we lost the match we would have been 2 points off the bottom with 5 games left. Hillcoat was undoubtedly man of the match, and we sneaked a 1-0 win.

To back this up, Raith came to Love Street near the end of that season, and had we lost the match we would have been 2 points off the bottom with 5 games left. Hillcoat was undoubtedly man of the match, and we sneaked a 1-0 win.

Aye, recall that.

Hillcoat was very important for us around that time, and probably shaped up better than many of us had anticipated.

Would that not be Bernie the Bolt up the wing. Surely it's a player called Benjamin we need.

Howzabout replacing Mathers as goalkeeping coach with Campbell Money?

Aye, corect. Brain wasn't in gear, but you get my drift. What about a police sergeant dog handler called Bilko with a doberman?

After the League Cup Final of 2010, Hammarby was just a blip.

Absolute shite, if I may say so. That was a stroll in the park in comparison. The game against Swedish team can be seen as a pivot point on the fortunes of the club. The downward slide that saw relegation, wilderness years and near bankruptcy started that very night. In light of this the League Cup Final of 2010 was just a blip.

Absolute shite, if I may say so. That was a stroll in the park in comparison. The game against Swedish team can be seen as a pivot point on the fortunes of the club. The downward slide that saw relegation, wilderness years and near bankruptcy started that very night. In light of this the League Cup Final of 2010 was just a blip.

Aye ! thumbup2.gif

I disagree with this view as I think the board have done well with identifying talent. Hendrie was a success in getting us promotion and almost keeping us in the league at a time when all our competitors were seriously spending money on players. Macpherson was a success by getting us promotion and keeping us in the spl. Lennon succeeded by keeping us up and winning us a national trophy for the first time in a generation. That seems like decent talent spotting to me?

And yet despite that Hendrie went to Alloa and is now back teaching. McPherson went to Queen of the South and is now out of work. John Coughlin has job around the lower ranks of Scottish Football at Stenhousmuir and East Stirling and is now out of football and Danny Lennon is jobless and out of work.

Just think how much success St Mirren could have had if the board had actually managed to appoint a manager with real ability OR if they had backed the managers that did have ability in the same way that boards at St Johnstone and ICT have clearly done in recent years.

Edited by Stuart Dickson

And yet despite that Hendrie went to Alloa and is now back teaching. McPherson went to Queen of the South and is now out of work. John Coughlin has job around the lower ranks of Scottish Football at Stenhousmuir and East Stirling and is now out of football and Danny Lennon is jobless and out of work.

Just think how much success St Mirren could have had if the board had actually managed to appoint a manager with real ability OR if they had backed the managers that did have ability in the same way that boards at St Johnstone and ICT have clearly done in recent years.

Gus is manager of Queens Park.

You still have not answered the question I posed earlier.

How many of the three major domestic honours have St Johnstone and Inverness won between them?

Just like in business some difficult decisions have to be made with football clubs that may not prove popular.

Ultimately the decision lies with those in charge who OWN the club.

Since you are so very successful, extremely knowledgeable and no doubt financially secure why don't you buy St Mirren and demonstrate your skills?

Remind me again how many major domestic trophies that Motherwell have won since 1991? A team that had spent more on players and managers than our wee diddy club?

Look at Aberdeen - vast sums of money on players and failed managers and until this year the only silverware they had to show in decades was the old urinals from Love St.

A way and get yourself to f**k with your petty crusade against Gilmour, McAusland and co.

Where is the relevance in that argument? If you want to talk about national trophies as a success why sack the manager who delivered it? Why not support him, encourage him and give him the opportunity to deliver more instead of plotting against him to get him out? No matter how you look at it Slash, it reflects badly on the directors of the club. Either their talent acquisition and recruitment programme is fundamentally flawed, or they are failing to support, develop and encourage the people they put into the post. It's got to be one or the other.

As for the ownership of the club I think without doubt that should revert to the local community. The five of them have a f**king cheek with their ridiculous valuation of the business though. £4m for a company that hasn't turned anything more than a token profit in 14 years. f**k that.

Edited by Stuart Dickson

Where is the relevance in that argument? If you want to talk about national trophies as a success why sack the manager who delivered it? Why not support him, encourage him and give him the opportunity to deliver more instead of plotting against him to get him out? No matter how you look at it Slash, it reflects badly on the directors of the club. Either their talent acquisition and recruitment programme is fundamentally flawed, or they are failing to support, develop and encourage the people they put into the post. It's got to be one or the other.

As for the ownership of the club I think without doubt that should revert to the local community. The five of them have a f**king cheek with their ridiculous valuation of the business though. £4m for a company that hasn't turned anything more than a token profit in 14 years. f**k that.

Please, be a man of your word, let this go!

Sold ? he is out of contract all we would get is a development fee which if not agreed upon can take months via tribunal. All he says is what deep down we all know. He's out of contract and at an age where he should be looking to play at a higher level if he has ambition (and suitors) to do so. He also states he has been offered the best contract we can give and would be more than welcome to stay so no point cherry picking from his statement on Kenny. On reading the whole article it's very honest.

Except he's specifically suggesting he should ply his trade in England, therefore guaranteeing a big cheque. I wouldn't expect we'd see that money invested in the team, would you?

What like Owen coyle who had a larger budget than macpherson but still couldn't beat us to promotion that season...

The other side of the argument is something you will always win on as the board will not 'back' managers with anything more than a budget for survival - financial responsibility unlike rangers, hearts, Motherwell and a host of other sides.

Anyway, sorry we won't hear from you again but you might be back at st mirren park on a regular basis sooner than you think...

If you want to talk about national trophies as a success why sack the manager who delivered it? Why not support him, encourage him and give him the opportunity to deliver more instead of plotting against him to get him out? No matter how you look at it Slash, it reflects badly on the directors of the club.

The board backed Danny to the hilt this season.

From winning the league cup in March last year the team won 1 game in SIXTEEN across all competitions. 8 games at the end of last season and 8 at the start of this season. The board did not panic and stuck with it. Almost certainly because of the cup win.

Had Lennon been sacked then few would have batted an eyelid in my opinion. That is a sacking run of form in anyone's book.

The board backed Danny, allowing him to pay off Lee Mair (having already paid off Dougie Imrie and that was having paid money to get him in the first place !), allowing him to ship out pretty much all of his summer signings, and yet still allowing him to bring in 5 more players in January (Kello, Campbell, Djemba, Magennis, Wylde).

The team started 2014 in abysmal form again though, with one win in 11 games, losing 8 of those.

Again the board could easily have sacked Danny at that point but they did not.

I'm guessing that during that time they perhaps thought Danny had taken us as far as they could but that sacking him would have been fairly pointless given we had the security blanket of Hearts to ensure that the worst scenario was the Play Offs.

He could and should have gone during either of those runs. He didn't.

The club gave Danny four years. Danny gave us some good memories, and some bad.

The parting of the ways was neither a back stabbing nor a "plot". It was a sensible move to try and freshen the place up with some new ideas.

Still, don't let the facts get in the way Stuart !

The board backed Danny to the hilt this season.

From winning the league cup in March last year the team won 1 game in SIXTEEN across all competitions. 8 games at the end of last season and 8 at the start of this season. The board did not panic and stuck with it. Almost certainly because of the cup win.

Had Lennon been sacked then few would have batted an eyelid in my opinion. That is a sacking run of form in anyone's book.

The board backed Danny, allowing him to pay off Lee Mair (having already paid off Dougie Imrie and that was having paid money to get him in the first place !), allowing him to ship out pretty much all of his summer signings, and yet still allowing him to bring in 5 more players in January (Kello, Campbell, Djemba, Magennis, Wylde).

The team started 2014 in abysmal form again though, with one win in 11 games, losing 8 of those.

Again the board could easily have sacked Danny at that point but they did not.

I'm guessing that during that time they perhaps thought Danny had taken us as far as they could but that sacking him would have been fairly pointless given we had the security blanket of Hearts to ensure that the worst scenario was the Play Offs.

He could and should have gone during either of those runs. He didn't.

The club gave Danny four years. Danny gave us some good memories, and some bad.

The parting of the ways was neither a back stabbing nor a "plot". It was a sensible move to try and freshen the place up with some new ideas.

Still, don't let the facts get in the way Stuart !

That sums up the whole scenario , succinctly. .

I couldn't have done any better. .

After reading this thread I've come to the conclusion.......

Time to close this one Mods......Please.

Agreed board should be cleaned up or all merged. Its time to move on though close season usually brings the tedious posts out as we all have not much to write about apart when signings take place or the preseason tour. Thank god for the world cup that should help. I'm out in Brazil just now tickets all bought up touts asking silly money. Due home on the 11th of June which I'm worried about as I can see my back to back not being able to get a flight with thousands of fans flying in.