St Mirren Squad 2014/2015

(Stolen from Official Forum)

The new management team is now in place. So it's time to kick on and get our squad organised for the new season. Hopefully, TC will prove me wrong.

Signed up for next season:

Harkins
Kelly
McAusland
McGinn
Naismith
Reilly
Wylde
Teale

Goodwin

Thompson

Out of contract:

Brady
Dilo
Djemba-Djemba
Kello
McGowan
McGregor
McLean
van Zanten
Yaqub

Newton (Loan Expiring)

Campbell (Loan Expiring)

Magennis (Loan Expiring)

I've not seen enough of Brady & Yaqub to form an opinion.

I'd keep Dilo and hopefully sign him up on a long term deal. I'd release Kello and bring through one of our younger keepers as a back up.

I'd keep Van Zanten as a squad player/back up but with a salary to reflect this role. I'd also keep McGregor.

I'd release Djemba-Djemba but keep McGowan.

Unless McLean signs a two year deal, I'd let him go to a team down South else we run the risk of him leaving in a year for nothing.

I reckon we also need to sign up another center back, cover for Kelly, a new right winger, cover for Thompson and a striker with a bit of pace.
I wouldn't offer Newton a deal as I don't see anywhere for him to fit in to the team, nor would I try and get Campbell or Magennis back on loan.
Edited by Tam M

Would try and keep Kello and McLean. Cant see either staying.

I don't think McGowan will get a bigger gig this summer, would offer another year if wages are fair enough.

Offer Newton and McGregor another year. Magennis could be a decent squad player and is out of contract.

Keep Dilo! Hard to say if DVZ is up to the job of being back up to Naismith, has he got 10-15 games in him for another season?

Keep Thompson obviously. Sign a half decent back up for him. No way will he manage over 40 games next season. Someone like Scott Vernon .

I'd like to see DJ DJ with a proper pre season under his belt, he was so far off the pace when he first arrived. Can maybe provide adequate cover and would be great for the youngsters.

I don't think McGowan staying or going comes into it. If anyone wants him, they can have him.

Eh ? It's not like St Mirren supporters to turn on anyone who has went through a tough season and maybe not as focused as they should be , however no doubt about it McGowan on his day is head and shoulders above most of our squad. For me a key player who I hope we can sign if not there will be plenty teams out there who will snap him up.

Eh ? It's not like St Mirren supporters to turn on anyone who has went through a tough season and maybe not as focused as they should be , however no doubt about it McGowan on his day is head and shoulders above most of our squad. For me a key player who I hope we can sign if not there will be plenty teams out there who will snap him up.

You misunderstand. I meant McGowan doesn't come into it in the case of Harkins. If anyone wants to take his contract off our hands (Harkins, not McGowan) they can have him. This isn't my opinion, it's a fact.

I'd keep McGowan in a heartbeat.

Is there a reason why you have omitted our top goalscorer for the last 3 seasons and currently no26 in the all time Saints goalscoring list?

As I understand the terms of the deal Thommo is eligible for an additional year due to the number of appearances he made.

Unless TC is going to sign a star from this years World Cup?

Saints have some history trying to sign World Cup stars. Alex Smith had agreed a £100,000 deal for Oleg Blokhin but the Board turned him down.

Alex Smith was also offered Ozzie Ardilies and Nico Claesen plus cash in exchange for Ian Ferguson but that did not go through.

Those who actually signed for Saints after appearing at a World Cup include Steve Archibald, Roy Aitken, & Victor.

Sadly those days are long gone.....

Thompson updated. whistling.gif

Gowsers had a tough season, mainly brought on by himself in a moment of stupidity. Teams also know what to expect from him now and have nullified his threat. Thankfully in the last few months that allowed McLean to run riot. Also was hilariously played out of position at the start of the season.

McGowan needs to get back to the basics, get a good pre-season under his belt and build up some confidence. Can't see teams from down South lining up to sign him. Hope to see him back in the stripes next season.

You misunderstand. I meant McGowan doesn't come into it in the case of Harkins. If anyone wants to take his contract off our hands (Harkins, not McGowan) they can have him. This isn't my opinion, it's a fact.

I did indeed mat

I did indeed mate apologies

Craig and co haven't even got their feet under the table and you are "in the know"?

Harkins' complaints appeared to focus around Danny. Danny's gone. Harkins is, IMO, more likely to get near double figures than Gowser as a number ten. The one thing Gowser has in his favour is he is like a miniature rottweiler who hounds anyone in the vicinity. Harkins is more cultured in his style.

The new management team is now in place. So it's time to kick on and get our squad organised for the new season. Hopefully, TC will prove me wrong.

Harkins

Kelly

McAusland

McGinn

Naismith

Reilly

Wylde

Teale

Goodwin

Thompson

Out of contract:

Brady

Dilo

Djemba-Djemba

Kello

McGowan

McGregor

McLean

van Zanten

Yaqub

Newton (Loan Expiring)

Campbell (Loan Expiring)

Magennis (Loan Expiring)

I've not seen enough of Brady & Yaqub to form an opinion.

I'd keep Dilo and hopefully sign him up on a long term deal. I'd release Kello and bring through one of our younger keepers as a back up.

I'd keep Van Zanten as a squad player/back up but with a salary to reflect this role. I'd also keep McGregor.

I'd release Djemba-Djemba but keep McGowan.

Unless McLean signs a two year deal, I'd let him go to a team down South else we run the risk of him leaving in a year for nothing.

I reckon we also need to sign up another center back, cover for Kelly, a new right winger, cover for Thompson and a striker with a bit of pace.

I wouldn't offer Newton a deal as I don't see anywhere for him to fit in to the team, nor would I try and get Campbell or Magennis back on loan.

Kello is retiring so, he is definately away. I think we have to sign an experience goalkeeper (Jamie MacDonald) as two young keepers might not be the best idea.

Vanzy is off, he has confirmed this.

Chairman confirmed last night McLean has been offered a new deal, a "Super" deal.... We will need to wait and see but my money is on him going to the championship.

Hopefully Mr Craig can get a Gem from the championship and not a Gareth Wardlaw type player.

We need a winger... Ryan Stevenson hopefully. Can't remember the last time St Mirren had width on the Right and the Left. Next season Gregg Wylde will be an important player. A midfield with him, goody, mcginn, mcgowan and stevenson would be a good midfield.

Hans Vukic from Newcastle is a good young striker, would like to see us try a loan deal for him

Craig and co haven't even got their feet under the table and you are "in the know"?

Harkins' complaints appeared to focus around Danny. Danny's gone. Harkins is, IMO, more likely to get near double figures than Gowser as a number ten. The one thing Gowser has in his favour is he is like a miniature rottweiler who hounds anyone in the vicinity. Harkins is more cultured in his style.

Thanks for putting words in my mouth. I never claimed to be in the know.

As a matter of fact, I have quoted our own chairman word for word from the POTY awards on Saturday. When asked if we might get a small fee seeing how well he's done at Oldham, SG stated that if they or anyone else want him they can have him with as simple as a transferring of his contract.

Harkins

Kelly

McAusland

McGinn

Naismith

Reilly

Wylde

Teale

Goodwin

Thompson

Out of contract:

Brady

Dilo

Djemba-Djemba

Kello

McGowan

McGregor

McLean

van Zanten

Yaqub

Newton (Loan Expiring)

Campbell (Loan Expiring)

Magennis (Loan Expiring)

• Harkins/McGowan - Lennon couldn't fit them into the same team successfully & I'd be inclined to punt one of them if possible. Prefer to keep McGowan.
  • Teale - Getting old & creaky, don't see him starting too many matches next season, see his role being more Coach than Player.
  • Dilo/Kello - Depends on budget but I'd be happy fot both to stay - keeping Dilo more of a priority as he will get better.
  • McGregor - Not the player he was in his first season and probably one tackle or trip away from being finished. Wouldn't be in a rush to resign him but wouldn't mind if he stayed.
  • McLean - Love to keep him but he'll be off, the offer of a new contract was obviously just to ensure we were entitled to whatever development compensation was available.
  • Van Zanten - Goes with my best wishes.
  • EDD -Goes with any bunnets that are left unsold.
  • Brady/Yaqub - No idea!
  • Newton - Would love to keep him but expect him to go so we'll have to replace him.
  • Campbell - Will be gone, don't expect to see him back.
  • McGennis - Nothing against the guy but essentially he's a striker who can't score, so no.

Need 1/2 CH's (depending on whether we keep McGregor) plus cover at LB/RB maybe a versatile defender who can play in a couple of positions, a couple of midfielders with maybe one who can cover defensive positions in an emergency, a right winger plus backup/support for Thompson - probably 7/8 players in total.

Happy that the managerial situation has been resolved pretty quickly - role on next season!

TC was just on the radio there saying he reckons we need 8 extra players and the situation with the out of contract players will be sorted in the next 48 hours.

8... does this include the out of contract players? It's going to be an interesting summer.