St Mirren Squad 2014/2015

Gowser is no great loss now. I think he was probably 'meant' to leave last summer - at the time his extension seemed like amazing news, but he had an off season, which may or may not have been caused by the off-field problems he was having.

We and he should probably move on now. Thing is, I can't imagine he would move down south - strikes me as the sort of fella who'd like to stay nearer home. So the chances of him coming back to haunt us in, say, a Motherwell shirt seem fairly likely.

Obviously if he signed for someone like Motherwell or Dundee United I wouldn't be that arsed. It would hurt if he ended up at Accies or Dundee or Thistle or somewhere like that.

Extremely surprised to read so many fans not bothered about losing Gowser. I think he will end up at Aberdeen , Motherwell or Dundee Unt and we will sit back and wish he never left when we see his skills coming to the fore again.

On the other hand it will be good to see a few changes because the team underachieved which is strange because this was the best St Mirren team ( potentially ) since the 80's

Well, I think he's great - look at my 'top man' - but sometimes I think things are just meant to be. I suspect his head was away last summer and it was only his 'problems' that led him to think he ought to stay at Saints for another year. He clearly stayed with us as it was the easier option while you're going through some bother with the law.

If he'd got a big move last summer, the court case could have really f**ked it up for him (if he'd had jail time, for example). He might not have had another chance at a decent money-spinning contract at a bigger club than ours.

If he'd been sent down, he'd have been sacked from a one-year contract with Saints, not a two/three-year contract with a bigger club. He played the same hand I would have done in the same situation, but I don't really think it did Saints any favours.

McGowan has generally been a great player for us but he's not a natural goalscorer. He's been integral to the way we play and was the guy who linked everything but he tended to hold on to the ball a lot and that slowed the game down when we were attacking.

Maybe he needs a fresh start and I think he'll probably be a success if he stays in Scotland but it might not be a disaster for us. When McGowan played, it was behind Thommo and it maybe limited the opportunity to put 2 up front at times or play with one or two attacking wide men.

I said at the beginning of last season that Danny/BoD's had made a mistake in signing Harkins then re-signing Gowser. It had to be either, or.

I'm not saying Harkins will set the heather on fire but he should be able to play in his preferred position IF TC gives him the chance.

If Gowser does go we still have Harkins if he is willing to stay , maybe a run in the team playing Gowsers position will show us what he can do , we know he is a luxury player but as he has shown at Oldham can become a key player.

and he's still ours, so you play him or sell him.

Maybe just maybe we haven't offered McGowan a contract because McGinn and/or McLean have accepted improved terms.

I actually think it's not outside the realms of possibility that McLean will re-sign. Definitely think McGinn will be away, but I got the impression from Kenny's last interview that if the offers weren't right from other clubs, he would sign a new contract with us.

I still think both of them will probably go, however. Turned into a right pessimist. :(

Regardless of Gowser going I would still offload Harkins. We need a team all pulling for each other and he is certainly not a team player. I think our next signing will be significant as it will allow us to see what calibre of player Craig is trying to sign.

It is fair to say McLean will be off. The chairman virtually told him to get a club. We are looking to bring in cash so I expect McGinn to move on as well. TC has a really big rebuilding job on his hands.

Which I imagine he'll see as a plus as it allows him to get his own men in straight away.

I actually think it's not outside the realms of possibility that McLean will re-sign. Definitely think McGinn will be away, but I got the impression from Kenny's last interview that if the offers weren't right from other clubs, he would sign a new contract with us.

I still think both of them will probably go, however. Turned into a right pessimist. sad.png

Beginning to sound like elvis.