Yaqub

D. Hughes

Brown

Attack

Thompson

Marwood

Reilly

(Trialist - Caldwell)

If a couple out of the youngsters can do as Naismith and Kelly did last season then TC might not be too far away with the squad he wants.

Will be interesting to see if we bring in another midfielder. Stevenson would have been the marquee signing I suppose, but maybe that money ended up being used to keep Kenny.

I wouldn't be too unhappy with that squad if the 2 trialists turn out okay. A bit light but there will be a cut from losing the Edinburgh away supports. Also, we have to persist in giving the academy players a chance.

The squad is beginning to take shape:

GK

Kello

Ridgers

K. Hughes

Defence

Naismith

Kelly

McAusland

Plummer

Williams

(Trialist - Mevla)

Midfield

Goodwin

McGinn

McLean

Wylde

Teale

Yaqub

D. Hughes

Brown

Attack

Thompson

Marwood

Reilly

(Trialist - Caldwell)

If a couple out of the youngsters can do as Naismith and Kelly did last season then TC might not be too far away with the squad he wants.

Will be interesting to see if we bring in another midfielder. Stevenson would have been the marquee signing I suppose, but maybe that money ended up being used to keep Kenny.

I wouldn't be too unhappy with that squad if the 2 trialists turn out okay. A bit light but there will be a cut from losing the Edinburgh away supports. Also, we have to persist in giving the academy players a chance.

We still need about 5 signings, the squad isn't good enough yet. We have released 11 players and brought in 2 outfield players and 1 goal keeper, lots of work to be done yet in the transfer market.

We still need about 5 signings, the squad isn't good enough yet. We have released 11 players and brought in 2 outfield players and 1 goal keeper, lots of work to be done yet in the transfer market.

Don't forget that Williams and Brown have been brought into the first team squad. Yaqub and Reilly are also ready to be involved again after lengthy injuries.

Would be very surprised if there are 5 more signings before the start of the season. Most of the Scottish-based players worth signing have picked up new contracts with new clubs after their old deals expired last month. We will not sign anyone for money so are into trialist / loanee territory now. I reckon a maximum of 3 more signings before August with cash left over for another couple in January.

Don't forget that Williams and Brown have been brought into the first team squad. Yaqub and Reilly are also ready to be involved again after lengthy injuries.

Would be very surprised if there are 5 more signings before the start of the season. Most of the Scottish-based players worth signing have picked up new contracts with new clubs after their old deals expired last month. We will not sign anyone for money so are into trialist / loanee territory now. I reckon a maximum of 3 more signings before August with cash left over for another couple in January.

Reilly is isn't good enough and I would be surprised if he could even cut it in the championship. There must be budget for atleast 3 players. If there isn't atleast another 3 brought in I will be surprised and very disappointed.

Are you happy with 1 loan signing and a goalkeeper and 1 outfield player? If that's all we are getting then we are being conned by the board. Let's hope there is more signings to come.

Reilly is isn't good enough and I would be surprised if he could even cut it in the championship. There must be budget for atleast 3 players. If there isn't atleast another 3 brought in I will be surprised and very disappointed.

Are you happy with 1 loan signing and a goalkeeper and 1 outfield player? If that's all we are getting then we are being conned by the board. Let's hope there is more signings to come.

Couldn't agree more with your point about Reilly. A few folk on here thinking that he's an option-he's a complete last resort and even then I would hope we would have enough depth and wouldn't need to rely on players like that. He wasn't good enough last season so with a lack of game time and injuries there's no way he'll be any better this season.

We need at least another 3 signings minimum although we could definitely be doing with more... We've got like 13 senior outfield players at the moment and that's including Reilly FFS!

Promoting players to the first team squad is a great idea in theory but if they dont have the talent to be seriously challenging for a starting place then its just a numbers game, aimed at papering over the cracks .Reilly's name comes up every close season and its pretty sad to be honest,managers and fans alike have never fancied him and as much as we would love him to morph into a first team regular its not going to happen .Add youth and fringe players to 1st team squad by all means but do it for the right reasons and not to get the body count up

I would like at least another 3 signings, but we have to be realistic and say we might not get that. Have a look at our transfers over the past few seasons. Very few players come in after July 1st. The majority of squads are fairly settled as pre-season training begins.

We have missed out on Stevenson, possibly Craig and no doubt others who have opted to go elsewhere. The players available for us to get in at this stage are

a. still at their club but unwanted

b. on the dole

c. loanees.

The quality is not going to be high, and we might have to hope we get lucky with an unproven Isma-type unknown. That might mean that TC keeps hold of his money until January.

Wouldn't surprise me if we get the usual "quite happy with the squad but still looking" statement in the next week or so.

Edited by Julian Banjos

I would like at least another 3 signings, but we have to be realistic and say we might not get that. Have a look at our transfers over the past few seasons. Very few players come in after July 1st. The majority of squads are fairly settled as pre-season training begins.

We have missed out on Stevenson, possibly Craig and no doubt others who have opted to go elsewhere. The players available for us to get in at this stage are

a. still at their club but unwanted

b. on the dole

c. loanees.

The quality is not going to be high, and we might have to hope we get lucky with an unproven Isma-type unknown. That might mean that TC keeps hold of his money until January.

Wouldn't surprise me if we get the usual "quite happy with the squad but still looking" statement in the next week or so.

There's being quite happy with the squad and there is taking the piss and if the club are quite happy to start the season with our current squad they are taking the piss.

Was there not an interview with Tommy Craig after he got the job saying he wanted 8 quality players in?

If this is all we are getting we are getting its piss poor.

We may have a first 11 Drew but little cover all over the squad. The young guys may surprise us and do very well like Naismith & Kelly or disappoint like so many have done before. We certainly need more cover for all areas bar goalkeeper as windae cleaner says.

Only position we are well covered for is Goalkeeper

Very light

Definitely.

Ideally, we need cover at right back (or a 'utility' defender at the very least); another central defender who would be as good as guaranteed to start when available; a right sided midfielder; and another striker. That would be four additions.

By all accounts, we have a defender and a striker on trial, so that potentially covers these positions, but the right side concerns me, and we are also pretty light on the left as things stand. McLean can play on the left (and has had a few decent games there), as can McGinn, but neither should be deployed there as a matter of course. Wylde is our only natural left-sided midfielder/forward player, and this isn't adequate unless one of the young lads can feature in this position.

Still work to be done.

We may have a first 11 Drew but little cover all over the squad. The young guys may surprise us and do very well like Naismith & Kelly or disappoint like so many have done before. We certainly need more cover for all areas bar goalkeeper as windae cleaner says.

Aye, anything fewer than four further additions would be very disappointing.

I'm not concerned as to whether they be full contracts or loan deals, but we need to beef up the current squad.

There's being quite happy with the squad and there is taking the piss and if the club are quite happy to start the season with our current squad they are taking the piss.

Was there not an interview with Tommy Craig after he got the job saying he wanted 8 quality players in?

If this is all we are getting we are getting its piss poor.

I think TC like the rest of us expected McLean and McGinn to move on meaning the money we would have made put back into the squad

I'm afraid we won't see a great deal coming in

I think TC like the rest of us expected McLean and McGinn to move on meaning the money we would have made put back into the squad

I'm afraid we won't see a great deal coming in

We must have freed up a fair amount of the wage budget, though.

Several players have left who would have been on decent money (Harkins, Van Zanten, and McGowan most notably).

Kello won't be on washers, nor will McLean now, but we haven't brought anyone else in thus far who will be commanding a hefty wage, I wouldn't have thought. I would imagine there are funds for a few more players yet.

Edited by Drew

"Want" and "get" are two different things. Signing "8 quality players", in one summer, who are affordable and want to play for us? Maybe he set himself up for a fall there. There are a few in that bracket who have signed for other clubs, but I can't think of anyone obvious who is still available. Unusually, there is also very little in the way of rumoured signings. Names were banded about a few weeks ago, but there's not a lot of chat now.

The squad is beginning to take shape:

GK

Kello

Ridgers

K. Hughes

Defence

Naismith

Kelly

McAusland

Plummer

Williams

(Trialist - Mevla)

Midfield

Goodwin

McGinn

McLean

Wylde

Teale

Yaqub

D. Hughes

Brown

Attack

Thompson

Marwood

Reilly

(Trialist - Caldwell)

You are easy pleased if you think we will not be trying to escape relagation with this sqaud need a couple more players