World Cup 2014

andyswann2007

Had to laugh at the ITV poll which had Ronaldo ahead of Messi as best player in the world. Messi is by far the greatest player I have ever seen, bar none, and I'm in my 50s. A genius

An impossible debate I'm afraid.

Ronaldo is certainly in that bracket, at this moment in time, whether you like it or not so it's not an impossible outcome.

The best many have ever seen, again, is impossible to really come to any real conclusion.

Pele, Maradonna, Cruyff, Eusabio, Best..................all in my lifetime and as the coverage in previous years wasn't close to what's available now there's no way to really choose.

Certainly we (over 50s) have been lucky to have "seen" some astounding football players.

Ronaldo is a fantastic player.

Personally I think Messi is better, but there is very little between them.

A lot of people let Ronaldo's personality & the media's perception of him cloud their judgement of his footballing ability.

Ronaldo is a fantastic player.

Personally I think Messi is better, but there is very little between them.

A lot of people let Ronaldo's personality & the media's perception of him cloud their judgement of his footballing ability.

Beckham suffered a similar perception.

I get it at work, good looking people have a cross to wear. wink.png

Arbroath just got a mention on the build up on ITV. thumbup2.gif

Anyway, next game, South Korea v Algeria.

Another "heads or tails" game for me I'm afraid.

Algeria were shit against Belgium, I never seen Koreas first game, they only scored due to comical goalkeeping against Russia.

A 0-0 draw.

Glad you're not picking my coupon FS!

The South Korea v Algeria game was superb entertainment. Could easily have finished 4-4 in the end. South Korea were denied two stonewall penalties as they made their comeback and there were a fair number of goal line clearances and good saves as well. When Algeria went 3-0 up I thought they'd simply shut out the South Koreans and slow the game down as they did in their first game. Instead the game pulsed and flowed from end to end.

And then the USA v Portugal game had a superb second half and a really dramatic late equaliser after a piece of magic by Ronaldo - what a cross that was. That group has been the best of the bunch so far. The USA have been a breath of fresh air with the way they battle in matches and Ghana have been superb to watch, as have Germany.

Holland looking good against Chile, very tight technical game.

Thats the sign of champions, playing pish but still winning.

2-0, first team to 9 points,

Holland - the team to watch tongue.png

bring on the mexicans

hopefully it'll be Brazil they are playing. Come on the Mexicans!

There's far too many European teams in the tournament, and they're stinking the place up.

Another night, another one of them out. Spain, England, Bosnia, Portugal and now Croatia.

Hopefully FIFA cuts back on the amount of places allocated to UEFA for future tournaments.

Edited by TopCat

There's far too many European teams in the tournament, and they're stinking the place up.

Another night, another one of them out. Spain, England, Bosnia, Portugal and now Croatia.

Hopefully FIFA cuts back on the amount of places allocated to UEFA for future tournaments.

I see no reason why a european team can't win this tournament in brazil, the last time the world cup was in south america was in 1986 in mexico.

The game has changed dramatically since then, Germany and holland have played games early afternoon, mid afternoon and evening in this world cup and have

shown they can cope easily with the conditions, It is not out of the question for it to be a holland v germany final.

I see no reason why a european team can't win this tournament in brazil, the last time the world cup was in south america was in 1986 in mexico.

The game has changed dramatically since then, Germany and holland have played games early afternoon, mid afternoon and evening in this world cup and have

shown they can cope easily with the conditions, It is not out of the question for it to be a holland v germany final.

A European team may win the tournament.

It doesn't mean there's not far too many of them in the tournament, there's 12 for goodness sake. What's the point in no hopers like Bosnia, England and Greece taking away spots from other confederations?

In future I'd have:

8 Europe

6 South America

6 Asia

6 Africa

4 Central and North America

1 host

1 play off winner - play off between 4 biggest confederations.

Not sure about your Germany point either. They beat another European side easily, but had to come from behind to snatch a point against an African team.

Edited by TopCat

A European team may win the tournament.

It doesn't mean there's not far too many of them in the tournament, there's 12 for goodness sake. What's the point in no hopers like Bosnia, England and Greece taking away spots from other confederations?

In future I'd have:

8 Europe

6 South America

6 Asia

6 Africa

4 Central and North America

1 host

1 play off winner - play off between 4 biggest confederations.

Not sure about your Germany point either. They beat another European side easily, but had to come from behind to snatch a point against an African team.

Puzzled?

Do you really believe, and this would only be an opinion, there are better teams from other areas?

In future I'd have:

6 South America

So if that was the case, out of the 9 teams from South America, 6 of them would've qualified for this year's World Cup? That's absolutely ridiculous.

Also, do the Oceania countries just give up football too?

You do know that traditionally the Europeans do the best out of the confederations - one blip (i.e. this year's World Cup - which hasn't even finished yet) doesn't make much of a difference to the stats overall.

Number of European semi-finalists: -

2010 = 3

2006 = 4

2002 = 2

1998 = 3

1994 = 3

1990 = 3

1986 = 3

1982 = 4

Europe traditionally do worse in South America, as do the other confederations when it's held in Europe (or practically anywhere else really). One poor World Cup (if it ends up that way for the Europeans) is unusual. I will predict right now, the European confederation will be the strongest in Russia 2018.

Finally, what 5 teams replacing the 5 removed from Europe do you think would've put on a better showing than the European ones?

Puzzled?

Do you really believe, and this would only be an opinion, there are better teams from other areas?

Yes. New Zealand were unbeaten at the last World Cup, they aren't here. Would also love to see teams like Panama ( who just missed out ) and more African teams like Egypt etc.

Blatter's spoken before about reducing European contingent, let's hope this World Cup makes him do it.

So if that was the case, out of the 9 teams from South America, 6 of them would've qualified for this year's World Cup? That's absolutely ridiculous.

You do know that traditionally the Europeans do the best out of the confederations - one blip (i.e. this year's World Cup - which hasn't even finished yet) doesn't make much of a difference to the stats overall.

2010 = 3

2006 = 4

2002 = 2

1998 = 3

1994 = 3

1990 = 3

1986 = 3

1982 = 4

Europe traditionally do worse in South America, as do the other confederations when it's held in Europe (or practically anywhere else really). One poor World Cup (if it ends up that way for the Europeans) is unusual. I will predict right now, the European confederation will be the strongest in Russia 2018.

Finally, what 5 teams replacing the 5 removed from Europe do you think would've put on a better showing than the European ones?

Beat me to it.

I was going to look into this but didn't have time.

To say England are no hopers, when this is the fist time in a million years they haven't got out of the group stages, is ludicrous.

2010 = 3

2006 = 4

2002 = 2

1998 = 3

1994 = 3

1990 = 3

1986 = 3

1982 = 4

There's 6 South American teams at this World Cup. 4 of them have already qualified for the last 16, and the other 2 may join them in the next week.

I'm not saying there's not elite level European teams, there is. Because we have nations like Spain and Germany etc, does that mean it should be easier for our continents no hopers like Bosnias and England to qualify than it is for exciting developing nations like Burkina Faso and Jamaica? They couldn't do any worse, could they? And they'd add some diversity to the tournament.

Why this disparity? Why this accident of geography? It you're lucky enough to be close to a lot of elite teams you should get more qualifying spots?

It's the World Cup, it should be for the World. It's not the European Championships plus invited guests.

Edit I'd have the winner of the Oceania section - New Zealand - play off against the 6th placed Asian team.

Edited by TopCat