Return Of The Hark?

I also imagine Gary has no desire to return here. He did okay by all accounts in league 1, and I'm sure if Oldham don't fancy him one club at either that level or league 2 would take over his contract.

Hopefully anyway, I don't believe he's got the necessary attributes to succeed at this level.

I heard he did have a pulse, and a massive over inflated ego... What else does he need in the SPFL?

I would like to see Harkins given another chance, think he definitely has something to offer us, he has been on fire while at Oldham with some of there fans referring to him as God down there, Tommy might be able to get more out of him than Lennon, certainly worth a go.

Amazing-the arch proponent of change lobs in a suggestion to go back to one of last year's failures

Don,t..... Give a f**k when I,m...... Tippy tapping on the inadequate keyboard of an iPad where most of my time is spent correcting the pishy predictive text.

That's the same opinion as I have of this iPad keyboard I'm using now.

Oldham want him for £100k (on Oldham forum)

Eta ; They have said their goodbyes to him and general consensus is 'St Mirren don't realise what they have etc'

If they are going to pay 100k for him I'll drive him back there myself.

If they are going to pay 100k for him I'll drive him back there myself.

I was chatting on the Oldham forum and that what was mentioned ( who knows what's in forum speculation) however they do like him ( fans) and would be happy for him to join.

They can't understand why ' a team like St Mirren' can't or won't play him.

Sell! Sell! Sell! 100k? Take it.

The guy has talent, he's also a 3 handicap golfer so he has bags of natural ability.

If he had the attitude/engine/workrate/enthusiasm of a John McGinn or Paul McGowan - he'd be in the English Premier League earning megabucks.

The only thing is, we'd have scored more goals with Harkins in the team than McGowan.

His attacking attributes outweigh any need for him to defend. For someone apparently so poor for us, he probably contributed more in terms of goals and assists than the rest of our attacking players in a shorter spell.

I'd quite like to see him back, but if Oldham were to offer cash I'd settle.

If McGowan is going to leave then Harkins is a plausible option to sit in the middle of the park and pick attacking passes.

His work rate isn't great but it really shouldn't need to be if you can get him enough of the ball to be effective.

Gowser was poor for me this season though, I'm not entirely convinced he's going to be inundated with offers from down South.

On his day he's brilliant but he has been in poor form for quite a while now IMHO.

If what has been said is true there is going to be a return to playing far more passing football. Harkins is clearly a talented player but I suppose the question is can we afford a player not grafting to defend and win the ball back when we are not in possession?

If we can and he can reproduce the form he has shown at Oldham great, but all indications until now would suggest we cannot afford this luxury and Harkins isn't going to change any time soon...

If McGowan is going to leave then Harkins is a plausible option to sit in the middle of the park and pick attacking passes.

His work rate isn't great but it really shouldn't need to be if you can get him enough of the ball to be effective.

Gowser was poor for me this season though, I'm not entirely convinced he's going to be inundated with offers from down South.

On his day he's brilliant but he has been in poor form for quite a while now IMHO.

for me the major difference between the two is ball retention. When Harkins manages to pull off a wee trick that works it's awesome but when it doesn't work, which is more often than not, he can't get the ball back. Gowser may keep the ball too long but at least when he he has it he generally keeps it away from the opposition or if he loses it he bursts his balls to get it back.

McGowan over Harkins for me every day of the week.

Harkins is a flashy player, but only when it suits him. McGowan is guilty of slowing things down at times, and hasn't had a great season, but, as Hambud highlights, he gets stuck in, and also links play up well. He needs to be coached out of some bad habits, but he is certainly a good player at our level, whereas Harkins is patchy at best.

Edited by Drew

Just 9 games he started for us.

Not many creative, goalscoring midfielders who are proven at this level and we will most likely be losing McLean.

Maybe TC has other ideas, but I would give Harkins another chance.

He isn't proven at this level though.

I'd like to see what Harkins can really do if settled and happy and all that good stuff!

The Thistle fans called him "fat Zidane" - not that I'm trying to make that much comparison but if you watch that Zidane film with the Mogwai soundtrack, you will see the cameras on him alone for 90 minutes.

Most of the time when he is not on the ball, he drags his toes on the turf and then gets sent off before the final whistle! I think if I wasn't into football and know just what Zidane could do/did, I would have thought he was a bit shite and a proper lazy bastard so I can kinda see what the Jags folk are on about!

If he doesn't have the right attitude or whatever then it would be great if Oldham did take him but unless you are inside the dressing room and at training, you don't know what goes on.

All I'm saying is I was really excited when this boy signed for us and he never really got going, I'd quite like to see an on-form Gary Harkins tearing it up in that stupid ice hockey referee Saints shirt next season, so crazy it just might work...

If they offered £100k then surely we must take that!!

£100K plus (potentially) two years of top end salary saved by shipping him off to Oldham.

It's a no brainer.

IMO the player has absolutely no respect for the club at all.

If we are playing 2 strikers then Harkins has to play wide and is ineffective. If we play Thommo up with Harkins in behind then that is only likely to happen if Gowser and Kenny are off. Thought we would be happy to get him off the books but any possibility of a fee would be a major bonus.