Return Of The Hark?

It's a bit of a shame when he has had flashes of been a very talented player, but it appears the team has to be set up with him as the key player doing what he does best.

The lack of grafting for the team is the downfall. If this were to change give him another chance. If not free the wage and move on...(if possible)

Edited by Bart Simpson

Oldham fan in peace.

I was wondering what Harkins has done to upset you lot so much. Since joining us on loan he's become a firm fans favourite , has been nicknamed by some as Sir Gary and has virtually single handedly kept us in the division.

From what we've seen he's class for our level and don't understand why he doesn't get played with you.

Reading some of the earlier comments saying of how £100k would make some drive him to us now. At £100k you'd get 3 coach loads of latics fans meeting you at Carlise.

Oldham fan in peace.

I was wondering what Harkins has done to upset you lot so much. Since joining us on loan he's become a firm fans favourite , has been nicknamed by some as Sir Gary and has virtually single handedly kept us in the division.

From what we've seen he's class for our level and don't understand why he doesn't get played with you.

Reading some of the earlier comments saying of how £100k would make some drive him to us now. At £100k you'd get 3 coach loads of latics fans meeting you at Carlise.

He's shite and lazy.

Maybe the standard isn't as bad up here as you lot and sky tv let us believe.

For the last half a dozen or so games of the season when we actually started to look decent, McGowan was arguably the weak link in our attack.

For the position he was playing, ie floating about behind and supporting thommohawk, he is really poor - someone should really be able to shoot properly when played there. It was shown by the fact he was taken off in nearly every game early in the 2nd half.

It seems unless wer playing with two wide men supporting thommohawk, allowing McGowan to be the supplier rather than the supplyee(?), there's no place in our team for McGowan.

If Harkins had been here, there is no doubt he would have been playing in that role, it is made for him. It's just a shame that we took so long to start playing that formation.

As for McGowan, if we can't play him there and we can't play him wide (which we know we can't) then I think its time up for McGowan. I would rather take Harkins tbh.

Oldham fan in peace.

The problem Paisley folk have is that if they had their house up for sale they would be showing folk round and say,

"Did I mention that there is dry rot in the loft, and the garden floods every winter, and the cooker only has one ring, and more importantly the neighbours are Ronger's supporters?"

"Where are you going?"

"I've got more to tell you."

The problem Paisley folk have is that if they had their house up for sale they would be showing folk round and say,

"Did I mention that there is dry rot in the loft, and the garden floods every winter, and the cooker only has one ring, and more importantly the neighbours are Ronger's supporters?"

"Where are you going?"

"I've got more to tell you."

Now that is ' The relativity of the theory '

Oldham fan in peace.

We have a high caliber of midfielders (to many) and he was at the end of the queue whistling.gif

We have a high caliber of midfielders (to many) and he was at the end of the queue whistling.gif

Although the calibre is all relative, there's actually plenty of truth in this. One of Danny's failings was how unbalanced the squad was, where we had a dearth of strikers, a defence that was no more than adequade (in strength and depth), yet we had a (relative) embarrassment or riches in attacking midfielders. We've had guys on the bench/injured all season who would have strolled into the starting line up and been key players a few years back.

On that note, Danny tried to build the midfield around Gary Harkins, and we had a historically bad start to the season. I think, after six games, it was our worst start to a season, ever. E.g. he was playing McGowan deep to accommodate Harkins, and not playing McGinn at all. The idea of John McGinn being left out of the team for anyone is, of course, laughable now.

Here's the key part if anyone wants to know why Gary Harkins wasn't getting a game for St Mirren.

Unfortunately for Harkins, there is a clear correlation between that horror run ending, and him not playing any more.

In his seven starts when the midfield was built around him, we had one draw and six defeats.

As soon as he was dropped, that run ended, and we lost one of the next ten games.

What's the manager going to do? Start playing him again, and make him the main man again?

Paul McGowan is easily better

I don't think it's as simple as that. Harkins is undoubtably a very gifted footballer. More so, IMO, than Mwan. Paul beats him hands down for sheer graft and determination. If the chips are down, he's your man.

IF you have a midfield full of grafters then you can afford to give Gary free rein. It's difficult, though not impossible, to accomodate that type of player but it would be great if could teach the old dog new tricks and develope him into a hard working but still gifted individual. This would send his value through the roof and increase his earning potential into the bargain.

Oldham fan in peace.

Whilst a gifted footballer, Harkins has been absolute star quality up here for both Partick Thistle (when they were 2nd division) and Dundee (when they were 1st, and latterly bottom of Premier league)....this was mainly because he was the focal point of everything in both these sides and they were of comparatively poor quality to him, so he was a stand out for both.

The problems are that when he's moved to clubs with a clear step up in quality from those levels, (us and Kilmarnock), he's never been able to make the transition. He seems to realise that he isn't the best player at these clubs (we have John McGinn, Kenny McLean and Paul McGowan...all much better central midfielders, Kenny even more technically gifted than Harkins), all of our attacking play won't essentially go through him and evidently he throws the toys from the pram.

He done the exact same think at Kilmarnock and done so in rapid time here, instead of trying to fight for a place and show his gaffer and the fans what we've been missing, he instead took to twitter with another expensive dud (Danny Grainger) and they decided between them to have thinly veiled digs at both club and manager.

Is there a place for Harkins? Well, Kenny is almost certain to leave (Ipswich, Bournemouth and several other English Championship clubs are sniffing), John McGinn will go if a massive transfer offer comes in (which most of us are praying it won't, we'd rather have him here another 2 or 3 years), and Paul McGowan may or may not move on, so yes, there is potentially a place for him and trust me, he'd weaken our midfield compared to how it looks today. However, going from our own chairman's words at the POTY do, he's made a lot of enemies within the confines of the club and would have to work hard to make amends, something I don't think his personality will allow for.

Oh and as said before, this league isn't half as poor as the media would lead you English folks to believe.