Newton

Mearns Saint

Heard from a mate in London that Millwall were up watching him at the Hearts game and are currently in talks to sign him as Newcastle haven't offered him a new deal. Anyone else heard anything on this?

I think he would be worth keeping as there is definitely a good player in there somewhere but he's been out of form for a while so I wouldn't be overly disappointed if we didn't offer him anything.

Can't afford.

I wouldn't like us to part with his alleged £4000 a week demands.

What you demand, or your agent demands, and what you get can be poles apart. It does seem though that even League One clubs in England can compete with every club in Scotland apart from Celtic so far as wages are concerned. And possibly the assholes just along the road for a wee while longer.

What you demand, or your agent demands, and what you get can be poles apart. It does seem though that even League One clubs in England can compete with every club in Scotland apart from Celtic so far as wages are concerned. And possibly the assholes just along the road for a wee while longer.

I think you'll find things are even worse. League 2 AND some below can compete , even outstrip, our wage ceilings.

I think you'll find things are even worse. League 2 AND some below can compete , even outstrip, our wage ceilings.

Bloody hell! If that's true you have to worry about the future for Scottish Football. Maybe Shull will have a few ideas.

Average League One salaries are approx 1500 quid a week, and League Two 1250 quid. I understand that even at non league level, the few full time clubs pay up to 1000 quid a week.

Average League One salaries are approx 1500 quid a week, and League Two 1250 quid. I understand that even at non league level, the few full time clubs pay up to 1000 quid a week.

I wonder what the average in the SPL is if you take Celtic out of the equation. Would St.Mirren's top pool not average around 1500 a week basic? And we are supposed to be one of the poorest payers albeit we are realistic.

When I saw "Newton" , l was expecting something on his third law. . very clever guy of course . .

When I see the name Newton I always think ' Ooh, arrr, Jim Lad!' It will probably ring a bell with a few. Maybe eight bells.

A little bit more than that. At the beginning of last season, the PFA quoted average league 1 salaries at 1,700 - 2,500. League 2 at 1,300-1,500. In other words, the average salary of a player at the lowest paying club in league 2 is £67,500 a year.

Bloody hell! If that's true you have to worry about the future for Scottish Football. Maybe Shull will have a few ideas.

To be honest most clubs outside the EPL are rooked financially and attendance's are falling too. A lot are on the brink so expect a number to reduce squad size and wages over the next few years. Still pay more than we do and short career so if he gets a better deal he should take it.

A little bit more than that. At the beginning of last season, the PFA quoted average league 1 salaries at 1,700 - 2,500. League 2 at 1,300-1,500. In other words, the average salary of a player at the lowest paying club in league 2 is £67,500 a year.

Three/four years ago years ago i worked with a guywhose mates played with Yeovil and another couple of lower league one teams. All on £2 to 3K a week.

I think the higher figure is salary plus bonuses, appearance money and other add-ons. I think most players in league 2 are nearer six figures a year when all the perks are taken into account. That's about equal to most SPFL teams. Scotland can't compete with League 1 sides at the moment.

To be honest most clubs outside the EPL are rooked financially and attendance's are falling too. A lot are on the brink so expect a number to reduce squad size and wages over the next few years. Still pay more than we do and short career so if he gets a better deal he should take it.

Nobody can blame them following the cash. The days of lads following the dream and staying faithful to the team they supported as a child are long gone. Steve Gerrard is nearly the only one I can think of and I suppose Giggs and Scholes to some degree. Gerrard went through some bad times with Liverpool and stayed loyal. Will he ever get a league winners medal now? Probably not.

Nobody can blame them following the cash. The days of lads following the dream and staying faithful to the team they supported as a child are long gone. Steve Gerrard is nearly the only one I can think of and I suppose Giggs and Scholes to some degree. Gerrard went through some bad times with Liverpool and stayed loyal. Will he ever get a league winners medal now? Probably not.

a European / Champions League cup isn't too bad though!

These are basic salaries. Bonuses would bump it up a bit.